Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:35 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Any suggestion for pattern?
Ditch the patterned tile, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:45 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I The backsplash over the stove is godawful. And the island does not appeal to me at all.

Don't you think plain backsplash with white cabinet and white countertop is to monotonous and boring?

Old 04-03-2018, 08:54 PM

461 posts, read 509,346 times
I agree with the above poster about the backsplash over the stove. I can't stand it. But if you like it then that is what matters. You could always get backsplash with some color in it, like that glass backsplash tile that is popular now. They have a variety of colors to pick from. What do you like? Do you like the big busy print of the backsplash's shown?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:22 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I agree with the above poster about the backsplash over the stove. I can't stand it. But if you like it then that is what matters. You could always get backsplash with some color in it, like that glass backsplash tile that is popular now. They have a variety of colors to pick from. What do you like? Do you like the big busy print of the backsplash's shown?

I am indifferent about the tile. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it don't.
I hope something bold and popped pattern from all the white to create the focal point. Something exotic like Moroccan or Spanish.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
I am indifferent about the tile. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it don't.
I hope something bold and popped pattern from all the white to create the focal point. Something exotic like Moroccan or Spanish.
You will never get everyone to like the same thing on here, especially a big bold choice like that tile. But the thing is, YOU are the one who matters, and you are obviously gravitating toward that look. I like it, too...most kitchens nowadays are soooo boring because no one wants to commit to a bold color or pattern.
Your type of pattern is certainly a look is "in" now, as evidenced by the bold Moroccan-style patterns in wallpaper and floor tile. Go with what you want, just know that your use of patterns needs to be limited if you're using that type of tile; otherwise, it'll be too busy, like in your first example. And since you're using it in a limited area, it won't be that expensive to replace if you get tired of it.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:31 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
I actually like the first kitchen, more than the one on page 2. The muted colors in the backsplash appeal to me. The pattern bothers me a bit in the stove area, because there' much more of it, but you could hang something there to break that up. I wouldn't choose the flooring pattern myself, but it's something I could live with.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Any suggestion for pattern?
Personally, I'd go with more interesting shapes rather than a bold color.

Something like this with a contrasting grout

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...e-eml3425.html

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...e-eml3416.html

Or this - although I'd prefer a lighter color, I really like the tile shapes

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...r-itx1694.html

Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times
I think both kitchens are attractive, for the most part, though both have some practical concerns that were largely identified by other users. If you are planning a kitchen remodel, I recommend that you speak with a kitchen designer so that you avoid some of these practical problems.

With respect to the backsplash, I like both of the tiles you posted. I agree, though, that they are on the busy side so unless you are 100% in love with them you might want to get something that is a little more quiet (though still interesting). If your budget allows, Walker Zanger has sunning far from boring tile.
http://walkerzanger.com/library/imag...BGLFEZDECO.jpg
http://www.walkerzanger.com/library/...M_Fretwork.jpg
http://www.walkerzanger.com/library/...diomoderne.png

Last edited by elnina; 04-05-2018 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: posting copyrighted pictures

Old 04-05-2018, 02:27 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Don't you think plain backsplash with white cabinet and white countertop is to monotonous and boring?
I didn't say that it should be "plain". I said that the backsplash should all be the same, and that the backsplash over the range is awful. Your choices are not plain or godawful. There are THOUSANDS of tile choices. I love white, but solid white countertops might be a bit boring. I would not choose that - but I know plenty of people love them. Mine are mostly white, but have gray veining. This is my backsplash.
Attached Thumbnails
White kitchen-home-design-2-.jpg   White kitchen-home-design.jpg  

Last edited by ChessieMom; 04-05-2018 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating