Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:51 AM

18,500 posts, read 15,310,945 times

Advertisements

Im going to bring in a closet company to re-do my children’s closets. It is for 3 rooms. A 14 year old girl, an 11 year old boy, and an 8 year old girl. They are not walk in closets, but they are very wide (maybe 10 feet) with folding doors.

Keeping in mind that I dont want to have to do this again as they get older:

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should be asking for?

Anything that closet companies often suggest that might be a mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,706,206 times
I would make sure the clothes rods are height adjustable so they can grow with the kids. Ask the closet company to come up with a plan that can be easily changed as the kids needs change. Modular units that can be used as shelves or have baskets added.
Forget about those special inserts for drawers, no kid I know will fold their socks or underwear neatly enough to use them properly. Special accessories like a valet rack, jewelry drawers or accessory holders are pricey for what you get.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I would make sure the clothes rods are height adjustable so they can grow with the kids. Ask the closet company to come up with a plan that can be easily changed as the kids needs change. Modular units that can be used as shelves or have baskets added.
Forget about those special inserts for drawers, no kid I know will fold their socks or underwear neatly enough to use them properly. Special accessories like a valet rack, jewelry drawers or accessory holders are pricey for what you get.
Do the modular units look modular or do they look built-in? My wife was going to have a designer from The Container Store come in, but I cancelled the appointment because everything they had looked like it was on tracks on the wall. Ideally I would like something that is adjustable, yet, looks finished.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,405,915 times
Double rods that are height adjustable

Make sure the girls have some long hanging for dresses.

Shoe shelves. Include a space for tall boots for the girls.

A stack of drawers. Girls will eventually need some purse storage.

Making space for toy storage and laundry drawers were a waste for us.

We put hooks on the walls for ties and belts (ours do have walk in closets though)

Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Double rods that are height adjustable

Make sure the girls have some long hanging for dresses.

Shoe shelves. Include a space for tall boots for the girls.

A stack of drawers. Girls will eventually need some purse storage.

Making space for toy storage and laundry drawers were a waste for us.

We put hooks on the walls for ties and belts (ours do have walk in closets though)
Thank you.

So by laundry drawers, do you mean the laundry bin that pulls outward from the top? I was planning on putting one of those in each of the closets. Just curious why you found that to be a waste?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,706,206 times
Most closet systems hang from the wall in one way or another. You can get a completely built in system but they would be very expensive, especially if you are going to need to accommodate changes as your kids grow. The Container Store carries both ELFA and TCS closet systems. TCS appears to have that built in look you want. https://www.containerstore.com/tcsclosets/index.htm

Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,538,099 times
The previous owners of our home installed ELFA systems in the closets and even though they're on rails and are pricy plastic, they're great because they're adjustable and everything is nice and organized.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:42 AM

7,255 posts, read 7,114,355 times
I consider closets to be great DIY projects. I'm asking why you are not considering doing it yourself?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,987,040 times
Big deep drawers are better than lots of little drawers. They want to just shove all of their clothing of a certain type into one drawer, not sort it into a bunch of different drawers. In one bedroom we put in a unit with lots of little drawers, she used only a few of them and just stuffed them full (until the drawers broke).

Do not assume anything will stay the same. Specialty holding areas (like shoe holders) are not always good int he long term. Suddenly she decides she will only wear calf high boots. What do you do with all of those little shoe slots now? (Ferrets like them).

Do not bother putting in drawers that are up high. They will never be used. Up high storage should be open shelves only.

Don't get cheap press-board components. They will be broken before you know it. Even if you have to get less, get quality. They should be able to survive kids standing on them or climbing into them. No matter how impossible it seems, they will get on or in them.

In general open storage (shelves) seems ot be preferred to drawers or other closed storage (cabinets). They like to be able to see their options without fishing through a bunch of drawers.

Layers of lighting. LEDs are cheap. Multiple levels of shelving will block ceiling light. Either put in a wall light that can shin horizontally, or up lights at each layer. Frustrating when you pay all that money for a really cool storage unit and they have to use a flashlight to find anything.

Flexible space is best. Do not assume they will use it the way you expect them to. They might do it your way for a few years, but eventually they will find new and completely unanticipated uses for the spaces. To them it is part of being your own person. They may pull out your 'Socks" drawer and put it ont he floor to have added shelf space for Gi Joes.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,509,190 times
Wire shelves like Elfa are great. You can get the cheaper ones at other stores. I just like lots of shelving for the kid's closets with a space to hang stuff as well. Then you can reorganize it as you wish

I like baskets and containers instead of drawers. Much more flexible and the kids can see what is in there. For laundry, just leave a space for a large bin. Those soft rubber bins with handles work great. Then they can just carry them to the laundry.

We left space on the bottom for shoes. I figured the floor is the most logical place for shoes

It's a pretty easy DIY project once you get the hang of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating