Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

I see a vent in the one in the kitchen, maybe the foyer as well. Are all of your hvac vents in these soffits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
In the three pictures, the first one shows a dropped ceiling in a hallway that holds the AC ductwork; the second one shows a ceiling support beam that has been covered over (maybe because someone removed a load bearing wall here and had to put in a beam) and the third one shows soffits that enclose AC ductwork and some that probably don't but were built to give a symmetrical appearance to the room. I wouldn't mess with any of those.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Quote:
In the three pictures, the first one shows a dropped ceiling in a hallway that holds the AC ductwork; the second one shows a ceiling support beam that has been covered over (maybe because someone removed a load bearing wall here and had to put in a beam) and the third one shows soffits that enclose AC ductwork and some that probably don't but were built to give a symmetrical appearance to the room. I wouldn't mess with any of those.
Well, that's a post of nothing but assumptions.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
OP, if it turns out you can't remove some of them, you might be able to get some cohesiveness to the overall look of the house, if you turn the openings into arches. Such as the beam where it looks like a wall was removed by the dining room table. If you have to leave that beam, if you turn it into an arch, it can look nice and that it was perhaps a deliberate decorating thing.

Some ideas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=larg...w=1315&bih=754

Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Well, that's a post of nothing but assumptions.
Well duh. Unless you've been in the house in question you have exactly as much information as I do.

But I think it's reasonable to ASSUME that there are AC ducts in the dropped ceiling that has the AC registers in it. And I think it's reasonable to ASSUME that the long rectangular thing hanging down from a ceiling and crossing a room right where a beam would generally be found, is probably in fact a beam. And I think it's reasonable to ASSUME that the soffits in the kitchen that have AC registers clearly visible also have AC ducts in them.

If we, according to your directives, are not permitted to ASSUME anything from the pictures the OP has so kindly provided, then why bother to even post the question? For that matter, why even bother to have the Internet at all? Let's just shut down the forum, cancel the Internet, scrap all the servers, and be done with it.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
The kitchen looks like it used to have florescent recessed lighting covered by plastic diffuser panels that were flush with the perimeter ceiling height. I used to own a townhouse built in 1976 that had such a set up. You may be able to remove the perimeter and get it all one height. I agree with others who say the foyer probably has HVAC in the ceiling and picture #2 is a structural beam.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 AM

81 posts, read 159,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
The kitchen looks like it used to have florescent recessed lighting covered by plastic diffuser panels that were flush with the perimeter ceiling height. I used to own a townhouse built in 1976 that had such a set up. You may be able to remove the perimeter and get it all one height. I agree with others who say the foyer probably has HVAC in the ceiling and picture #2 is a structural beam.
This is 100% the case. That was the situation in the kitchen and the two bathrooms. They were eventually "updated" to what you see now. We've since replaced what used to be eyeball lights with LED lights. Looks better but not great.

As FYI, I don't plan on doing any of this work myself, though I understand that it is my responsibility to ensure that any changes are up to code.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM

81 posts, read 159,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, if it turns out you can't remove some of them, you might be able to get some cohesiveness to the overall look of the house, if you turn the openings into arches. Such as the beam where it looks like a wall was removed by the dining room table. If you have to leave that beam, if you turn it into an arch, it can look nice and that it was perhaps a deliberate decorating thing.

Some ideas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=larg...w=1315&bih=754
Interesting idea, though I would be surprised if there was ever a wall in that spot. I am thinking that was the original design.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:22 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Interesting. I thought the OP meant this type of lighting soffit, below. It looks as if in his third picture, the soffit was removed and recessed lighting installed.

http://recessedlighting.com/wp-conte...-fixture-3.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating