Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 07:41 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times

Advertisements

If you are using contractors that are insured, I'd file a claim with their insurance if the damage warranted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 11:24 PM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
If you are using contractors that are insured, I'd file a claim with their insurance if the damage warranted it.
Better to just file with your own homeowners insurance, right? After all, that’s what it’s for - to shift the financial responsibility away from the one responsible. There is no reason for the contractor to use their own insurance, and pay deductibles, right?

Old 04-29-2018, 12:21 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Or, even easier....tell them what furniture/appliance you are concerned about and provide an extra or old towel, a car blanket, or newspaper to put down over it. Make it super easy for them to care.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 1,077 times
I've had a guy badly damage my wooden table with his tools. His boss apologized and paid for fixing it tho.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:36 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you hired clueless contractors. The people we have used recently have gone out of their way to protect our floors and possessions.
+1

Never had any problems. They bring their tools in a tool chest or tool belt and are very considerate about not scratching or damaging anything of mine.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:56 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
+1

Never had any problems. They bring their tools in a tool chest or tool belt and are very considerate about not scratching or damaging anything of mine.
I think it’s the area. I never experienced this up north. This has happened with several different one—electricians, drywall, flooring.

Appreciate the replies. I am going to mention it if I see them doing it. I think in that our area they are so busy they just don’t care. The craftsmanship has gone down over the years as well. The flooring people put holes in the walls and damaged baseboards. The contractor replacing the baseboards put holes in the wall. The sheetrock guy was very good, though. I guess he gets lots of business. Trying to get reponses from owners is futile.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:40 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I think it’s the area.
Maybe? I have lived in New Orleans for so many decades that honestly I can't remember what workmen do in other areas. Also, by now I have been hiring the same workmen (or their friends or family) for many, many years so that probably helps too. I prefer going through people that I know and trust, even if I have to wait sometimes.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:03 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Maybe? I have lived in New Orleans for so many decades that honestly I can't remember what workmen do in other areas. Also, by now I have been hiring the same workmen (or their friends or family) for many, many years so that probably helps too. I prefer going through people that I know and trust, even if I have to wait sometimes.
I’d like to go through people I know and trust if I could. I have an electrician that does good work and the sheetrock guy was good. I have gotten recommendations from people that have had good work done but the contractors that do good work for them won’t necessarily do good work for me. Maybe I’m too nice or maybe it’s easy to rip off an old lady or maybe it’s the area, I don’t know. I know I am heartsick over it. I just want my house to look nice.

I don’t mind paying a good price for good work. I don’t mind waiting, I am very patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating