Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:41 PM

496 posts, read 446,072 times

Advertisements

I agree, I just feel like I'm different than most people. I prefer quality over quantity. I don't care if it's a little dated as long as the quality is decent and its been taken care of. For example some people don't notice there's a cheapo bottom of the line stove and fridge as long as they're stainless steel. I'd rather have white or black and higher end as long as its in good shape, regardless if people think it's dated. Even if they're 10 or 20 years old. It doesn't matter to me. Plus I feel like older stuff tends to last longer than things nowadays, even if it isn't in vogue.

And I generally see things like kitchen cabinets as something you do once and keep the same, or maybe refinish at the most. But these days these type of shows seem to encourage a mentality that everything has to be torn out every 10-15 years because it's obsolete.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 04:05 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
sometimes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Admit it...most people continue to watch the shows because of the guilty pleasure of snooping into other people's houses, laughing at the decor or design choices, and ridiculing the absurd demands of shoppers....
They should simply cut the predictable comment "it's kind of small." from the dialogue entirely.
Yes and other words to eliminate are: unique and spacious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
These shows are designed to sell "product" – interior designers, landscaping, countertops, cabinets, appliances, flooring, entertainment rooms, trendy furniture, etc. The homeseekers are merely props.
I love this observation: homeseekers are props.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:17 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
sometimes?

Yes and other words to eliminate are: unique and spacious.
A couple more:

open floor plan

the completely redundant filler word "space" following every descriptor of a room; living room space, dining room space, office space, family room space, master bedroom space, closet space, laundry space.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:01 PM

356 posts, read 281,797 times
I always wonder what these people do in their backyards that they can't have any neighbor able to see them.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I always wonder what these people do in their backyards that they can't have any neighbor able to see them.
Get naked in the hot tub maybe?

OK, we have a pretty private back yard but if a neighbor wanted to see into our yard, especially using binoculars, they could do so. We have a hot tub out there and getting in and out of it involves a bit of nekkidness. (We actually just sit in the hot tub - we don't make out in it, just for the record.) My husband and I figured that hey, we are in our fifties - if someone is so desperate that they want to look at our 50 something year old bodies for the few seconds it takes for us to get in or out of the hot tub and in or out of robes or towels, they can have at it. I feel sorry for them! LOL

Old 11-19-2018, 06:29 AM

163 posts, read 144,370 times
I'll admit it, I watch for all for guilty pleasure. I mainly love seeing different designs of homes, but mostly I love watching Beach front. That's a dream, but reality I'd never do that.

I LOL listing to the different key words people use like open floor plan, natural light, laundry upstairs, needs all upstairs bedrooms close to the children always makes me laugh. I understand when they're babies, but they don't stay that way forever. IMO the key things to look for in children's bedrooms are... make sure the most adventurous kids bedroom is in the back of the house, so they can't see the front of the street. Because that's the one that will sneak out LOL! I think it's better when the kids are not near your bedroom at all, but that's just me.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
These shows are designed to sell "product" – interior designers, landscaping, countertops, cabinets, appliances, flooring, entertainment rooms, trendy furniture, etc. The homeseekers are merely props. And yes, they're designed to make you think that everyone but YOU, poor thing, has these lovely showroom homes throwing parties frequently. Open your wallet and rip out that nasty outdated stuff so that you, too, can join the happy ones.

i totally agree with you, and yes that was a good interpertation.

props, I love it.

omg, I love it..."poor thing', OMG I juts spit my coffee out all over my desk.

Like I have stated in numerous posts, I do live in a city apartment, But I have been saying for decades that if a burglar ever came to rob my apartment, they would most likely feel sorry for me and leave me a check on my kitchen table.....

I think the difference between This old house, which also wanted to sell products, but they taught you something. I have learned many thing from Bob Vila......

we all complain about the idiotic comments the "props" make, we know its light and entertaining, well sort of, but i do like seeing the different areas of where the homes are and what you get for your money.

like in Atlanta you can get a mega mansion for under 500K, where as my neighborhood of brookyn NY, you will get an old "crap" wood frame house for 1.4
as sickening as that sounds, it so true.

my neighbor across the street, who passed a few years ago, her children sold her house in less than a week for 1.4, trust me, they did NO STAGING what so ever. The kids (well, adults now) didnt even weed the front garden or have the little patch of grass mowed.

less than a week, sold.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Get naked in the hot tub maybe?

OK, we have a pretty private back yard but if a neighbor wanted to see into our yard, especially using binoculars, they could do so. We have a hot tub out there and getting in and out of it involves a bit of nekkidness. (We actually just sit in the hot tub - we don't make out in it, just for the record.) My husband and I figured that hey, we are in our fifties - if someone is so desperate that they want to look at our 50 something year old bodies for the few seconds it takes for us to get in or out of the hot tub and in or out of robes or towels, they can have at it. I feel sorry for them! LOL

omg !! between you and "catzpaw" there went my coffee today, (and i was really enjoying it also).

nothing is worse than trying to hide laughter when your sitting in a cubicle.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:42 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
My son-in-law's mother's house was one that was bought by a House Hunter couple. When they went back and staged the couple looking at this house that they bought, a negative comment was made about missing cabinet knobs. They took the knobs off after they bought it! Totally staged.

I do enjoy International House Hunters because it is fun to see how average people live in other countries.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:55 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I do enjoy International House Hunters because it is fun to see how average people live in other countries.
Not even close to average.
I watched one in Guatemala last night.
$1200/mo rent.
While I am not an expert on Guatemala, I am pretty sure that in a country with a per capita income of $8K (PPP), the average family is not paying $1200/mo/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating