Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 08:14 AM

197 posts, read 154,125 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am not very good at interior design, so I need some advice. I have a chocolate brown 6 1/2 foot couch against a red brick wall in my living room. Right now I have blue pillows with beach Decour on it which totally does not match and I’m looking for Any ideas. A friend of mine said light beige light gray and maybe a little bit of green decorative pillows would look nice. Does anyone know what a chocolate brown couch against a red brick wall throw pillows should look like? I also need an idea for a color of lampshade that is also going to be next to the couch up against a brick wall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!

Old 02-05-2023, 09:07 AM

743 posts, read 876,806 times
Here's a good link: https://www.quora.com/What-are-compl...lors-for-brown

I have red brick floors with white adobe walls and wood beamed ceilings. I wanted to keep the brightness of my adobe home, so I went with an off white/creamy colored couch and have red pillows. The red matches the brick. I also have a brown cushion on my "banco" (built in adobe bench). On that I have one red pillow, a tan pillow with black lines (native american), and another red brick color pillow with tan lines (native american).

I would either get a color wheel, or go to the paint store and grab a bunch of colors you like and bring them home. Put them on the couch to see what works for you. Some colors are cold, some are warm. When you found the colors you like, take them to the store to pick out some pillows. I don't know where you live, but there's a store called At Home that seems to have every pillow in the world. That would be a good start. Once you get the ball rolling, you will find all kinds of accents for your home.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:37 AM

Those are some really great ideas! I’m about to go shopping now I live in north east Florida I don’t think we have that store here, but someone told me HomeGoods is really good for pillows and TJ Maxx as well I’ve heard, Thank you so much again

Old 02-05-2023, 09:52 AM

708 posts, read 577,973 times
Check out an Ikea store. They have everything and some pretty neat ideas too. Not sure where you are in NE Florida, but it looks like they are everywhere.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:42 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Houzz!

https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/r...wn-sofa/nqrwns

Check the accessories with the combo!

Old 02-05-2023, 03:59 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
You might also check out a light colored throw. Do you have any art work on the brick? That might be an idea too.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:50 PM

No, we have two sconces up there , but we wanted to leave the brick with no decor on it, it looks fine that way.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:54 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
No, we have two sconces up there , but we wanted to leave the brick with no decor on it, it looks fine that way.
Great those sconces will break up the wall and add interest to it. Go with the pillows or throw.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:37 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
I think brown and brick are not a complementary color combo. Seems like they are too close in color, too dark, but I'm no interior designer and that's just my own preference. Not sure if pillows are the solution.
That said, I'd second the recommendation for HomeGoods for pillows!

Are you willing to reupholster your sofa in a lighter shade? or get a slip-on cover in a lighter shade? or move it away from the wall? Maybe moving it away from the wall will make enough of a difference that you can work with it as is.

Edit: check this out:
https://www.google.com/search?q=what...h=746&biw=1536

I don't seem many brown sofas against the brick wall. I think the shade of brown might make a big difference.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I think brown and brick are not a complementary color combo. Seems like they are too close in color, too dark, but I'm no interior designer and that's just my own preference. Not sure if pillows are the solution.
That said, I'd second the recommendation for HomeGoods for pillows!

Are you willing to reupholster your sofa in a lighter shade? or get a slip-on cover in a lighter shade? or move it away from the wall? Maybe moving it away from the wall will make enough of a difference that you can work with it as is.

Edit: check this out:
https://www.google.com/search?q=what...h=746&biw=1536

I don't seem many brown sofas against the brick wall. I think the shade of brown might make a big difference.
Hi there! I thought the same thing, but we just bought the couch a year ago and it was pretty pricey so I’d like to keep it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating