Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times

Advertisements

Paint the cabinets white, new counter (even a new Formica if that fits the budget), new backsplash and stainless appliances if you don't already have them.

You'll be good for ten years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Not the OP's question.
Thank you for another demonstration of your altruistic concern.
However... I suspect the Op can, and I know that I can, do without them in the future.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:05 PM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Thank you for another demonstration of your altruistic concern.
However... I suspect the Op can, and I know that I can, do without them in the future.
I'm going to side with him on this one. You really seem to be taking this off topic. But I'll answer this final question and then ask that you stay on topic. My wife and I have no intentions of selling because we believe getting cash flow is much more important. The SF Bay Area is extremely expnsive and if we decide we don't like our new locale, we would like to have easy accesibility to come back (there is no relation to that and 20 years).

The 20 years relates to our children and the future net worth of the property as we would like to eventually will the house to our children. Like our other investment property, we will have a property manager taking care of it for us (so little involvement from us on the process). We've done this before and are comfortable with the process. Hopefully, I've answered all your questions and we can stop with this nonsense. I'm here to talk about our kitchen. Thank you.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 08-04-2017 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 04:37 AM

OK, apparently I needed to resize the picture (looks like it worked). So one of the biggest problems is, some of the drawers are actually falling apart (the front of them). Its like the face of the drawer was simply glued to the rest of it. Can you actually go out and just replace the drawers? If so, where do I go to do that. And then of course, I would need to figure out how to match the drawers to the rest of the paneling.

P.S. Meant to also say earlier that I agree with many of the comments talking about keeping it cheap and cheerful. That's why I balked at the price on refacing and am attempting to keep the cost down (but clearly I can't have drawers falling apart).
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen touchup-20170803_091906-1.jpg  

Last edited by Independentthinking; 08-05-2017 at 05:49 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 07:06 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Sometimes you can get lucky and find someone selling old cabinetry pieces on Craigslist. Longshot but maybe you can find someone selling drawers. You might see if there's a carpenter who can rebuild your drawers.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Can you actually go out and just replace the drawers? If so, where do I go to do that.
Rebuild them with fresh hardware LINK and glued/nailed/bracketed corners.
Try some tung oil on the face of the cabs/drawers.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:21 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
Paint the cabinets, and if you're not handy yourself, try a service like thumbtack. A decent handyman can repair the drawers.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:50 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Unless you are ok with putting in enough money to actually update that kitchen, you are mostly talking about lipstick on a pig. I'd go ahead with getting a handyman to fix the drawers and then maybe try to restain the existing cabinets to clean them up a bit. But nothing short of a reno is going to change that from being a dated kitchen. The cabinet style is dated, and the counters and backsplash are dated. If you want to rent it out as an updated kitchen, you'll need to put in the money to actually update.

That's not an opinion on whether or not you should actually do that - it will depend on the market in your area and if an updated house rents out for enough more to justify it or not.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:44 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I know people (especially men) freak out about painting WOOD....but we just did it. We wanted to freshen up the kitchen but didn't have $40,000. Cabinets were in good shape internally, but worn finish. They were upgraded cabinets when we bought them but they were natural oak. Very dated. We painted them white ourselves and I'm really pleased. Figured, I'll either move in a few years or replace them later.

The painting of the cabinets necessitated a counter top change, where we switched from laminate to granite. It's made a huge difference. Between the new countertop (I have a lot) and the paint, I've probably spent $6,000 so far. I have a thread on here where you can see my progress. It's titled something like "What type of granite with white cabinets..."

We did the painting but if you didn't want to tackle it, our painter quoted us $1600 for the labor.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I know people (especially men) freak out about painting WOOD....but we just did it. We wanted to freshen up the kitchen but didn't have $40,000. Cabinets were in good shape internally, but worn finish. They were upgraded cabinets when we bought them but they were natural oak. Very dated. We painted them white ourselves and I'm really pleased. Figured, I'll either move in a few years or replace them later.

The painting of the cabinets necessitated a counter top change, where we switched from laminate to granite. It's made a huge difference. Between the new countertop (I have a lot) and the paint, I've probably spent $6,000 so far. I have a thread on here where you can see my progress. It's titled something like "What type of granite with white cabinets..."

We did the painting but if you didn't want to tackle it, our painter quoted us $1600 for the labor.
First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their very useful suggestions. But Christine, you take the cake! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just looked at your thread and your cabinets are almost identical to ours. That made it extremely easy to see what it would look like if we painted them white. I have a very good painter that just finished painting the outside and interior of our house and had asked him about possibly painting the cabinets before he finished up. Looks like I'll be going that route and then finding a handyman or carpenter to fix the broken drawers. Once again, thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating