Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 4,219 times

Advertisements

Titles says it all really.

I get frustrated because it's rarely attainable and, although nice to look at, I'm never going to be able to use most of them for anything useful.

Am I alone in this misery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 05:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,535,651 times
Those are not stock images. Those are just well appointed homes. Why get frustrated? You obviously have a different budget than those people.

The constructive thing to do is to borrow ideas from the photos and do something similar but in your budget range.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,206,374 times
I,like looking at Houzz. They do sell many similar items You see in the pictures. You also just have to look around. I wanted a particular candle sconce and could only find it in bronze so I bought it and painted it brushed nickel It came out beautiful and a lot less expensive than the one I wanted that was similar but only reasonable in aged bronze. I have bought framed pictures and then repainted the frame. It depends on the cost.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:32 AM

4,245 posts, read 6,927,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Those are not stock images. Those are just well appointed homes. Why get frustrated? You obviously have a different budget than those people.

The constructive thing to do is to borrow ideas from the photos and do something similar but in your budget range.
This pretty much nails it. I don't know which sites you are looking at, but all of the design related sites and magazines I follow are almost exclusively using actual peoples' homes (minus the homes you might see in an advertisement) or sometimes commercial spaces. Yes, they are beautiful and impeccably styled and decorated and photographed to look extra amazing. But they are real places.

Now, no, that doesn't always makes that kind of space or look attainable for everyone. But that is different than being a stock photo. The key is to try not to get frustrated by not having that kind of home. Focus on what you can do to your own home to make it more comfortable, more your style. Often, you can still use these homes as a jumping off point for an idea in your own home.

PS I have had people tell me my home looks too staged when I have posted pictures here before, but that is literally how we keep the house on an everyday basis. We are both fairly minimal and very tidy. We also do not have kids and have a small home which makes it pretty easy to keep clean and photo-ready. Everyone is different.

Last edited by Sunbather; 07-17-2019 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-20-2019, 05:36 PM

14,551 posts, read 12,209,100 times
To the OP's "defense"... I am often amused when I see photos of rooms where all the books match and the shelves, even in the kitchen, are all holding beautiful but useless items chosen for their color and shape, not because they are things the occupant uses or owns.

There is a difference between a tidy home and one where everything in it is staging.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,535,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
To the OP's "defense"... I am often amused when I see photos of rooms where all the books match and the shelves, even in the kitchen, are all holding beautiful but useless items chosen for their color and shape, not because they are things the occupant uses or owns.

There is a difference between a tidy home and one where everything in it is staging.
Yeah, real people buy a ton of useless decorative items.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:21 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,628,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, real people buy a ton of useless decorative items.
Every visit a store called At Home? I think that is where decorators find all their items. I've seen "real people" shopping there, too.

I hate cleaning end tables, statues, and most decorative objects. I have several framed photos on the wall from trips and a couple of paintings that artist friends did. That's enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating