Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:20 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 08:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I would also go with B. Other than sleeping and getting dressed I am never in my bedroom. However I would love to have a bigger dining room so I could host some of the family holiday dinners.

But OP it depends on your needs. Do you have people over to eat often? Are you looking to sell and want what is more of a draw for buyers?

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 06-25-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I would go with B.

Our bedroom is bigger than our kitchen but we do have a big dinning room so that suits our needs.

Cat

Old 06-25-2017, 04:53 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
New home purchase but we are only going to be in this home for 4-5 years so resale is a big consideration. It's an open floor plan. No formal dining room ( we absolutely don't want one we've had one in every home we've owned and it's waisted space for us.). Our plan is to downsize from our current home. I wouldn't say it's a small home at 2600 sq feet but for us it's the smallest we've owned. All of our previous homes have had ridiculously huge master and secondary bedrooms. Our current room is 25' x about 18'. Such a waste. We are don't do anything in there but sleep. We are not bedroom TV watchers. All that said since we've always had such huge masters and bedrooms I'm not sure how big of a need one is for resale purposes. Also since there is only one dining area in both models we're looking at I would think larger is better. There is a trade off one has smaller master bigger eating area and the other bigger eating area and smaller master.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Definitely B. You will spend more time in other areas than your bedroom.
Exactly my thoughts.

I think you need to talk to an experienced realtor in your area for the answer to which choice is better for resale.

But I only sleep in my bedroom. I can do so much more in a roomy eating space, and I can do it with family or friends.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I'm with Kledgebldr. I'd say "C" because I don't need a jumbo sized eat in kitchen (dining room is preferred). I'd also prefer a moderately sized master (ours is 15x17, enough to fit bed, nightstands, sitting area, desk. we don't have big bulky furniture).

Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
For the life of me, i just simply cannot understand why the master suite has to be so huge.
I absolutely see no reason. I dont live in my bedroom, its big enough for the usual pieces of furnature.

id rather have the space better utilized in the living space.

A kitchen can never be too big, I would absolutely rather have the larger eating space. I spend mre time in my kitchen and eating area, as i use the kitchen table to do just about everything on it, from folding clothes to arts and crafts.

I use the bedroom to sleep, thats it

Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
For the life of me, i just simply cannot understand why the master suite has to be so huge.
I absolutely see no reason. I dont live in my bedroom, its big enough for the usual pieces of furnature.

id rather have the space better utilized in the living space.

A kitchen can never be too big, I would absolutely rather have the larger eating space. I spend mre time in my kitchen and eating area, as i use the kitchen table to do just about everything on it, from folding clothes to arts and crafts.

I use the bedroom to sleep, thats it
If the doors are positioned correctly, i.e., a definite long headboard wall, and even better, a bathroom that is in opposite (to one side) of the bed so each party gets to get up and not go around to the other side of the bed to get in, a 15 x 12 bedroom will easily suffice a king-sized bed, nightstands, a dresser and maybe even a small chair- everything else around that is just wider circulation. It's one thing if you have/like a huge house, but you certainly don't have to have it and in the OP choice a bigger dining area definitely requires more generous circulation around the furniture to be comfortable enough for use often.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:18 AM

143 posts, read 167,027 times
As someone with children I would definitely prefer a bigger eating area in the kitchen. We have a stupid huge sized bedroom right now and I consider it wasted square footage.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsOnCoffee View Post
As someone with children I would definitely prefer a bigger eating area in the kitchen. We have a stupid huge sized bedroom right now and I consider it wasted square footage.
You can always reassign a huge bedroom to some other purpose. One of our houses had a ginormous master suite. We turned it into a family room/game room. Having the ensuite bathroom and large closet made it a truly fantastic place for the family to hang out. And the blank wall that was meant for a king sized bed turned out to be perfect for setting up a projector and watching movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating