Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 04:29 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

I must be a total outlier because I think I want our new vanities to have drop-in sinks. The old fashioned kind where the rim is slightly above the surface of the counter. Round sinks. But none of the showrooms offer them. All I see are rectangular undermounts or sinks that look like clear bowls completely above the counter.

What’s the problem with drop-in sinks? Just not trendy? Or something else. I love the extra dimension of the slightly raised rim. Stuff is less likely to roll into the sink. It’s not a kitchen so there are no food scraps to wipe in toward the disposal. I can see sinks whose color matches the cabinet with the counter providing a contrast.

What are your thoughts? And suggestion of where to acquire them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 06:26 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
I'm sure you can order them.

No, they are not popular. They take up a bit of counter space and are not sleek and modern.

Imo they look outdated and cheap. But if you like them you can still find them.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Correct- not currently “trendy” but still readily available. The reason you don’t see them in the big box retailers is the trendy issue- they stock what sells!

There’s certainly nothing wrong with them- plain, simple, utilitarian, and economical. Generally used with less expensive laminate counters- adding to the “economical factor”.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:07 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
Weak google-fu? Lowe’s has them.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:29 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I must be a total outlier because I think I want our new vanities to have drop-in sinks. The old fashioned kind where the rim is slightly above the surface of the counter. Round sinks. But none of the showrooms offer them. All I see are rectangular undermounts or sinks that look like clear bowls completely above the counter.

What’s the problem with drop-in sinks? Just not trendy? Or something else. I love the extra dimension of the slightly raised rim. Stuff is less likely to roll into the sink. It’s not a kitchen so there are no food scraps to wipe in toward the disposal. I can see sinks whose color matches the cabinet with the counter providing a contrast.

What are your thoughts? And suggestion of where to acquire them?
Home Depot and Lowe's have tons of those. Have you looked online? I just did.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Drop-in--Ba...ent=4294656396

Old 10-31-2021, 08:21 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
If you are using a big box store ask for special orders and have fun. Plenty of those sinks available.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:38 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
My sister and I were just discussing bathrooms today. The new higher countertops and the various sinks. The conversation finally got around to we don't spend much time in the bathrooms, so why is it we make them fancy instead of strictly utilitarian. We were laughing at ourselves.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:58 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
While aesthetically outdated, they are still sold, and you can find them on the Internet and real stores;

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bootz-In...5-00/100389011

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bat...vZbz9jZ1z0usm3

What about this? A drop in sink, but a little more modern.

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...-mrdr1794.html

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...k-voi1117.html

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...?piid=23601224

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=round+dro...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Old 11-01-2021, 08:06 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
After having drop-in sinks forever, I really, really prefer undermount sinks. They are so much easier to clean. You can just wipe any stuff on the counter directly into the sink. The undermounts in our bathroom are round, by the way, and they weren't hard to find.

But I'll agree with you on the vessel sinks. I don't like the way they look, they are hard to clean around the outside, and as someone who is relatively short, they tend to be too tall for me. And if you have kids, or ever plan on selling your house to someone who may have kids, they are often too tall for them to even reach.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:48 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Thanks for all the links, ideas, and comments. The one potentially bad thing about under mount sinks is that there might be a tiny lip of counter over the sink, and perhaps mold could develop? So still needs extra cleaning. But I will admit, when updating an older home I am one of those who prefers to barely touch on modern and trendy since we know that is all fairly temporary. And as one of the upthread posters reminded us, it’s important to be practical more than treating it as a hangout spot. Oops. Maybe that’s old fashioned too? YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating