Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 03:09 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

I just bought a gallon of stain-blocking oil-based primer, suddenly I have another question: can I use water based paint over oil-based primer? Or it does not matter what type of primer?

For kitchen, which type of paint should I choose? Water based paint or oil based paint?

For bathroom, which type of paint should I choose? Water based paint or oil based paint?

For bedroom, which type of paint should I choose? Water based paint or oil based paint?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 03:17 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
No. Oil over oil , latex over latex. Also you shouldn't do a flat paint over anything but a flat paint. eggshell on up to gloss can go over flat but not visa versa. Seeing as it sounds like you don't have a lot of painting experience I would recommend latex or as you've labeled them water based paints as they are easier to work with. Oil based paints are difficult to work with unless you have experience with them. Also oil based paints will "yellow" over time, have more odor and take longer to dry. Anyone working at the paint counter should be able to walk you through this fairly easily. That is what they're trained for! I would recommend you ask for assistance and ask them to set you up from start to finish for your described project/s.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
No. Oil over oil , latex over latex. Also you shouldn't do a flat paint over anything but a flat paint. eggshell on up to gloss can go over flat but not visa versa. Seeing as it sounds like you don't have a lot of painting experience I would recommend latex or as you've labeled them water based paints as they are easier to work with. Oil based paints are difficult to work with unless you have experience with them. Also oil based paints will "yellow" over time, have more odor and take longer to dry. Anyone working at the paint counter should be able to walk you through this fairly easily. That is what they're trained for! I would recommend you ask for assistance and ask them to set you up from start to finish for your described project/s.
True, I do not have much experience, that is why I have so many questions these few days? How about the two attached photo? Is it water-based paint in the photo? I was planning to apply the remaining paint over that primer.

For water-based paint, latex paint, oil-based paint, which one should I choose for kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom?

How to tell if it is water-based paint or oil-based paint (if it does not say it clearly)? How about Benjamin Moore aura interior paint? Is it water-based or oil based? I am trying to find a paint which can apply to both bathroom and bedroom. I can find another paint for kitchen wall wood panel.

Benjamin Moore Aura Paint - Buy Aura Paint & View Price - Aura Paints

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I use water-based paint over oil-based primer?-water-based-paint.jpg   Can I use water-based paint over oil-based primer?-oil-based-primer.jpg  

Old 07-02-2017, 04:02 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
I've done a LOT of painting around my house (like, the whole house inside at least twice), so I have some thoughts. First, yes, forget the oil based paint. It is horrible to work with and terrible to clean up after (brushes, etc). Stick with latex. That Behr paint & primer in one paint is wonderful in my experience. The only time you should need primer for walls is if you're covering a much darker color with a much lighter color. If the old and new colors are about the same darkness, the Marquee should do it for you. Worst case is that you would need a second coat. I did have to paint my kid's bedroom once which had been painted in a midnight blue (with glow in the dark stars, it was cool). I did use primer first and the the Marquee covered in one coat. Since you mentioned kitchen & bath, are you painting cabinets too? If painting over wood cabinets you will need to prime them in order to get the paint to stick. I always prime cabinets TWICE and it works great. I recommend Zinnsser Bullseye latex primer, it's great. Kilz is more for stain blocking and not as good IMO. Use good quality rollers and brushes and clean out your brushes well after use, they'll last for years. Have fun, I love to paint.

Oh, one more thing. If you're painting over semi-gloss or glossy paint, you should prime first in order for the paint to stick better.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I've done a LOT of painting around my house (like, the whole house inside at least twice), so I have some thoughts. First, yes, forget the oil based paint. It is horrible to work with and terrible to clean up after (brushes, etc). Stick with latex. That Behr paint & primer in one paint is wonderful in my experience. The only time you should need primer for walls is if you're covering a much darker color with a much lighter color. If the old and new colors are about the same darkness, the Marquee should do it for you. Worst case is that you would need a second coat. I did have to paint my kid's bedroom once which had been painted in a midnight blue (with glow in the dark stars, it was cool). I did use primer first and the the Marquee covered in one coat. Since you mentioned kitchen & bath, are you painting cabinets too? If painting over wood cabinets you will need to prime them in order to get the paint to stick. I always prime cabinets TWICE and it works great. I recommend Zinnsser Bullseye latex primer, it's great. Kilz is more for stain blocking and not as good IMO. Use good quality rollers and brushes and clean out your brushes well after use, they'll last for years. Have fun, I love to paint.

Oh, one more thing. If you're painting over semi-gloss or glossy paint, you should prime first in order for the paint to stick better.
Thanks for the information. Please help me choose the right type of paint.

No, I am not going to paint cabinet, I am going to paing kitchen wall wood panel, and I need to stronger color to stand out upper port of white wall. So I do need primer for wood panel, please help me choose a primer.

Lower floor, it is wood panel, I am going to paint it with a light color, and I need primer too.

Bathroom, it is wallpaper now. I need to tear the wallpaper off, then use prime, then paint it.

Another bathroom (lower floor), I believe it is already latex paint (but I am not sure, since I don't know about it. I don't need to do it, but I could also do it with the same color of upper floor bathroom or the same color of lower wall wood panel.

Thank you very very much!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Can I use water-based paint over oil-based primer?-kitchen.jpg   Can I use water-based paint over oil-based primer?-lower-floor.jpg  

Old 07-02-2017, 04:55 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Thanks for the information. Please help me choose the right type of paint.

No, I am not going to paint cabinet, I am going to paing kitchen wall wood panel, and I need to stronger color to stand out upper port of white wall. So I do need primer for wood panel, please help me choose a primer.

Lower floor, it is wood panel, I am going to paint it with a light color, and I need primer too.

Bathroom, it is wallpaper now. I need to tear the wallpaper off, then use prime, then paint it.

Another bathroom (lower floor), I believe it is already latex paint (but I am not sure, since I don't know about it. I don't need to do it, but I could also do it with the same color of upper floor bathroom or the same color of lower wall wood panel.

Thank you very very much!!!
Again go to the paint store or paint counter. Take your pictures and explain your project to them. They are trained on this. They will get you the right products and tell you the steps to take with them. Also if you do what they tell you to do and there is an issue you will have some recourse if something doesn't go correctly. They guarantee their products for just this reason. I can't stress this enough. We are basing our advice without seeing your surfaces first hand . If you're not willing to do this I think you will gain a better understanding by googling step by step instructions and watching you tube videos. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 PM

531 posts, read 452,335 times
Yes, a good latex like the Behr you showed will go over oil-based primer. However, there is spot primer and surface primer. Read the label on the oil-based Kilz and see if says not for walls. Kilz 2 latex primer works just as well.
There is no reason to use oil paint for interior surfaces.
Glossy surfaces should be sanded before painting. Bare wood needs primer. Varnished wood must be stripped because the paint won't stick to the varnish.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
It depends.

I've used oil-based Kilz on several walls when removing wallpaper. Enzyme/steaming/washing is never a perfect guarantee to removing all paste. And paste can be reactivated by the water in the latex paint. So, I seal the walls with the oil-based Kilz. After a few hours of drying time it can be sanded- and we're ready for paint!

The important part of all of this is the finish paint has a tooth in-which to attach itself too.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
My sister definitely painted latex over oil. She needed to paint her textured, popcorn ceiling, in a smallish area. She knew the pitfalls of the stuff falling off when painting with a roller. The guy at, I think Home Depot, said to first paint with oil base, the oil will not "dissolve" the texture and seal it. The paint with latex ceiling paint. That was over a year ago and is still fine.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 15,956 times
Question need advise on water based over oil primer (Kilz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It depends.

I've used oil-based Kilz on several walls when removing wallpaper. Enzyme/steaming/washing is never a perfect guarantee to removing all paste. And paste can be reactivated by the water in the latex paint. So, I seal the walls with the oil-based Kilz. After a few hours of drying time it can be sanded- and we're ready for paint!

The important part of all of this is the finish paint has a tooth in-which to attach itself too.
I just started painting my living room in an old home. could not remove wall paper with out completely damaging wall. i am on big budget , and am doing this myself. so.... i am using plaster over the areas where the wall paper is most noticable, and then i have put a layer of oil based Kilz. so far , so good. i would love to use a water based paint over the oil based primer. is this advisable? or should I do oil over oil?

Last edited by sadeland21; 07-29-2018 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: need more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating