Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 PM

389 posts, read 597,355 times

Advertisements

My house was flooded in Hurricane Harvey. The original 1994 pre-fab cabinets had to come out as a result. My contractor typically builds custom job built cabinets, but we are going to order semi-custom as labor costs are following the hurricane.

We are definitely going with full overlay cabinets, as my contractor highly advises against partial overlay (I agree with him, as my previous ones were partial overlay).

I live in a desirable part of the city, so it's not advisable to go the cheapest route.

I'm debating whether to go with Shaker vs a more traditional raised panel (something much more ornate than I had before).

I know that Shaker cabinets are very popular at the moment, and I really like them. I would likely order them in white or maybe gray.

I also like traditional raised panel cabinets as well, possibly in white or an off-white with glazing. (Please see the picture below for an example, as I'm not referring to just basic raised panel cabinets like I had before.) They would probably fit well with the architecture of the home, but I'm not sure if they will bode well for resale (I plan to sell in the next 3-5 years). So the styles might change.

I believe shaker should be cheaper since it's less detailed.

When I say raised panel, this is what I'm referring to. I believe everyone knows what shaker is so I'm not going to bother posting a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 11:20 PM

30,582 posts, read 16,268,237 times
I'd go with the shaker. It's simple, clean lines and, for resale, will make the most buyers happy, I think.

Not being a fan of cleaning, that raised panel style makes my toes curl.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:28 AM

13,062 posts, read 18,157,821 times
[quote=PAhippo;50460981]I'd go with the shaker. It's simple, clean lines and, for resale, will make the most buyers happy, I think.

Not being a fan of cleaning, that raised panel style makes my toes curl.[/QUOTE]

Most especially in the kitchen. I will also offer my opinion, unsolicited, on the white vs gray. I would suggest white. I am 100% with you in the love of the gray as a choice. We tussled with this very same choice almost a year ago when we selected cabinets for our bathroom. I LOVED the gray but since our next home with be dirt in nature, we decided to go with something that we felt was not as trendy as the gray. I still live in gray envy because I just love it, but unless you know that you will be living there a while, I think the white is your better choice.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:50 PM

64 posts, read 61,779 times
I would highly caution you against the glazing. If you’re going to go white go white. Glazing is currently very dated. We recently sold a home with white glazed cabinets and real estate feed back was harsh on the glazed cabinets. As far as the gray it is beautiful. I would make sure the area has a ton of natural light and is bright. Gray cabinets can suck the light 💡 it of anroom tenfold. If you have an island you may want to do white cabinets and a gray island. This way when gray becomes less desirable painting an island is an easy fix vs doing an entire kitchen. As far as the style of the cabinet full overlay wins hands down. Shaker and raised panel are always well received as long as the quality and finish are good. Nothing screams awful more than a low quality raised panel cabinet! For a compromise on the two you can always do a shaker with a small bead molding on inside which will soften the looks but still keep it clean and traditional.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:52 PM

64 posts, read 61,779 times
Sorry that should have read “ Gray cabinets can suck the light out of a room ten fold.” New reading glasses and everything (including my keyboard) is destorted todav

Old 12-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDesign View Post
I would highly caution you against the glazing. If you’re going to go white go white. Glazing is currently very dated. We recently sold a home with white glazed cabinets and real estate feed back was harsh on the glazed cabinets. As far as the gray it is beautiful. I would make sure the area has a ton of natural light and is bright. Gray cabinets can suck the light �� it of anroom tenfold. If you have an island you may want to do white cabinets and a gray island. This way when gray becomes less desirable painting an island is an easy fix vs doing an entire kitchen. As far as the style of the cabinet full overlay wins hands down. Shaker and raised panel are always well received as long as the quality and finish are good. Nothing screams awful more than a low quality raised panel cabinet! For a compromise on the two you can always do a shaker with a small bead molding on inside which will soften the looks but still keep it clean and traditional.
Interesting you mention white cabinets and a gray island. I was actually considering doing a white shaker for the uppers and lowers and gray for the island before posting this.

I am most likely going to end up just doing white everything though. I know that it's safest bet for resale and I am a big fan of white cabinets. My kitchen is not that large, so white cabinets would probably make it feel bigger. On the plus side, it does have a ton of natural light.

My friend did an off white (called antique) with a dark glazing. Her cabinets are a raised panel design. It turned out beautifully, but it's not the most current design. It was also more expensive than if she had just done white shaker. It was very similar to this, although I'm not crazy about the door style. I prefer something more traditional.
Attached Thumbnails
Shaker cabinets vs. Raised panel-screen-shot-2017-12-21-1.34.28  

Old 12-21-2017, 02:39 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,935,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'd go with the shaker. It's simple, clean lines and, for resale, will make the most buyers happy, I think.

Not being a fan of cleaning, that raised panel style makes my toes curl.
Me too, on all your points, PAhippo. I especially love your last sentence. That's how I feel. And I like shaker in white.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:21 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
My house was flooded in Hurricane Harvey. The original 1994 pre-fab cabinets had to come out as a result. My contractor typically builds custom job built cabinets, but we are going to order semi-custom as labor costs are following the hurricane.

We are definitely going with full overlay cabinets, as my contractor highly advises against partial overlay (I agree with him, as my previous ones were partial overlay).

I live in a desirable part of the city, so it's not advisable to go the cheapest route.

I'm debating whether to go with Shaker vs a more traditional raised panel (something much more ornate than I had before).

I know that Shaker cabinets are very popular at the moment, and I really like them. I would likely order them in white or maybe gray.

I also like traditional raised panel cabinets as well, possibly in white or an off-white with glazing. (Please see the picture below for an example, as I'm not referring to just basic raised panel cabinets like I had before.) They would probably fit well with the architecture of the home, but I'm not sure if they will bode well for resale (I plan to sell in the next 3-5 years). So the styles might change.

I believe shaker should be cheaper since it's less detailed.

When I say raised panel, this is what I'm referring to. I believe everyone knows what shaker is so I'm not going to bother posting a picture.

Between the two choices you'll probably end up with a 50/50 poll from across the country. You really need to ask the question to a RE agent who has worked your area for many years.

I disagree about the cabinet structure- face framed cabinets are stronger. Full overlays take a helluva beating- regardless of door design. I also prefer the raised panel- it adds visual interest to the cabinet design. If cleaning is such a weighing factor on a cabinet door design- hire a maid!

I would also follow the "advise" I gave in another thread of yours- don't over spend for the sake of resale. Again, it's a house that has had major flood damage- your pool of potential buyers is going to be quite small for a long period of time. Don't be surprised about appraisals- regardless of the money you throw at it.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Between the two choices you'll probably end up with a 50/50 poll from across the country. You really need to ask the question to a RE agent who has worked your area for many years.

I disagree about the cabinet structure- face framed cabinets are stronger. Full overlays take a helluva beating- regardless of door design. I also prefer the raised panel- it adds visual interest to the cabinet design. If cleaning is such a weighing factor on a cabinet door design- hire a maid!

I would also follow the "advise" I gave in another thread of yours- don't over spend for the sake of resale. Again, it's a house that has had major flood damage- your pool of potential buyers is going to be quite small for a long period of time. Don't be surprised about appraisals- regardless of the money you throw at it.
I'm not that worried about cleaning it. I have a maid and don't cook enough for them to get overly dirty.

My parents have had full overlay cabinets for years and they are fine. My contractor hasn't installed partial overlay in years and he knows what he is talking about.

And with all due respect, I don't really need your "advise." If you're not familiar with the Houston real estate market, your "advise" doesn't mean anything. While you might be right about the pool of buyers being small in the future, you might also be wrong. I don't appreciate the negativity, especially after reading case studies that homes that suffered flood damage typically recover their value after four years. I plan to live in the home for at least several years, regardless.

Wanting semi-custom white cabinets to replace the previous ones isn't exactly breaking the bank. I know what my area supports so throwing up some stock cabinets from Lowe's or Home Depot isn't going appeal to me or any future potential buyers.

Also, I had flood insurance for structural damage, so that money must be invested back into my property. I can't take that money and go on some extravagant vacation or buy a BMW.

Last edited by SK115; 12-21-2017 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 05:52 PM

492 posts, read 639,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDesign View Post
I would highly caution you against the glazing. If you’re going to go white go white. Glazing is currently very dated. We recently sold a home with white glazed cabinets and real estate feed back was harsh on the glazed cabinets. As far as the gray it is beautiful. I would make sure the area has a ton of natural light and is bright. Gray cabinets can suck the light 💡 it of anroom tenfold. If you have an island you may want to do white cabinets and a gray island. This way when gray becomes less desirable painting an island is an easy fix vs doing an entire kitchen. As far as the style of the cabinet full overlay wins hands down. Shaker and raised panel are always well received as long as the quality and finish are good. Nothing screams awful more than a low quality raised panel cabinet! For a compromise on the two you can always do a shaker with a small bead molding on inside which will soften the looks but still keep it clean and traditional.
Tell me it isn’t so! I finally got a house with the glazed raised cabinets and they are out of style? Bummer! I’m keeping them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating