Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:31 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Are there any sofa/furniture experts out there? I'm getting pretty desperate for a couch. I have my heart set on a power reclining sofa. I checked out the chain stores and was unimpressed. Today, I went to two local furniture stores. One had a Lane sofa, the other had a Best sofa.

The Best sofa that the one dealer had was not power, but said it could be added. It was very comfortable and felt very solid. The Lane sofa at the other dealer was power, and while it also felt solid and comfortable, I thought the Best sofa felt a little more solid and plush/dense. The one dealer told me they sold both brands, but they always recommended Lane over Best. The Best seems to have a better warranty (lifetime frame, two year motor vs. one year on everything for the Lane).

So, does anyone have any thoughts as to which way I should go? Both were vastly superior to the stuff I saw at the chains, and I need to make a decision quick. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
So, does anyone have any thoughts as to which way I should go?
Sure:
Find the Lazy Boy store nearest to you.
Make the best deal you can on what they have and which you like.

hth

Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I'm with MrRational on this one.

Lazy-boy first, then I would go Lane next out of the two options you gave.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
go see lazy boy. don't get overwhelmed with the info they give you, a good salesmen can make even crap sound good, but have the salesmen at LB, Lane and Best show you the construction and compare. look for solid framing, corner blocking, plastic vs metal parts. ask about the density of the foam. the better the foam the longer it feels new. you will be able to see which one you think is better made. compare the price and then buy to the best of your budget and pick the one you like the look and feel of best.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
We have the Lazy Boy leather reclining sofa not power. It was expensive but is now 7 years old used a lot and it still looks and works great.I would recommend leather for durability.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
what grade are the leather options do they have for LZB sofas? Split, Top, Full?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
what grade are the leather options do they have for LZB sofas? Split, Top, Full?
Call your local dealer.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Call your local dealer.
They said "Genuine Real Leather." lol. In other terms, "we didn't know."

It's amazing how many furniture dealers don't know what grade leather theire pieces are made from. I guess it's the consumers fault for not asking.

I asked a Coach salesperson what grade leather one of their belts was made from and the answer was "Italian." Seriously!? That's not what I expected from an American Upscale Leather Goods Company!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
They said "Genuine Real Leather." lol. In other terms, "we didn't know."

It's amazing how many furniture dealers don't know what grade leather theire pieces are made from. I guess it's the consumers fault for not asking.

I asked a Coach salesperson what grade leather one of their belts was made from and the answer was "Italian." Seriously!? That's not what I expected from an American Upscale Leather Goods Company!
Perhaps you didnt ask the right question?
The info is always available, either in the order book on the info page, or in the computer when the order is entered.
The sales help can also call an 800 # for corporate support.
I sold furniture for years.
Also, small leather goods from any decent maker are always made from the 2nd split, first split being reserved for furniture.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Perhaps you didnt ask the right question?
The info is always available, either in the order book on the info page, or in the computer when the order is entered.
The sales help can also call an 800 # for corporate support.
I sold furniture for years.
Also, small leather goods from any decent maker are always made from the 2nd split, first split being reserved for furniture.
I'm not a tanner or a leather expert by any means, but when I asked about grade I thought I was being pretty specific about the information I am looking for regarding the grade of the leather upholstery. Not the country of origin, not the authenticity.

Since I never sold furniture I didn't know there is a 800#, orderbook, or computer to reference. It's the salespersons job to know that as you have pointed out; not mine.

I've been looking for "full grain" leather furniture, which by the way has been nearly impossible to find. Not second split, not even first split, not even top grain. Full grain is leather that has not been split at all, and has the split and top grain intact. This is even before I get into the age of the hide.

Only one furniture maker has been able to tell me right off what grade their upholstery was. Sadly is was bonded leather, so no purchase was made. The company name escapes me, but the showroom was in SoHo, NYC.

I appreciate your help. I'll point them in the right direction to get my questions answered next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating