Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times

Advertisements

In the attached picture, I have a question about the wood trim halfway up the wall. Is this still an up to date accessory, or has things moved on?

This is the only room with it. Plus, I'm going to paint the room only one color. Will it still look good without the contrast?
Attached Thumbnails
Question for Interior designers and others-room.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 02:37 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
it's not a timeline related design feature... it's a design feature brought forward from a particular style of housing. the look is timeless.

whether or not it will look out of place in your room depends on your style of decoration. The feature doesn't need to be as contrasting as the way it is painted now. To me, that is the more "dated" aspect to that feature... high contrast with the wall color, lighter color on the bottom.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
In the attached picture, I have a question about the wood trim halfway up the wall. Is this still an up to date accessory, or has things moved on?

This is the only room with it. Plus, I'm going to paint the room only one color. Will it still look good without the contrast?

Bedroom? Not so much.
DiningRm, Kitchen, Breakfast; much more so. But, there is usually 'shadow boxes' in the lower area to resemble a raised panel look. They're usually made from basecap. The other style idea is beadboard below the chair rail for a craftsmen look.
And as a general rule- painted white. Not that it has too be, but usually.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I agree that the chair rail really is timeless, and you can simply paint it one color on either side as you suggest. It really is more if you see it as part of your style.

One thing to consider, that is typically where the drywall has a seam, you may be in for a lot more spackling and taping than you are bargaining for if you remove it.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
One thing to consider, that is typically where the drywall has a seam, you may be in for a lot more spackling and taping than you are bargaining for if you remove it.
That is so far from the truth-nuts yeah.
Chair rail is usually in the 3' AFF range-
D/wall comes in 4' wide sheets- and even if the ceiling height was 9' feet there still wouldn't be a seam there.
And all seams have to be taped and bedded for fire safety reasons.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Hmm, thank you all for your replies. I'll just have to see for myself once the house closes.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That is so far from the truth-nuts yeah.
Chair rail is usually in the 3' AFF range-
D/wall comes in 4' wide sheets- and even if the ceiling height was 9' feet there still wouldn't be a seam there.
And all seams have to be taped and bedded for fire safety reasons.

You are SO right. I didn't measure the height and just estimated that it was 4 feet. My bad.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
It's timeless. Congrats on the new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating