Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:58 PM

784 posts, read 3,122,236 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I've had good advice on this forum before and I am back because I am stuck. I want to repaint the walls and trim in my main open-plan living area, but don’t know what color (s) to use.

I am not sure if every room living-room, kitchen, dining-room) should be the same. Or if color should divide the areas up. The walls are currently a rather vibrant shade of yellow and the trim is cardinal red (the colors they had when I bought the house).

The furniture is all wood – pine in the dining area and some kind of dark laminate in the living room. The sofas are an orangey brown with pillows that have gold-ish pattern – I inherited the sofas and side tables with house. There are also two wood-framed chairs in a pinky-beige color that I brought from Scotland when I immigrated. The rugs are primarily burgundy with other colors thrown in. Sounds pretty bad when I describe it. But actually it looks ok. I just need to get the yellow out.

The pic I am attaching shows my dining area where, by the door, I tried painting a couple of Behr “whites”: Cotton Sheets, which looks a bit pink and Twinkling Lights, which is almost pure white with a tiny but of yellow in it. I wanted something creamy, but these paints are not it. I don’t like beige or taupe colors on walls – I lived with them for years in a rented apartment. I want the whole area to be bright and cheerful.

I wanted to attach another pic, but city-data won't let me.

Any ideas on colors?

Thanks, Carole
Attached Thumbnails
Wall color advice please-diningroom-plus-my-chair-pillow.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,010 times
Because you said creamy, I'll suggest my favorite cream...Gentle Cream by Benjamin Moore. It's not too yellow, yet is rich looking. As I am working through painting this house, I want to change all the rooms to it and just use art and accessories for color.

I would paint the woodwork a nice crisp white

Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Benjamin Moore Cotton Balls - OC-122

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...s?color=OC-122

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2015...ks-every-time/

In the link above, the designer who recommends it as the most versatile white, has a photo of a cabinet in her living room painted in Cotton Balls. It's a clean warm soft white.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:34 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,638 times
Try "Nude" by Behr. I used it on all the trim in my house and it looks very rich.
Nude W-F-210 | Behr Paint Colours

Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Here's a great article on some popular whites with really good photos. Benjamin Moore Cotton Balls in shown in the second photo. It has the warmth you want, while still being white.

The Right Whites: Choosing a White Paint

Old 10-19-2017, 04:50 PM

What I didn't mention is that my dining room and livingroom both have tall north-facing windows over-looking grass and trees. The living room also has two east-facing windows. And the kitchen has a south- facing window, but no direct sunlight. So if I choose one color, it needs to work with all of these lights.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:01 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,010 times
Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee is nice too. According to this article it's an off-white with no yellow in it

The Best Off-White Paint | Apartment Therapy

Old 10-19-2017, 05:02 PM

Default East-facing

Livingroom
Attached Thumbnails
Wall color advice please-livingroom.jpg  

Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Default South-facing

Kitchen
Attached Thumbnails
Wall color advice please-corner-kitchen-window.jpg  

Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Because you said creamy, I'll suggest my favorite cream...Gentle Cream by Benjamin Moore. It's not too yellow, yet is rich looking. As I am working through painting this house, I want to change all the rooms to it and just use art and accessories for color.

I would paint the woodwork a nice crisp white
Found this: https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/wp-co...ream-walls.jpg

Looks great. But maybe too much for the whole area.

Last edited by CaroleF; 10-19-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating