Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:26 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times

Advertisements

I am downsizing my residence - or should I say for my new residence. I'm tired of clutter - tired of stuff- just need to be able to breathe - and I think my current house is contributing to my stress.
One thing in the plans is a smaller bedside table (and bedroom furniture) I currently have a lamp, clock radio, coaster for my water glass and old iphone that I use as a backup alarm clock....

does anyone still use clock radios? I don't listen to the radio in my bedroom - usually keep it quiet. can't say I use the clock either - it's turned facing the bed--- of course the drawer is half full of things - manicure items, flashlight, hand cream - lip cream.... and the shelf below has my sleep sox, microwavable heating pad and my bible....

I'm thinking a small table - just enough for the lamp, coaster and Iphone - maybe handcream....

I am seriously thinking simple - sparse and basic.

suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 12:50 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
You might want to refer to this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/home-...ide-table.html

Old 03-28-2018, 01:00 PM

61,732 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^ yes. Please use search option feature.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Someone put out a free radio alarm clock in my senior building and I took it. I like having it, because I end up muting my phone a lot, and forget to turn off the mute, so I wouldn't get my wake up alarms on my phone for appointments, etc. Plus, in the middle of the night, it's easy to see what time it is, without having to put on my glasses and find my phone. So, even though I lived without one for quite a while, I'm glad to have one again.

By my bed, I only need somewhere for the radio alarm, glass of water, my phone, and somewhere to put my eye glasses. I don't sit in my bed to read or watch TV, etc., so don't need anything else.

I'd just say that you need to think about what you need to be comfortable. If you have a TV so you'd want a remote, or you read in bed so you'd want somewhere to put your book, or just whatever you need to be able to accommodate your normal habits, you should have a night stand that accommodates them. So, just think hard before you get too minimalistic. If you get something without a drawer, and you have a bunch of stuff, you'll wish you had the drawer after all, is my point.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:45 PM

61,732 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am downsizing my residence - or should I say for my new residence. I'm tired of clutter - tired of stuff- just need to be able to breathe - and I think my current house is contributing to my stress.
One thing in the plans is a smaller bedside table (and bedroom furniture) I currently have a lamp, clock radio, coaster for my water glass and old iphone that I use as a backup alarm clock....

does anyone still use clock radios? I don't listen to the radio in my bedroom - usually keep it quiet. can't say I use the clock either - it's turned facing the bed--- of course the drawer is half full of things - manicure items, flashlight, hand cream - lip cream.... and the shelf below has my sleep sox, microwavable heating pad and my bible....

I'm thinking a small table - just enough for the lamp, coaster and Iphone - maybe handcream....

I am seriously thinking simple - sparse and basic.

suggestions?
Not sure what is your question about ... A small table? You already decided that you want one. Or clock radio? You're not sure if you need one...

Old 04-02-2018, 12:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
of course the drawer is half full of things - manicure items, flashlight, hand cream - lip cream.... and the shelf below has my sleep sox, microwavable heating pad and my bible....

I think you could get rid of the clock radio but what about these other items? Are you planning on giving all of them up as part of your downsizing? If not, then I think you need something with drawers, even if it's a smaller footprint than you currently have.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:46 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
My comment on the clock radio was a brain hiccup - just curious if anyone besides me still uses them. I suspect more people rely on their cell alarms than a clock radio.

I know I need something with a small drawer to hold the little things - nail file, tissues, bible, etc. The stay on top items get brushed into the drawer when I'm dusting, or want the room to look neater. I guess I was wondering if anyone had opinions on using a small table vs a true nightstand - just didn't word it clearly. As I said, I'm trying to eliminate the clutter, and I know myself well enough to think - if there's a place to "fill" I can find something to go there. I have 8 boxes lined up in the guest room - yard sale, goodwill/salvation army and womens shelter, and they will be filled up.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I prefer a true nightstand. This is the one I have. I use the top drawer for the bits and pieces and I keep socks in the bottom drawer. Making it a more functional piece of furniture allows me to utilize the space better and I can get away with using a smaller bureau.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VWKCE4/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
Take everything out of your end table. Put on the top only that which you are thinking about using there. See if that fits for your lifestyle or if you miss some stuff. Then you have your answer.

I have to have some stuff in mine. Sometimes I need a cough drop or a tums in the night. Not getting up to find that. Also my foot creams, etc. because I often do a pedicure before going to sleep. My ear drops, because that's where I do that, and my eye drops (tears) as I do that before going to sleep also.

Maybe you don't do stuff in that spot and you don't need stuff there. But I get where you are coming from. Cluttery spaces stress me out too.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:45 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
We have no room for a bedside table. We downsized and our bedroom has a bed and a chest of drawers and a little metal floor shelf. There is no room for anything else. I have a clock radio on the chest of drawers. I have to get out of bed to turn it off, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating