Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:26 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,291,315 times

Advertisements

Kidding, sort of.

But I was just thinking the other day that I've made my little house so comfortable and cozy and I love it so much that I have a lot of trouble getting myself to leave for any reason. I tend towards being a hermit anyway, but I have completely enabled myself now with all the improvements and decorating. I definitely find myself working from home far more than I should and even going out to the store gets put off as much as possible.

What about you? Have you made your nest so comfortable that you find it hard to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 AM

4,241 posts, read 6,926,083 times
as a bit of a tongue in cheek conversation, I hear you. Since we moved into this new house we have had people over to our home bar on Fridays and Saturdays almost every weekend, which of course means we aren't going out as much on those nights. I'm sure that will taper off some, but I can't say I mind at all right now because we absolutely love the house and love hosting in it.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 3,111,680 times
Bizcuit, nothing wrong with that feeling! Mr. Zen and I feel much the same. Look at the advantages:

1. Less wear and tear on your car.
2. Increased security for your house.
3. You're not contributing to pollution and traffic congestion.
4 Less exposure to shopping; thereby circumventing the see-want-buy endless treadmill. ('Course, I realize there's always the slippery slope of internet shopping.)

Now, the next step is: stop acquiring home dec goods. You have enough.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,646,352 times
For a long time, our home was our hobby. Now that we’re retired, just about everything we enjoy doing is found in our home. Neither of us were ever big on traveling or socializing so home has always been important. It’s very comfortable for us. I don’t know that it could ever be viewed by either of us as too comfortable simply because we prefer to be here rather than elsewhere most times.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
We are older, and retired. I have deliberately made our home as comfortable as possible. DH and I go out less now, but I attribute that to our ages. Nevertheless, I get tired of always having to think about preparing the next meal. So, when I get fed up, we go out to eat.

We also keep certain commitments every week, so we do leave our home fairly often.

We are replacing some kitchen appliances and a couple of light fixtures now. I want to be through spending money making our house pleasant for us. Really—I want not to have to think about this until we need a new roof.

But, if I had to, I could spend a week at home with no trouble.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,670,042 times
OP: What are some of your home comfort items?

Can you post pics?

Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,230,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
For a long time, our home was our hobby. Now that we’re retired, just about everything we enjoy doing is found in our home. Neither of us were ever big on traveling or socializing so home has always been important. It’s very comfortable for us. I don’t know that it could ever be viewed by either of us as too comfortable simply because we prefer to be here rather than elsewhere most times.

I completely agree! I still find things to improve in our home or on our property and I love going out to my shop and just fiddling around. Right now we are in the process of digging a well. Hard work, but it will be worth it.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
Yes!

My goal in every day is to get home. Can't wait.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:23 AM

50,406 posts, read 64,141,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are older, and retired. I have deliberately made our home as comfortable as possible. DH and I go out less now, but I attribute that to our ages. Nevertheless, I get tired of always having to think about preparing the next meal. So, when I get fed up, we go out to eat.

We also keep certain commitments every week, so we do leave our home fairly often.

We are replacing some kitchen appliances and a couple of light fixtures now. I want to be through spending money making our house pleasant for us. Really—I want not to have to think about this until we need a new roof.

But, if I had to, I could spend a week at home with no trouble.
I think we lead parallel lives sometime. These are my feelings, exactly.

The only thing I can think of that a “too comfortable house” would have that I still won’t, is poofy recliners.

Once in a blue moon, I’ll buy something for the house, but not very often. I bought some new towels this year.lol.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,999,070 times
I can relate, OP. I love my house and now that our basement is finished it's like, why leave? We have a better selection than most bars and we know how to mix drinks better, too. We have our screen for movies with surround sound. We've got the pool table. Why bother with a bar? We have people over a lot.

Of course in reality we leave a lot, until the kitchen can cook food for me we'll probably continue to go out frequently with friends. But, I like having people over a lot, too. I like that don't necessarily need to leave to be entertained. It's a nice backup if he weather is bad or we just feel lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating