Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:16 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The only real difference is that pre-finished hardwood floors usually have beveled edges, whereas sand and stain in place hardwood floors do not. If the stain colors are the same or reasonably close and the floors are on different levels, I doubt that anyone will notice the difference as long as the wood is the same species. I wouldn't have oak on one floor and maple on another as that would be noticeable. However, if that is what you like, it's your choice.

Yes, they do, and yes, they do not butt up together as good as natural stain and poly type of floors, and crumbs and lint does get stuck in the groove

also, prefinished is NOT, let me repeat, NOT water friendly, or pet friendly for that matter.
(I have a chihuahua) so, I'm not one of those Ewww, poopie, peepie in the house gross type of person, it happens. I don't get all crazy over it, it happens. (besides, I love my dog more than I love my floor) just thought id throw that out there.

The pre-finished floor when wet, will raise and crack, I know this because I have a portable washer in the kitchen where the pre-finished floor is (long boring story as to why it is there)
the washer had several accidents thru the years, and now I have to have a scatter rug where the sink is cause if your barefoot, you will, and I have gotten a splinter.

The floor has also buckled and is a mess to my eye, not to anyone walking in my kitchen.
The dog area if he misses the wee wee pad, I have to wipe asap, but sometimes I'm not home, and some of it is also raised. The floor near the radiator is also ruined because of the steam and water leakage.

Oh, if I would have of only knew back 20 years ago, I would not have chosen this floor

I cant be any more careful than i already am.

I agree with the others, wait until the dog floats on a cloud before you do any sort of floor changes, that's what I would do, FWIW..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 03:44 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
For hardwood floors, you could use water-based stain that is low VOC and would not need to be out of the house for days. You can be in the house while it is being applied, and merely need to wait a few hours for it to dry.

Note that vinyl tile/vinyl plank is great for many reasons but it is still a modular product--dog pee and other liquids can still get down into the joints and under the floor where odors can fester. There is 'loose lay' product though, that can easily be pulled up to allow the subfloor to dry out. But if your dog is doing this a lot, it would be a lot of disruption to keep pulling pieces up.

Personally, I've never considered carpet on stairs to be 'safe' much less safer. The pile lays down and can become slippery. I've seen both humans and dogs wipe out on stairs because of this.

Old 06-09-2022, 04:58 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
If your dog is incontinent, I'd refrain from using hardwood flooring. Urine on hardwood, any hardwood, is NO BUENO. LVP is a good alternative and it's upstairs, so it's not breaking the flow.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:17 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Yes, they do, and yes, they do not butt up together as good as natural stain and poly type of floors, and crumbs and lint does get stuck in the groove

also, prefinished is NOT, let me repeat, NOT water friendly, or pet friendly for that matter.
(I have a chihuahua) so, I'm not one of those Ewww, poopie, peepie in the house gross type of person, it happens. I don't get all crazy over it, it happens. (besides, I love my dog more than I love my floor) just thought id throw that out there.

The pre-finished floor when wet, will raise and crack, I know this because I have a portable washer in the kitchen where the pre-finished floor is (long boring story as to why it is there)
the washer had several accidents thru the years, and now I have to have a scatter rug where the sink is cause if your barefoot, you will, and I have gotten a splinter.

The floor has also buckled and is a mess to my eye, not to anyone walking in my kitchen.
The dog area if he misses the wee wee pad, I have to wipe asap, but sometimes I'm not home, and some of it is also raised. The floor near the radiator is also ruined because of the steam and water leakage.

Oh, if I would have of only knew back 20 years ago, I would not have chosen this floor

I cant be any more careful than i already am.

I agree with the others, wait until the dog floats on a cloud before you do any sort of floor changes, that's what I would do, FWIW..
I didn't have the same experience with our pre-finished floors at all. We had them installed in our LR, DR, and hallway. At one point we had 3 dogs (one of which was never house-trained), and 9 cats who would hork up hairballs on the floors at times. We also had a 55 gal. aquarium in the DR that could splash on the floor during cleanings. The floor was installed in 1998 when we bought the house and still looked great in 2007 when I sold it.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
For hardwood floors, you could use water-based stain that is low VOC and would not need to be out of the house for days. You can be in the house while it is being applied, and merely need to wait a few hours for it to dry.

Note that vinyl tile/vinyl plank is great for many reasons but it is still a modular product--dog pee and other liquids can still get down into the joints and under the floor where odors can fester. There is 'loose lay' product though, that can easily be pulled up to allow the subfloor to dry out. But if your dog is doing this a lot, it would be a lot of disruption to keep pulling pieces up.

Personally, I've never considered carpet on stairs to be 'safe' much less safer. The pile lays down and can become slippery. I've seen both humans and dogs wipe out on stairs because of this.
I nearly slipped and fell down my mother's steep planked stairs. My feet have far more traction on carpeted stairs even if the pile gets flattened.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:40 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I didn't have the same experience with our pre-finished floors at all. We had them installed in our LR, DR, and hallway. At one point we had 3 dogs (one of which was never house-trained), and 9 cats who would hork up hairballs on the floors at times. We also had a 55 gal. aquarium in the DR that could splash on the floor during cleanings. The floor was installed in 1998 when we bought the house and still looked great in 2007 when I sold it.

my floors are "Bruce" I don't know if that is a good brand or not.

My water damage was mostly from the washer hose falling out of the sink, and the amount of water that comes out before you catch it....need I say more.
My fllor was installed in about 2000, somewhere like that.

Other than what I notice it is fine, but I still would never get pre finished again..

Old 06-12-2022, 09:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Replacing the carpet with some other type of material just because an elder dog has destroyed it seems counter-productive.
Clearly, a 15yo dog will not be around much longer-

If you prefer carpet in those areas- keep carpet in those areas. “Your” life does not revolve around a dog’s! Enjoy the time you have left with your pet, then replace the carpet with new carpet.

Preparing for the new carpet is a totally different subject matter.
I 100% agree with this, regardless of what you replace the carpet with. The vanilla planks might do better but I had to replace wood floors before due to a tenant’s pet peeing on it. We could not get the smell out.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:45 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I own a two story house. The downstairs is all hardwood (red oak and stained) and the stairs and upstairs are all carpet (except bathrooms). My dog has started to really let loose on my bedroom and hall carpet so it's time to pull it up and replace. I'll probably keep carpet on the stairs for safety, and likely the hall, but what about the bedroom. One thing I do not want to do is put in hardwood that has to be stained because that means I have to be out of the house for a few days. It would also be very expensive. Wood laminate, IMO, just wouldn't go with the rest of the house. I do like things to flow well. No more carpet either.

Does anyone have any suggestions and perhaps pictures?
What do you mean by "let loose"? Maybe the dog should be restricted to other parts of the house?

I'd never use wood with pets. Pee will ruin carpet and hardwood both. If you insist on allowing your dog to free roam, then put in LVP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating