Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times

Advertisements

Nope. None, ever... not even for this Wyoming native and avid hunter.

Now, tan the hide and use it? sure, I have buckskins for doing Rendezvous... but keep it out of the home, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 01:06 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
A "recycled/recyclable" mount-
Attached Thumbnails
Moose heads or bear rugs?-img_3179.jpg  

Old 02-25-2018, 01:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Some do hunt for trophies and don't eat the meat. That's not much allowed anymore, but used to be the thing - like African safari hunting, for instance.

I have no problem with people hunting and using the meat and leather if they killed the animal for good use. But, I have never known a hunter to mount a head or antlers on a wall in order to honor the animal that was killed. It was a bragging rights thing, and that's just creepy. That makes it more about the kill, than the use of the animal for good purpose.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:16 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Some do hunt for trophies and don't eat the meat. That's not much allowed anymore, but used to be the thing - like African safari hunting, for instance.

I have no problem with people hunting and using the meat and leather if the killed the animal for good use. But, I have never known a hunter to mount a head or antlers on a wall in order to honor the animal that was killed. It was a bragging rights thing, and that's just creepy. That makes it more about the kill, than the use of the animal for good purpose.
I agree with this. No one ever mounts the head of a doe. Though to most, the meat is much better from a doe.

Nor do we buy the heads of the steers that provide our beef and mount those. It does seem to be about glorifying the hunter and the kill.

My BIL “hunts” by baiting deer with a corn feeder near his cushy tree stand and then plunks away at them. And has the nerve to celebrate his hunt with a taxidermied head on his wall.
He also claims to eat the meat but in reality he has it all made into summer sausage (even the blackstrap) and tries to give it away to his squeamish suburban friends, like so much excess garden zucchini.
It ends up being tossed.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:45 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with a hunter being proud of a really nice animal he has gotten. At least there is some glory and appreciation for the animal. Is it better if our food dies anonymously in big factory farms, faceless, unappreciated, unglorified? Or are we just fooling ourselves that we are better than those who can look their food in the eye?

The deer who dies without fear at a corn feeder, probably had the most humane death possible. Nature is a cruel place and most death in the wild is not near quick as from a hunter's gun.

In the wild, they get run down and die while their hunter eats them, or after long painful injuries and infections.

Maybe those on the wall are actually the lucky ones. My two cents.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with a hunter being proud of a really nice animal he has gotten. At least there is some glory and appreciation for the animal. Is it better if our food dies anonymously in big factory farms, faceless, unappreciated, unglorified? Or are we just fooling ourselves that we are better than those who can look their food in the eye?

The deer who dies without fear at a corn feeder, probably had the most humane death possible. Nature is a cruel place and most death in the wild is not near quick as from a hunter's gun.

In the wild, they get run down and die while their hunter eats them, or after long painful injuries and infections.

Maybe those on the wall are actually the lucky ones. My two cents.
I would think someone who bred and raised a meat animal would have more to crow about than a hunter, to be perfectly honest. A lot more time and work goes into an animal you breed and raise. Yet no one hangs a steer or hog head on the wall.
I don’t buy meat from factory farms. For years we raised our own and now buy from local small farmers,.. pastured beef, pork, chicken and eggs.
Raised humanely.
But whatever. You and I are free to have differing opinions about it.

Last edited by mistyriver; 02-25-2018 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
I have zero problems with hunting. It prevents animals like deer from overpopulating and dying of diseases that spread due to overpopulation. In most places, their natural predators are long gone and hunting fills the gap. Plus where I live, people who hunt do eat the meat.

However, I hate taxidermy and honestly feel it is disrespectful to the animal. It's also creepy as hell to look at.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:04 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,789 times
Unless you're Gaston (the bad guy in Beauty and the Beast) I don't really see the need to use dead animals for decoration.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Get yourself some of these

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d4/ff/c8/d...ermy-frogs.jpg

I imagine one on each end table, next to the drinks coaster.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:59 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Decoration wise, it looks tacky. I also look at the animals staring down from the wall and feel bad they ended up there. In addition, it looks creepy. When I look at houses for sale online, there are the animal head ones and it’s like oh, one of ‘those’ houses. I’m more tolerant of shag carpeting and 70’s wallpaper than dead animal heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating