Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,711 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m trying to decide between the two sectional couches and I’m not sure which one to choose. Does anyone have either sectional and do you recommend it?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
When I was looking for couches, it seemed West Elm (in general) had not-so-great reviews for couches. I would do a little more research if I were you.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:40 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Given those two options, the Crate & Barrel is likely going to be better quality. That Lounge II series is benchmade in one of their partnering North Carolina facilities. I can not speak to the foam fill or fabric quality, but the frame and suspension appears to be better on this than the West Elm piece. Not that the West Elm piece is better, but if C&B is in your budget that would be my choice between the two.

For a little bit more money, but a similar feel to what you can find at C&B I cannot recommend Room & Board enough. I have owned multiple pieces from them over the years, and actually just ordered a new daybed from them last week.

I will link you one or two, but they have a lot of sectional options at varying prices. You may be able to find one that is still within your budget and I can assure you the quality is worth the price difference long term if you can make it work.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog...ger-sectionals

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog...ade-sectionals

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog...ens-sectionals

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog...ese-sectionals

Otherwise, the C&B piece made in NC is not bad, especially if you can get it on sale.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:48 PM

44 posts, read 143,242 times
I had the Lounge II, Best. Sofa. Ever! The ONLY reason I don’t have it anymore is because I have a Great Dane, who loved the sofa even more than me. The other thing about Crate and Barrel is they sell replacement cushion covers (did I mention I have a Great Dane).

Old 06-06-2020, 09:58 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
I would shy away from West Elm. Their quality on most items isn’t any better than IKEA.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I'd try a real furniture store that sells real furniture. Haverty's, etc. for general furniture or the place in your town called something like "Smith Furniture Co." Those national chains with big glossy catalogs are more about marketeering than about high quality furniture. It's like buying a suit; sure, you can get something that looks like a suit from Men's Wearhouse or JC Penney, but if you want a good suit, you need to go to the place that's called something like "Dreyfuss and Son".

Old 06-09-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I'd try a real furniture store that sells real furniture. Haverty's, etc. for general furniture or the place in your town called something like "Smith Furniture Co." Those national chains with big glossy catalogs are more about marketeering than about high quality furniture. It's like buying a suit; sure, you can get something that looks like a suit from Men's Wearhouse or JC Penney, but if you want a good suit, you need to go to the place that's called something like "Dreyfuss and Son".
Not exactly the same. A lot of furniture stores sell bad quality furniture as well. Many of the furniture stores that used to all be made in the USA have shifted over seas for all or at least some of their products. You have to be just as picky if not moreso with them. For example, a lot of Haverty's is not that great either, imo. And, unless they have changed back recently, a lot of their products are now sourced over seas.

That particular sofa is made at a factory in North Carolina that follows good construction standards.

The Room & Board sofas I posted are very high quality. I have been to their factory in NC and they also have a large factory they utilize in Virginia. They may be a 'national' store with nice catalogs, but their furniture is top notch and heirloom/reupholster worthy.

Last edited by Sunbather; 06-09-2020 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-09-2020, 07:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Those R&B prices are horrendous

Old 06-09-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Those R&B prices are horrendous
How so? They are pretty in line with what I would expect to pay for the quality and service you get. There are other brands that I like who are noticeably more expensive. But, I don't know many brands who offer the same service and the same quality offering significant discounts over their pricing. There is a reason they are my go-to. I think the issue is that most furniture that is out there at the typically frequented stores these days is pretty 'cheap' in quality so more quality stores tend to look 'expensive'.

For a better example of costs, I think the one R&B sofa that I linked (The Reese) retails for about $3800 with no industry discounts. I completely reupholstered a very similar but vintage sofa about 7 years ago. Similar size, similar style so it is a good example.

-The sofa cost me $400, with a great frame, in really good condition.
-It required 24 yards of fabric, and I got a fabric that was $45/yard, which is 'middle of the road' as far as fabric prices for a quality couch. Those West Elm couches have fabric that is probably in the $20-30/yard range when sold to the consumer and Room & Board fabrics are about $60-80 on average if sold to the consumer. 24x45 = $1080
-The reupholstery labor cost was $1500, which is a fair price for the size piece and what I wanted (this wasn't my first rodeo reupholstering furniture for myself or others).

So let's add that up. $400 for the sofa, $1080 for the fabric and $1500 for the foam and reupholstery labor. That is already $3000. That is already about 80% of the cost of the equivalent Reese sofa. Yes, I saved some money, but I knew what I was doing. I spent the time to design the sofa the way I wanted it to be reupholstered, I spent time scouring for the right fabric, sourcing the fabric myself, finding the right sofa frame, coordinating pickup and delivery with the reupholstery people. Overhead time that would typically be built into the price of a sofa from a quality company. Yes, if you go with $10/yard fabric, made in china frames, cheap fill etc. you can get a sectional for $1500 at Rooms to Go. But even a lot of their sectionals are $2-3k and you aren't getting an heirloom quality product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating