Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times

Advertisements

Two other inexpensive ideas that would make your kitchen look spectacular:

I would add trim to bring the cabinets to the ceiling like this:
(add lighting too)

How to add trim: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/288300813626216434/

I would buy a streamlined microwave and build a shelf:

Last edited by AnnaGWS; 01-12-2019 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 08:57 PM

389 posts, read 596,531 times
I would paint the cabinets and trim antique white or bone.

I might try to find a taupe that ties into the countertops for the walls. A gray would update the space but you have to find one that ties into the granite, and a taupe or greige would work better than an actual gray.

A travertine backsplash and flooring would coordinate with your countertops, but travertine is somewhat out of style.

Slate is another option for the backsplash that might tie in to your granite. Black backsplashes are starting to become big, and it looks like your granite has black in it.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Two other inexpensive ideas that would make your kitchen look spectacular:

I would add trim to bring the cabinets to the ceiling like this:
(add lighting too)

How to add trim: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/288300813626216434/

I would buy a streamlined microwave and build a shelf:
Really nice!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I would paint the cabinets and trim antique white or bone.

I might try to find a taupe that ties into the countertops for the walls. A gray would update the space but you have to find one that ties into the granite, and a taupe or greige would work better than an actual gray.

A travertine backsplash and flooring would coordinate with your countertops, but travertine is somewhat out of style.

Slate is another option for the backsplash that might tie in to your granite. Black backsplashes are starting to become big, and it looks like your granite has black in it.
I think people box themselves in by thinking that you must use the same colors to coordinate something like a granite with multi-colors.

If you look at a color wheel, you learn that you can use opposing colors in a space that complement each other. You can use blue with gold, or gray-blue with brown, etc. The prettiest color schemes use different colors that aren't in the same tone. When looking at what color complements brown, normally you consider it to be basically an orange or gold, and the complement color would be blue or even green or purple.

The trick is to then pull in the other colors in a smaller way, that are also in the granite, to make the most of it. For instance, use black hardware to bring out the black specks in the granite - and/or - put a runner carpet in the entryway that also has the blue-gray and brown and black and maybe beige that you see in the kitchen. And use a backsplash that ties the two main complementary colors together - like the blue and brown and coppery colors in the photo I linked to.

And now, you've also coordinated with the color in the entryway and living room, as far as wall paint goes, and the brown wood floors, etc., so the house has a color scheme that works from room to room, without being boring.

There's just no need to limit yourself to the brown/black/beige in the granite, is my point.

Here are some great images of blue and brown kitchens: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...ev8y72QyLztDM:

I think chalk paint on the cupboards with a dark wax over it would be really pretty.

This is also a really nice backsplash that looks like natural stone, that has browns and blues/grays in it. Looks really nice with the dark cupboards: https://backsplash.com/wp-content/up...lash-ideas.jpg

I think it would also look nice with gray or blue cupboards. Picture it with black hardware and the OP's granite. It would be soooo pretty!

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 01-13-2019 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The only thing that screams attention is the floor.

I wouldn't waste the money on painting the cabinets (remember your other occupants)- any color will just make dirt, smudges, and prints stand out that much more.

Upgrade the cabinet hardware, change the faucet to chrome/brushed nickel, and add under cabinet lights. That along with the new SS appliances and you're good for...
I agree.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
^^^^ Agree

A beveled subway tile (matching a white color in the granite)

https://www.homedecoraz.com/msi-anti...bway-tile-8796
LOVE that subway tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating