Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 12:56 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,334,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Or you can simply add the plug to the wired portion provided the cord is long enough. Adding a plug is as simple as buying the plug, opening it, stripping the wire, twisting each wire, making each into a loose "c", fitting the wire over the screw and screwing it down so the "c" is under the screw. Tighten the screws and replace the cover.

If you need extra length on the wire a lightening store can do it for you. You could do that too, but, I won't go into that.
Yes, this is the sort of thing I want done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Let's move from the 1970's to 2022, shall we?

Go to Amazon. Search for "Battery Operated Wall Sconce." (Some are even rechargable!)
I like earlier centuries if you please. My home is antique oriented. I am not interested in modern junk made in China. Each to his/her own taste of course.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I'm sorry, what does this mean? Are you trying to install receptacles at Jboxes in the wall where fixtures are currently mounted?

Personally I think that doing electrical work on a rented house, when you're not a licensed electrician, and without the landlord's prior written approval, sounds like a great way to be liable for expenses ranging from what it costs to restore the building to its as-rented condition, to being found liable for the entire cost of the house if the place burns down.
I already addressed exactly this issue if you had read the thread. I am not interested in hardwiring sconces in rental property.

Old 07-29-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
OK, maybe the OP wants to take fixtures that are supposed to be wall mounted on Jboxes and install cords with plugs? In that case it's going to depend on the design of the base of the fixture. You're going to have to make some kind of a hole for the cord to exit the housing, and you're going to have to put some kind of a grommet there so the sharp edges of the hole don't cut the cord, and you're going to have to arrange some kind of strain relief. Depending on whether the wall-mounted fixture is designed to require a ground lead or not will drive whether you need a three wire cord or can get by with a two wire cord.

Oh, and a fixture intended to screw down to a Jbox isn't going to just hang on the wall; you're going to have to figure out how to attach it.

Frankly I don't think You Tuba is gonna cut it.

Frankly for a house that you rent, and without experience in wiring and modifying electrical equipment, I'd go battery operated, or pick different fixtures that come with a plug-in cord from the factory.
Cords could just hang down from the fixtures. The fixtures would not lie perfectly flat against the wall, but I am okay with that. I would NEVER alter an antique fixture with holes. That would be virtually sacrilegious to me. Lovers of antiques PRESERVE them as opposed to altering them.

There are tons of battery operated sconces available from many places. Below is just one site that offers a variety of them. Now, for anyone who is pleased with the look of these pieces, this is great. Personally, I prefer antiques. I favour much older styles with much higher quality components. I am much more Downton Abbey in my taste than I am these sorts of fixtures found on this site and many other sites. We all have different tastes.

Personally, I prefer not to be reminded that this is the time period in which I live. I do not keep electronics out in plain view in my home for example. I will not put a telly or any other type of appliance or electronic in my living and dining areas for example. I keep a small table top telly in the bedroom. I do not like the look of it, but it is out of my sight during the day and for most of the night. I have a microwave oven, but I am chagrined that it is visible in my kitchen. I have a laptop and mobile in my study. They are useful and practical, but I do not like the look of them in the room. I do not have a way to hide my microwave, etc., but if I did have a way, I would do so.

The upshot is not everyone loves modern and the most up to date technology.

https://www.nunulighting.com/collect...tery-wall-lamp

Last edited by PhinneyWalker; 07-29-2022 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 02:00 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
This is true. I even found some that run on batteries. However, I am using antique sconces. I do not like modern decor. There are ways to help disguise the cord, but even if it were visible, I would prefer that to modern sconces (most of which I am sure are made in China).
I like Schoolhouse Electric for their lights if you want something that feels a bit more traditional. Their lights are made in the US (like most electronics, not all subcomponents are made in the US, but the design and assembly is in Oregon). They have a whole series of plug in wall sconces that go nicely in either a modern home or a more traditional style.

https://www.schoolhouse.com/collections/plug-in-sconces

Old 07-29-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I like Schoolhouse Electric for their lights if you want something that feels a bit more traditional. Their lights are made in the US (like most electronics, not all subcomponents are made in the US, but the design and assembly is in Oregon). They have a whole series of plug in wall sconces that go nicely in either a modern home or a more traditional style.

https://www.schoolhouse.com/collections/plug-in-sconces
Cheers! I will look into it.

Old 07-29-2022, 02:16 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Cheers! I will look into it.
No problem! Good luck.

Old 07-29-2022, 02:32 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Yes, this is the sort of thing I want done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2szZRSnXdM

This explains it well.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:46 PM

^^^ Thank you.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:53 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
^^^ Thank you.
It really is very simple to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating