Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Not sure if you guys understand what it takes to get a perfect smooth wall. It's VERY VERY labor intensive to not only skim the walls but to get drywall that's on a wall to be perfect. And I've t takes time exper Ence and skill. Watching HGTV or a YouTube video doesn't mean you are now a expert. If you don't get it right you will see EVERY imperfection in that wall. Every dip curve bump and mistake.
On older houses the framers rarely did the straight edging ad furring out the studs. (Which is still not done to every house even today) So the drywall follows whatever the curve of the studs when the initial framing was done happens to be. Some framing companies are really good about discarding twisted wood but some use it all up.

So before you go nuts flattening your walls grab a long level and see how straight your current wall and drywall really is. You'll see the bumps and dips

Texture hides a lot of mistakes.
This is what I was trying to say above. Only, it's not just "mistakes". Don't forget that wood warps over the years and even the best built house will do a certain amount of settling. So even if everything is straight, level, and plumb on the day of closing, 10-20-50-100 years along, nothing will be so.

Oh, and don't forget that if you ever have to have any drywall repair to your totally flat walls, the cost will be much higher because all the repairs have to be blended in perfectly.

I just don't get why everyone in whole regions of the country is so freaked out by texture on the walls, while in other areas it's standard practice and no one thinks anything of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 10:35 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
This is what I was trying to say above. Only, it's not just "mistakes". Don't forget that wood warps over the years and even the best built house will do a certain amount of settling. So even if everything is straight, level, and plumb on the day of closing, 10-20-50-100 years along, nothing will be so.

Oh, and don't forget that if you ever have to have any drywall repair to your totally flat walls, the cost will be much higher because all the repairs have to be blended in perfectly.

I just don't get why everyone in whole regions of the country is so freaked out by texture on the walls, while in other areas it's standard practice and no one thinks anything of it.
It really depends on the texture that is on the walls. Back in the 70's, bio mom had a house and they used the same pointy texture on the ceiling as well as the walls. That stuff was horrid.

That kind of texture should absolutely be removed or filled in. Subtle texture is not a big deal... at least to me.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:09 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
While I would not choose textured walls nor popcorn ceilings, I would not go through the trouble and cost to remove them.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Most textured walls today are the orange peel or knock down type. Smooth walls and ceilings look great but are very labor intensive and truthfully imo a expense that I could do without. Besides I doubt it's really going to bring anywhere near the resale value you think it will. Sort of like a pool. It's nice but not everyone is going to want to pay for it .
Now I understand getting rid of popcorn ceilings, hell I did that to every rental we have when remodeling it with one exception.
But to go through the headache and expense of skimming and sanding then primering and painting all the textured walls in a house? Especially if you're living in it ..... I guess if you got that kind of money and it's a do or die go for it.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:01 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I would have picked smooth walls if that had been an option when building, but the builder only offered knock down. But at least I could get square corners, vs the rounded off ones in my last house, which I really disliked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating