Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Choose tile or grout to match or echo your hardwood color. For instance, you could choose white tile and then choose grout in a lighter tone of the hardwoods. That way you have a relationship between the two floor surfaces.

Or you could choose a tile to match or echo your hardwoods, and then choose a light gray grout.

I do like your kitchen, by the way. I think you have done an excellent job so far. Kudos!
Thank you!!!

Interesting idea! I like it! I'm going to google that today to get an idea of what that contrast would look like. It sounds great! Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, thank you! I did a whole thread a while back when we were gutting and renovating the kitchen, but it's been a couple of years. Here are a few pictures though:
LOVE!!! That piece of furniture (WOW!!!) with all the lovely things on it. SO BEAUTIFUL -- all of it!!

And, um, your floor? I love it! Is it cork?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Thank you!!!

Interesting idea! I like it! I'm going to google that today to get an idea of what that contrast would look like. It sounds great! Thank you!!

LOVE!!! That piece of furniture (WOW!!!) with all the lovely things on it. SO BEAUTIFUL -- all of it!!

And, um, your floor? I love it! Is it cork?
I think travertine flooring, like the flooring in the picture I posted (since you asked to see it) would look great on your kitchen floor.

You have a beautiful kitchen and I can't wait to see what type of flooring you pick out, and the total effect. Something tells me that you are going to pick out exactly the right thing.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-25-2017 at 05:33 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I think travertine flooring, like the flooring in the picture I posted (since you asked to see it) would look great on your kitchen floor.

You have a beautiful kitchen and I can't wait to see what type of flooring you pick out, and the total effect. Something tells me that you are going to pick out exactly the right thing.
Never mind my floor now. I want to see more of your kitchen! I want to come over and look at all your gorgeous pieces while we have coffee and giggle.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Never mind my floor now. I want to see more of your kitchen! I want to come over and look at all your gorgeous pieces while we have coffee and giggle.
Well, I want to come over to YOUR house and look at YOUR new floor and your kitchen colors and pottery and all the cool stuff you've done. Forget coffee - I'll bring a bottle of wine!

Seriously though - I do think a transition in your flooring would be fine since you have a natural "break" due to cabinets, from what I recall. I mean, in a different configuration - if you had a big expanse of flooring that just flowed into the kitchen without a natural break, I'd say continue the hardwood flooring into the kitchen (though I'm personally not a big fan of hardwoods in a kitchen generally - they look nice but seem potentially problematic to me). But it seems like you have a walkway on one side of some cabinets so in that case I think a transition would look absolutely fine.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Well, I want to come over to YOUR house and look at YOUR new floor and your kitchen colors and pottery and all the cool stuff you've done. Forget coffee - I'll bring a bottle of wine!

Seriously though - I do think a transition in your flooring would be fine since you have a natural "break" due to cabinets, from what I recall. I mean, in a different configuration - if you had a big expanse of flooring that just flowed into the kitchen without a natural break, I'd say continue the hardwood flooring into the kitchen (though I'm personally not a big fan of hardwoods in a kitchen generally - they look nice but seem potentially problematic to me). But it seems like you have a walkway on one side of some cabinets so in that case I think a transition would look absolutely fine.
Hahahaha! YES!!!!! Any time!

There is a natural break, you're right. Here's the story:

To the far right are the stairs coming up. Then there's a closet facing the entry into the kitchen. Just next to that -- you can see in -- is a bathroom.

You can see exactly, where I've circled in red, where the living room floor meets the kitchen floor. I don't love that it juts out. I wish they'd continued the dark wood in a straight line but it is what it is. Had they done a straight line, it would have been partially in the kitchen, which I imagine they were avoiding doing. I get that.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Hahahaha! YES!!!!! Any time!

There is a natural break, you're right. Here's the story:

To the far right are the stairs coming up. Then there's a closet facing the entry into the kitchen. Just next to that -- you can see in -- is a bathroom.

You can see exactly, where I've circled in red, where the living room floor meets the kitchen floor. I don't love that it juts out. I wish they'd continued the dark wood in a straight line but it is what it is. Had they done a straight line, it would have been partially in the kitchen, which I imagine they were avoiding doing. I get that.
Yep, that's what I was thinking it looked like. Like you said, you can't change that it juts out a bit, but honestly, the place looks so good that I don't think it's noticeable. I wouldn't have paid any attention to it if you hadn't pointed it out - but I mean, we ARE talking about your kitchen floor so I understand - LOL.

Seeing the whole thing, I definitely think you should go with light, bright tile in there. What a great space - everything really looks good. I like the hardwoods by the way, but your kitchen is separate enough in my opinion to put something else in there on the floor, and honestly, it shouldn't cost $5000!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Yep, that's what I was thinking it looked like. Like you said, you can't change that it juts out a bit, but honestly, the place looks so good that I don't think it's noticeable. I wouldn't have paid any attention to it if you hadn't pointed it out - but I mean, we ARE talking about your kitchen floor so I understand - LOL.

Seeing the whole thing, I definitely think you should go with light, bright tile in there. What a great space - everything really looks good. I like the hardwoods by the way, but your kitchen is separate enough in my opinion to put something else in there on the floor, and honestly, it shouldn't cost $5000!
We are? Wait until we go upstairs and talk about the carpeting.

Thank you for your sound advice. I'm excited for Thursday's floor guy visit. I'll let you know what he says. Too bad he's not Polish or Russian, though.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
We are? Wait until we go upstairs and talk about the carpeting.

Thank you for your sound advice. I'm excited for Thursday's floor guy visit. I'll let you know what he says. Too bad he's not Polish or Russian, though.
Yes, that is a shame but as long as he knows his flooring stuff, you're in good hands!

When you get ready to talk about upstairs carpeting, be sure to start a new thread on that topic - complete with pictures!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is a shame but as long as he knows his flooring stuff, you're in good hands!

When you get ready to talk about upstairs carpeting, be sure to start a new thread on that topic - complete with pictures!
Certainly!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Choose tile or grout to match or echo your hardwood color. For instance, you could choose white tile and then choose grout in a lighter tone of the hardwoods. That way you have a relationship between the two floor surfaces.

Or you could choose a tile to match or echo your hardwoods, and then choose a light gray grout.

I do like your kitchen, by the way. I think you have done an excellent job so far. Kudos!
I just googled "light tile dark grout" and saw pictures. I love this idea so much! Thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating