Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times

Advertisements

I live in South Texas and I'm about to go out and 5 ceiling fans for my house.
For the master room, I want to buy the best ceiling that I can find.

What do you guys recommend besides the ones in Lowe's and Home Depot?
(I welcome any ideas for the living room and the kitchen, all ceilings are 8'-9' tall)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
I believe the installation is more important than the brand. Get the installation a little out of whack and the fan wobbles, etc. I had Hunter in my old house and have Hampton Bay now....I'm happy with both of them.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
All depends what you need. This is a pretty good web page and should help you to make the right selection: Ceiling Fan Ratings and Reviews – Finding the Best Ceiling Fans For You -

Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I know, you probably don't need that, but this is a pretty cool fan: Reiker Ceiling Fan- The Best Ceiling Fan on the Market- One of a kind! « HealthAndSurvival.com

Old 03-16-2010, 01:08 PM

109 posts, read 658,396 times
I agree with Okey Dokie, install them right and brand does not really matter. We bought 3 ceiling fans on clearance and are Hampton Bay, so far no problems and they look great too. And keep in mind that just because its not sold with a light does not mean you cant buy a light kit for that fan as long as its adaptable. Something I did not know until just before we bought our fans. :-)

Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
We're really happy with the Minka fans we got last summer. Only complaint is that they ship with cheap zinc screws for installation, but they're easy enough to swap out for steel screws as you put them in.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:41 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
I look at ceiling fans like most people look at any ceiling fixture/lamp- it has a rather short stay at my house. Although it's "life span" could be 15-25years.
In other-words, they get dated, or the room gets made over and the fixture doesn't cut it for the new decor.
So, get the inexpensive in the style you like- it will surely last 5-8 years before a makeover comes around.
Over the years I've seen them all- my H/O's have picked the worst (cheapest), to getting their own from HD, Lowes, or Dan's. And I've seen the best (Hunter).
I have a Hunter Original in my home office- it truly is the quietest fan I've ever had, and the heaviest- motor cage is cast iron! Remembering to oil it ever once in awhile is another thing all together.
The newer Hunters have sealed bearings that don't require oiling. They're also the only manufacturer that I know of that has a lifetime guarantee on sealed bearing motors.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
To answer your question: Casablanca ceiling fans is the best money can possibly buy. The junkiest cheap Chinese made products is what is generally available in Home Depot and Lowes which are mass produced popular name but not necessarily quality . Like anything you want that has to be special and good quality, go to a specialty fan store. You might pay a few extra dollars but you know you have quality. And the bonus is you have dozens of brands and styles to choose from rather then the 2 or 3 that the big box stores buy in quantity and stock.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I live in South Texas and I'm about to go out and 5 ceiling fans for my house.
For the master room, I want to buy the best ceiling that I can find.

What do you guys recommend besides the ones in Lowe's and Home Depot?
(I welcome any ideas for the living room and the kitchen, all ceilings are 8'-9' tall)
I don't think you can go wrong with the Hunter Classic Original *EDIT* DS41 - I have Casablanca Four Seasons III's in all my bedrooms, certainly a fine bit of gear and actually less maintenance than my Hunters *EDIT*...

I agree with a previous poster about the installation being important. Overkill the blocking. I hate the cheesy "spanner" brackets. Install some lumber instead and make sure you can do a chin-up from it. If you can't hang from it, don't trust it. I have found that very little effort needs to be expended towards balancing the fan if the support is sturdy and I think that most fan wobble is the result of sh*tty, outsourced, stamped-metal fan brackets. Get a real heavy duty electrical box marked "suitable for fan support" and attach it to some lumber with heavy screws.

Just my $0.02

Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Hunter! Hands down! Very durable and quiet. Installation is important. If it's not done right, even the best ceiling fan will make noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating