Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:24 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,310,425 times

Advertisements

Or should you leave more of your floor exposed? I have an ottoman and sofa. Then across the room in another corner is a loveseat and TV stand. I'm assuming the area rug doesn't need to extend to under them too - right? Then it would practically take over the whole room. (You can disregard the other thread I started - I had to send back that area rug.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Most people buy area rugs that are too small and they end up looking like postage stamps.

The front legs of sofas and chairs should be on the rug. The ideal is that the rug go completely under the furniture so that front and back legs are on it, but that often isn't possible.

Why is the loveseat across the room and separated from the sofa? If they match, they should be in an "L" shape. Do you have a photo of the room?

Old 08-07-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Most people buy area rugs that are too small and they end up looking like postage stamps.

The front legs of sofas and chairs should be on the rug. The ideal is that the rug go completely under the furniture so that front and back legs are on it, but that often isn't possible.

Why is the loveseat across the room and separated from the sofa? If they match, they should be in an "L" shape. Do you have a photo of the room?
Hmmm. I see what you're saying. This room layout probably makes it hard to get the right kind of area rug. I'll do a picture later. Basically, the place I'm renting is a completely open-concept living room/dining room. It's more like a small dining area in the corner. If I were to put the loveseat on one end to form an L, it would block my sliding glass door to the balcony. On the other end, I think it would look strange how it would almost cut into the dining area (and also the back of the loveseat would be the first thing you'd see when you entered the room). It's a 16x20 room and it doesn't have great lighting. I'll try to figure out how to get a good picture showing all of it.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:

I agree about the legs of a sofa being on the rug.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:17 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
I read an article recently that talked about the three "acceptable" ways to place an area rug in a living area:
1. With all chair legs off the rug. If a coffee table is used, it would be on the rug.
2. With the front legs of the chairs on the rug.
3. With front and back legs of chairs on the rug.

It gave suggestions for when each way would be more appropriate. Sorry I don't remember where I was reading this, but you could Google.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:

Here is a picture I found online from the community's model. I think they used a wide angle lens to make the room look a little longer. It looks like they just have one very long couch in this room. I wouldn't want to put my loveseat and sofa in one long line, though. It would steal the area that is supposed to be for a small dining set up next to it. The placement of the cable connection forces the TV to be on the side of the room in the picture. If the loveseat forms an L on the further part of the room, it would block the balcony door and on the other end, I think it would look strange that the first thing you'd see when you enter the room would be the back of the loveseat. I'll still do a picture of my room later.
Attached Thumbnails
Should area rug extend to under sofa?-room.jpg  

Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
That skinny rug under the coffee table adds nothing. I would definitely get an 8x10 or at least a 5x7 rug to complement that couch.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post

If the loveseat forms an L on the further part of the room, it would block the balcony door and on the other end, I think it would look strange that the first thing you'd see when you enter the room would be the back of the loveseat.
That is exactly where the loveseat should be and it's the only place it should be.

There is nothing wrong with seeing the back of a loveseat. It would define the living area from the dining area and it would feel more intimate for conversations.

That would be the most functional and aesthetically pleasing arrangement. Period. End of story.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 PM

143 posts, read 166,839 times
I would put the sofa against the wall and a loveseat facing the sliders. You can always put a console behind the loveseat with some pictures, a lamp or a pretty vase.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsOnCoffee View Post

I would put the sofa against the wall and a loveseat facing the sliders. You can always put a console behind the loveseat with some pictures, a lamp or a pretty vase.
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating