Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 12:44 PM

8,250 posts, read 7,609,480 times

Advertisements

So we just had an antique double sink removed from our house. One side is deep like a laundry tub and the other side is laid out like a kitchen sink.

It's sitting out in my barn, as my first idea was to scrap it (it weighs a ton). But don't people re-glaze sinks and put them into that lovely old Victorian they are refurbishing? Who would I contact about selling it? I'd hate to scrap it if someone could really reuse/refurbish/repurpose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 01:29 PM

13,071 posts, read 18,298,630 times
Try googling a salvage place. Ct has a famous one, United House Wrecking, they have some amazing finds there. I am sure there are several around you too.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 PM

5,866 posts, read 5,340,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
So we just had an antique double sink removed from our house. One side is deep like a laundry tub and the other side is laid out like a kitchen sink.

It's sitting out in my barn, as my first idea was to scrap it (it weighs a ton). But don't people re-glaze sinks and put them into that lovely old Victorian they are refurbishing? Who would I contact about selling it? I'd hate to scrap it if someone could really reuse/refurbish/repurpose it.
My guess is that it is cast iron. Those sinks are very much sought after. There may be salvage places that will buy it off of you but they are in the market of making a profit and basically lowball you in terms of price. Look online for sinks like yours and see how much they are going for. Take into consideration condition. Then I would put it up on Craigslist. You should list it a bit higher than you are willing to accept for it so you have negotiating room-but not so high that it scares people away. If you set the price on your lowest, most people will negotiate and you may end up selling it for less than you wanted or people won't want it if you don't negotiate with them.

We had an antique cast iron bathroom sink. We had it on Craigslist for $150. One guy offered $40-talk about an insult. Then he offered $50. Hubby agreed to $65. I don't know if I would have agreed to that price. It was still WELL below our asking price. (If they offer less than half of what you list it for, I think that is an insult.)

Good luck.

Cat

Old 06-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Try googling a salvage place. Ct has a famous one, United House Wrecking, they have some amazing finds there. I am sure there are several around you too.
I've been there! Pretty interesting stuff but pricey. There's a similar place in Scranton, PA that's run by the Moonies or some such. I might give them a ring if I can't find a local buyer.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We had an antique cast iron bathroom sink. We had it on Craigslist for $150. One guy offered $40-talk about an insult. Then he offered $50. Hubby agreed to $65. I don't know if I would have agreed to that price. It was still WELL below our asking price. (If they offer less than half of what you list it for, I think that is an insult.)
Thanks. It will def have to be reglazed and since it's a double sink it may only fit a certain niche buyer. Still it's better than scrapping it, if it can be used.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:02 AM

Update: I put the sink up for sale on FB Marketplace at $200 originally, then eventually dropped it to $100. A lady offered $75 and we settled on $85. Glad it got a good home and did not simply end up as scrap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating