Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 05:11 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
We just bought a house and the master bedroom is huge. We have a good size walk in closet as well.
The exact dimensions as are 22*24. Right now we own a king size bed and a dresser. That's all. What are some cool ideas to add to the bedroom we have soo much space it will look empty.
Thanks
I grew up in an old Craftsman, and then a 1950s Cape Cod style home. Bedrooms were purely functional. The master in our last house was 13 x 16 or thereabouts... overkill as far as I'm concerned. Give me room for a king bed and a couple of nightstands, and a closet with some drawers. Anything else is just wasted space to me.

I can see the appeal of an adjoining room for reading and such... but not just a huge room.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:46 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
My master is way smaller than yours, but I made it my office (it gets the best light).

Our bedroom is the smallest bedroom. We don't need much in there

Old 05-01-2022, 06:43 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Could you use another room as the master bedroom and convert this room into an exercise room or home theater room?

Old 05-01-2022, 08:15 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Do a search on Houzz - plenty of ideas. There is a nice one with two sitting chairs positioned in front of a large picture window with a table in between.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/large-m...lbl-bl~l_45857

Old 05-02-2022, 06:37 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It’s what i was thinking. Horror vacui, or the need to fill up all the empty spaces, is a common design problem. We need open spaces, and a few blank walls to rest the eyes.

I don’t know how old OP is, but at our age, after some joint replacements, etc, we appreciate nice open areas to navigate through.

If I had my way, I’d have no dressers in the bedroom, but all my clothing storage and linens for that bedroom and bathroom in a huge closet. In the bedroom, I’d have two nightstands and a comfortable nook to curl up with a good book...ideally next to a window. I like the idea of blanket storage at the foot of the bed.
This made me laugh! I have a design background and the need to "rest the eyes" is something that is very important to me. I know it doesn't matter to everyone but you and I are in agreement on this and also the ability to safely navigate through the house.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:41 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
I think this giant master bedroom trend along with small living rooms is for people who have kids and want time and space away from them. For older people or a two person household, it doesn't make much sense.

The OP doesn't mention the overall square footage of his/her house and whether or not, he/she has any actual need for more function in existing rooms. Perhaps the simplest question to ask would be "Do I have anything else I'd like to do in this house that I can't find room elsewhere for?"

I wish home builders who build spec houses would consider mixing many different style options on adjoining lots instead of building from one current stock plan. Here in New England, it's especially bad since multiple level houses (including the ugly raised ranch) are cheaper to build and new houses (unless they are bespoke) usually end up being the standard "colonial".

Old 05-02-2022, 08:07 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,670,979 times
make a grow room...you'll be rich in no time..

Old 05-02-2022, 10:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do nothing.
Wait 6 months.
Yes, I agree. Ours is about 18'x30', 540 sf. and in 28 years it's pretty much filled up. We have a big cedar chest, a comfortable chair and ottoman, two large dressers, bedside tables with drawers, and a big shelving unit with some books and storage for extra blankets, pillows and sheets.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:22 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
TV's and work areas do not belong in your bedroom unless you have no other choice. No bookcases either. What should you be doing in your bedroom (sleeping, dressing, sex, makeup, maybe a sitting area (especially if you have a view). You could renovate it and make your closet bigger and the master smaller I don't know if maybe you put a piece of exercise equipment in there (a bike or a stair master?). If the rest of the house is huge then it doesn't make sense to make much of a multipurpose room out of a master.
TV in my master worked out great when I was sick and thought I had Covid. Brought in a rocker and used my ironing board as a tv tray where I stayed for about 10 days. I rarely have the tv on in the bedroom but sometimes when I am ironing I will put it on. I too have a huge master. My king takes up a lot of space then I have a dresser and a corner dresser that holds the tv. One wall is a sliding glass door out to a lanai. The opposite wall has the door to the closet and a door to the again huge bathroom. A treadmill takes up some space but I would rather have a comfy chair in that corner and another end table. I like my bedroom. It is large and uncluttered.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:56 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, I agree. Ours is about 18'x30', 540 sf. and in 28 years it's pretty much filled up. We have a big cedar chest, a comfortable chair and ottoman, two large dressers, bedside tables with drawers, and a big shelving unit with some books and storage for extra blankets, pillows and sheets.
We have a big bedroom, but it has a king bed and two huge dressers. Truthfully, they are both full of clothes we never wear, so I wish they were gone.....and they might as well be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.