Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 06:47 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I don't get it either. Reminds me of a time a friend invited me over to a house where he was house-sitting and told me to bring my laundry over because the washer and dryer were amazing, saying the homeowners had paid something like $2,000 for these machines to wash clothes. I actually took advantage of the offer and the experience was no more amazing than washing clothes in a $100 machine. Exact same result.

Comedian Brian Regan has a funny bit about buying a refrigerator, and how the salespeople try to push various 'features' with higher price points, but really they're all just a big box that keeps food cold.
When we moved into our current home we discovered the city water tasted horrible. Even the dog refused to drink it unless she was extremely thirsty. We made it a point to buy a refrigerator with a built in water dispenser and filter. First time we put her water bowl down with water from the refrigerator she began lapping it up as if she came out of a desert. It has other features we thought were useless like an alert tone if the door is left open too long. Became handy when wife was prescribed Ambian. She did things she didn’t remember the next day and one time it was leaving the refrigerator door open. The previous home refrigerator had no special features at all. We bought this one out of necessity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 06:58 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
I’m not a fan of completely open floor plans. I want some kind of dividing between rooms. This doesn’t mean each room is completely closed off and only open through a doorway access. I’m a function over form type. Design for function first then add form afterwards. Some things I wish we had that would be included in more remodeling shows include soft close (cabinets and drawers), energy efficiency (doors, windows, ventilation, insulation), and ease of DIY maintenance (try changing light bulbs in cathedral ceilings or changing air filters in an attic AC unit for example). When remodeling a home’s interior it should be made neutral in style and color to make it easier to blend in furniture and appliances or to sell to future buyers. The more bold the colors and designs, the less buyers who will want your home and the harder it will be to find furniture and appliances to match your room or home. Once a buyer has moved in then they can paint the walls whatever strange color they want but they should paint it back to a neutral color when they’re ready to sell.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:45 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just wondering about what bugs you on TV decorating shows, or just around your house.

1. How many home remodeling shows start in a house with an oven that hasn’t worked for 8 years, or they’ve been using a stove with only one working burner for 5 years? I’m watching one right now. Wouldn’t you think that a sensible person would have just replaced the oven or stove? On one show I watched, the couple were afraid of setting off the alarm in the house they bought, so they just never touched it. Remodeler came in and ripped it off the wall. Problem solved.

2.Why do The Property Brothers wear clothes that are one size too small?
As others have said, it is entertainment.......but before one crucifies, consider alternatives to the situation.

I may have mentioned before that my over the stove microwave broke the other year. Now, it serves as a great big clock and exhaust fan. It was planned to replace it, to have the new one installed by the company and the old one hauled off.....but they could never complete the order, so it was canceled after 6 or more months. So it does what I said, there isn't a great big gap over the stove.....and the replacement microwave is on the island.

Back to our entertainment.....remember, we only see in the direction that the camera points.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:54 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As others have said, it is entertainment.......but before one crucifies, consider alternatives to the situation.

I may have mentioned before that my over the stove microwave broke the other year. Now, it serves as a great big clock and exhaust fan. It was planned to replace it, to have the new one installed by the company and the old one hauled off.....but they could never complete the order, so it was canceled after 6 or more months. So it does what I said, there isn't a great big gap over the stove.....and the replacement microwave is on the island.

Back to our entertainment.....remember, we only see in the direction that the camera points.
That would never work for me. I hate all unnecessary stuff on my island and to have a space taken up by a broken appliance that could otherwise be replaced like for like would drive me crazy. I detest clutter and generally speaking consider myself a minimalist but not utilitarian. But, it works for you and that is all that matters.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:33 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
That would never work for me. I hate all unnecessary stuff on my island and to have a space taken up by a broken appliance that could otherwise be replaced like for like would drive me crazy. I detest clutter and generally speaking consider myself a minimalist but not utilitarian. But, it works for you and that is all that matters.
You misunderstand.

The broken microwave is not on the island. It was an under cabinet model, over the stove, and that is where it rests, controls for the over stove vent and a clock.

Its replacement, that is in use constantly, is on the island. I, too, use my island a lot and as things go, am in a current project to clear it off, again, so it is available for daily use. As to putting a microwave on the kitchen counters, well, two things. First, that would take up too much room for I reserve my counters for jars of dry goods, cookbooks, and work spaces like next to the stove and sink. Secondly, I had moved away from the counter appliance life, long story short.

Old 11-30-2023, 05:41 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
No you misunderstood me. I understood that you still have the broken micro on the wall and a replacement on the island. The replacement cluttering the island or a counter up when there is a broken one on the wall would make me crazy. I have very few things on my island or counters. A coffee maker and a toaster oven are it for appliances. IF I have to ripen fruit there is a bowl if not ...no bowl. The last two things are a small apothecary jar of dog cookies and a spoon rest. Period, unless I am using something. Then it is washed and put away. All my dry goods are in the pantry or kitchen cabinets. I am fortunate in that I have 24 cabinets, a pantry, a 6 foot bi-level island/breakfast bar in addition to probably what amounts to 10 feet of counter space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating