Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 08:09 AM

13,071 posts, read 18,298,630 times

Advertisements

I am not meaning to be disrespectful of anyones' home as it was your parents choices. But in retrospect I will admit that my mom had dark cabs with avocado appliances and a green trells carpet. I guess back then it was fashion forward. If I can put on my cap, I guess it didn't look bad.

So how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:22 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,048,556 times
I even question some of my own choices when first starting out, my own interior design tastes ... the twead plaid furniture and braided rugs in earth tones, meaning browns, yellows, oranges ... to go well with my copper-colored kitchen appliances (ie brown). And then I moved into the 80s with dark pine clunky furniture.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 17,959,411 times
I was a kid in the 70s. Most homes available had wood paneling. This made the inside look dark even with window drapes open. Some homes of that era had stone tiles or linoleum with stone tile pattern. One big mistake with one home was a green colored glass about 4 to 6 inches wide and was the length of the door. It was along the side of the front door next to the door knob. A thief could easily break this plate glass, reach inside, and open the door. I can forgive fashion trend issues but not when they impact home safety.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I even question some of my own choices when first starting out, my own interior design tastes ... the twead plaid furniture and braided rugs in earth tones, meaning browns, yellows, oranges ... to go well with my copper-colored kitchen appliances (ie brown). And then I moved into the 80s with dark pine clunky furniture.
I remember well the above. Copper appliances to go with the copper bottom pots and pans.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I was a kid in the 70s. Most homes available had wood paneling. This made the inside look dark even with window drapes open. Some homes of that era had stone tiles or linoleum with stone tile pattern. One big mistake with one home was a green colored glass about 4 to 6 inches wide and was the length of the door. It was along the side of the front door next to the door knob. A thief could easily break this plate glass, reach inside, and open the door. I can forgive fashion trend issues but not when they impact home safety.
Right ... the wood paneling. And the sheet linoleum in faux red brick. And yes, I remember friends' houses with the colored glass front door sidelights. That trend was in a different time when houses rarely had deadbolts and door locks were often left unlocked.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:11 PM

26,940 posts, read 27,156,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
my mom had dark cabs with avocado appliances and a green trells carpet. I guess back then it was fashion forward.
Yes, we had turquoise formica in the kitchen, and back then, it looked really hip! Along with shag carpeting in the bedrooms...

Old 07-18-2020, 02:27 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,102,221 times
Our house was built in 1972.
We had gold wallpaper with velvet designs.
We had the gold kitchen appliances, and golden shag carpeting.
The design was definitely LOUD. lol.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I remember well the above. Copper appliances to go with the copper bottom pots and pans.
I still use Revere Ware pots and pans ... smooth top stoves do not like them, so when we recently got new appliances I actually bought a stove with the old fashioned coils (hard to find!) Swopped out the new fangled coils now with sensitemp (they don't allow rolling boils and steak searing) for coils from an older stove. Indeed I have stepped back into the past and happy happy joy joy. New appliances look great (not) with the laminate countertops ... but at least the counters aren't the white with gold flecks formica.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:03 PM

I also remember that on the kitchen wall, we had a giant spoon and fork made out of wood, I think it was about 24 inches tall made of pine and it too was walnut colored and a coffee grinder. Dear God, what was she thinking. I also recall a neighbor was a fan of Early American Furnishings and I vividly recall a round mirror with gold trim and it had an eagle on top of it.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:15 PM

50,550 posts, read 64,559,992 times
I think my mother was rather “with it” as far as decor. In the 1950s we had wood floors and a red brick fireplace in the living room. She painted the bricks white and had an off white area rug that left about 2’ of floor around the perimeter. I think the room would still be tolerable today.

I, on the other hand, made some very sad design choices in the 70s, including the dreaded avocado appliances, red shag carpeting, plaid homemade slip covered sofa, and multiple wallpapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating