Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I swear by Zinsser Primer. I had to cover a wall that was a really deep burgundy verging on black! I took my time and applied two lights coats before applying my wall color which is a bamboo yellow. No problems with bleed through. It also worked great on the glorious Chicago Bear orange and blue walls, not to mention the pea green!
Where do you get Zinsser Primer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Sounds utterly odd to me!
I've painted and ocean blue room before - one coat of kilz primer ( make sure to open the windows and have some fans going - it stinks) and then a coat of good quality paint. Is Grassland a paint that is rated to have good coverage with one coat? If not you will be very tired of painting the room three times or even four!
I always paint a room w/at least two coats. The infamous red paint took 3 coats plus a coat of primer.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
You did not say whether you intended to repaint the room with red again, just not the shiny finish. In this case, you would need to tint your primer as well...like gray if you are painting red over it.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Where do you get Zinsser Primer?
I got mine at Menards but they also have it at Home Depot.

I have used and really liked both Behr and Ralph Lauren paint in an egg shell finish.

Regarding red paint. If I am correct, and please someone let me know if I am wrong, when painting red on the walls it is best to use a good coat of grey primer then two coats of your base color.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
You did not say whether you intended to repaint the room with red again, just not the shiny finish. In this case, you would need to tint your primer as well...like gray if you are painting red over it.
As per the original post, the new color will be Sherwin Williams grassland which is green

Old 03-24-2008, 09:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Default Use a grey oil based paint as the cover coat.......

Forget all the machinations.

Just slap on a thin coat of lite grey oil based paint first, then go over it with your finish coats. When in doubt use oil based paint for good coverage over difficult to recoat junk. Don't have to be a primer. Use drywall sanding screen to knock down any dirt or nibs before the finish coats after it all dries well.

Before anybody starts carping about some "Rule" forget it. I've done so many jobs and none it caused the house to fall down or the Earth to cease rotating. It is all interior so you can switch back and forth between oils and latex paints. Works like a charm without major effort and will not cost a fortune. Oil paint does not need to be anything special, whatever is cheap works good. I can bag suitable paints local for like $6 gallon as surplus.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Heather, you said you were using sherwin williams...a couple months ago we had to repaint two walls in the house to get it ready for sale....one wall was raspberry, the other burgundy. I kid you not, we did not use primer, we used sherwin williams, it was a brown, beige and it covered in ONE coat. I would definitely try the one coat and see what happens...save yourself some work. my husband has done a lot of painting and he was shocked. if it had not covered well, he would have done another coat, but it passed his test..

Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Forget all the machinations.

Just slap on a thin coat of lite grey oil based paint first, then go over it with your finish coats. When in doubt use oil based paint for good coverage over difficult to recoat junk. Don't have to be a primer. Use drywall sanding screen to knock down any dirt or nibs before the finish coats after it all dries well.

Before anybody starts carping about some "Rule" forget it. I've done so many jobs and none it caused the house to fall down or the Earth to cease rotating. It is all interior so you can switch back and forth between oils and latex paints. Works like a charm without major effort and will not cost a fortune. Oil paint does not need to be anything special, whatever is cheap works good. I can bag suitable paints local for like $6 gallon as surplus.
Yeah, that'd work too, I suppose. I'm trying to think of whether or not the oil-based paint is cheaper than the primer. It would depend on that.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I would definitely try the one coat and see what happens...save yourself some work. my husband has done a lot of painting and he was shocked. if it had not covered well, he would have done another coat, but it passed his test..
Apparently you haven't seen how my hubby paints. hehe. Sometimes it takes two coats and touch ups here and there.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Flat black goes well over other dark paints and creates a vintage Goth look.

just kidding - its 6:45 in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating