Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 PM

10 posts, read 9,520 times

Advertisements

Hi all, currently remodeling and thinking ahead for what furniture to buy and how to arrange in the living room. Have people over often and like to entertain so would prefer more seating but don't want it to be too crowed which is how it was before (there were 3 couches!). I realize I probably only should put one couch and one chair... Would prefer to be able to walk up to the window but that is probably also not realistic.

I am having trouble adding pictures.. trying to figure it out..

*this is my first post, any feedback appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
There is no way to suggest you anything without seeing the living room.
Post pictures or floor plan, please.
How many sitting places you want in that room? All permanent or some temporary? (folding chairs).

Click on "Rules and FAQ's" on the bottom of this post to read guide how to post pictures.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 9,520 times
I have attached the pictures and the floor plan measurements. Please ignore the mess! Lots of remodeling going on!

The 7.9 measurement is the window. The 5.11 measurement on the bottom of the picture is the opening from the hall and the 5.11 measurement across on the other wall is the fireplace. The are not directly opposite and if you notice all of the corner walls have different measurements. The 1.7 measurement from the fireplace is where the living room goes into the dining room. I hope this helps!

We do have folding chairs that we bring out. I'm thinking 1 couch in front of the window, 1 comfy chair by the fireplace corner, and some sort of cabinet in the 5.2/3.4 corner... No TV in the living room. I want it to look "nice".

Weird floor plan help with furniture-living-room.png

Weird floor plan help with furniture-20190211_155540-2-.jpg

Weird floor plan help with furniture-20190211_155548-2-.jpg

Weird floor plan help with furniture-20190211_155421-2-.jpg

Old 02-12-2019, 10:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
You could put a flat screen smart TV above the fireplace. And when you're not using it as a TV, I'm pretty sure you could just show a photo on it from your phone, so it looked like artwork. It could be a photo of a piece of art, even.

I'd put a couch or loveseat (depending on the space) in front of the fireplace, and create a seating area there with one or two chairs. You should still be able to reach the window just fine. Then, you could use the space in the area where the couch is now, for a different seating area or a game table or desk, etc.

The traffic flow from that door, around the corner to the kitchen is awkward to keep it all open, in my opinion. I'd break it into a couple of different seating areas that are still cozy and inviting. Here are some ideas on how to place furniture in awkward spaces:

Room Arrangements for Awkward Spaces | Midwest Living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating