Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 11:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times

Advertisements

We have signed contract on new home — it is a production builder not a custom which really isn’t our choice but based on the location of the subdivision
Only two builders are developing

My question is about best strategy to get best uniform floor

There are only two 17 x 17 porcelain tile options for standard floor tile

This home is in gulf-side central FL—humidity is an issue
I don’t mind a hard surface like tile—had that in our TX house—
And we have LVP in house in FL we live in now—and I like it too (depending on what options there are for color and finish). This builder uses Shaw flooring for all options according to the website—Shaw makes a decent product but we haven’t seen any in person—the model homes have upgraded tile choices and no carpet installed yet in extra bedrooms…

The salesman told us frankly that it would be less expensive to get a better qualify flooring if we just went with standard Lvl 1 carpet throughout the house and upgraded the three baths/laundry and kitchen with a more expensive LVP—lux vinyl plank—then after closing to get same LVP for rest of house from flooring source and have carpet taken out and LVP installed…
But you run risk there of having boxes that are little different production run and might have some issues with finishes of two areas not being same

My husband understands that we could save money doing that but he is worried about having someone in the house taking out carpet and laying another flooring when/if you still have a punch list—

and yes, I know we need to delay the close until everything on the punch list has been taken care of—but I also know builder will be pushing to close—so that is really separate issue

I just want to know if anyone has done what the sales guy suggested and how it worked out

Or if anyone has other suggestion from personal experience.

I don’t know how soon we can actually see the choices at a design center but looking at the options on the website the company’s choices are designed to make you upgrade—(no surprise there)

Like there are no white cabinets as standard—white 6” sq tile for bathroom walls and white 4” for floors
The standard bathroom fixtures are gag-me ugly
And the light fixture choices look about as bad
But fixtures are aspects than can be changed fairly easily (even if it takes $$)
We are upgrading to walk in shower in a guest bath because it is easier for seniors to get in/out of than a tub’shower. The 3rd bath will keep the tub/shower

Cabinets and flooring not so easy
But I know I don’t want mismatched flooring—the house we are in now was built in 70’s and remodeled by people we bought from and they had 5 different kinds/looks of flooring:

1–Original 4” white tile in guest bath and laundry
1 type of LVP in owners bedroom and bath
2nd type of LVP in main living/dining/hall
3rd type of LVP in kitchen/breakfast/entry
And then carpet in 3 bedrooms

So I want one flooring choice—maybe two if we keep carpet in bedrooms
I would be willing to take up carpet and stain concrete vs laying LVP or tile
but that takes a quality pour from the get-go from what I understand and isn’t likely to happen w/o special prep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 11:10 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
You can't make modifications to the house till you own it, which is when it closes. So you're not going to have your own flooring guys in there at the same time as the punch list guys.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You can't make modifications to the house till you own it, which is when it closes. So you're not going to have your own flooring guys in there at the same time as the punch list guys.
Not really responsive to my question but thanks for your time

Old 11-16-2023, 11:38 AM

14,497 posts, read 12,141,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not really responsive to my question but thanks for your time

Yes it is responsive.

You're talking about replacing floor while punch list items are still being done - when you don't own it yet.

If you do this, you'd have to wait until it closes, then replace the floors.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes it is responsive.

You're talking about replacing floor while punch list items are still being done - when you don't own it yet.

If you do this, you'd have to wait until it closes, then replace the floors.
It is certainly possible to close on a house and take ownership and still have a punch list to be completed

It is not the BEST way to do things but it happens

Which is why an owner could be changing out carpet for LVP at the same time guys are coming in to touch up paint…or fix a cabinet hinge or check a running toilet

Old 11-16-2023, 01:00 PM

14,497 posts, read 12,141,672 times
I don't know... I would never consider ripping out any brand new flooring.

It's so wasteful. I'm pretty sure I could live with one of the choices of flooring they're offering.

If you hate the flooring choices so much you would rip them out for being substandard before you've even walked on them, can't you just have them put nothing in? And not waste anyone's time, money or landfill space?

Just wait til it's closed (and the punch list is done) and put in your own floors?

Old 11-16-2023, 01:12 PM

1,928 posts, read 917,935 times
Quote:
The salesman told us frankly that it would be less expensive to get a better qualify flooring if we just went with standard Lvl 1 carpet throughout the house and upgraded the three baths/laundry and kitchen with a more expensive LVP—lux vinyl plank—then after closing to get same LVP for rest of house from flooring source and have carpet taken out and LVP installed…
But you run risk there of having boxes that are little different production run and might have some issues with finishes of two areas not being same

I would never agree to this. What's the point of building your own home from ground up if you're not going to get exactly what you want? You might as well just go buy a model home in the neighborhood and make changes to that home.

If there are upgrades you want, you get them. You're not saving money by having a laborer come in and rip up brand new carpet and laying down flooring that won't match up even if it's the same model. It will have seams where there wouldn't have been if it was done in the initial install.

I'm not trying to go cheaper on my brand new home. It is custom to my liking.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:07 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Quote:
We have signed contract on new home — it is a production builder not a custom which really isn’t our choice but based on the location of the subdivision...

You "signed a contract". And you didn't get what you wanted... other than the location. First mistake.

Second mistake, addressing decorating choices BEFORE signing the contract. If you didn't like the choices, why would you consider? Oh right; the location!

I'm sure there's a third in there somewhere... but I digress. Before there is a 4th, 5th, choose the whatever, standard choices are- DO NOT SPEND ANY EXTRA DOLLARS (unless it's underground, under concrete, or buried in walls)! Live with those choices until after the two year warranty period has elapsed. Then you can do whatever floats your boat!

Old 11-17-2023, 04:07 AM

4,858 posts, read 3,289,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't know... I would never consider ripping out any brand new flooring.

It's so wasteful. I'm pretty sure I could live with one of the choices of flooring they're offering.

If you hate the flooring choices so much you would rip them out for being substandard before you've even walked on them, can't you just have them put nothing in? And not waste anyone's time, money or landfill space?

Just wait til it's closed (and the punch list is done) and put in your own floors?

I've been told that 'nothing' isn't an option on a new build. Does it have something to do with a certificate of occupancy for mortgage purposes?

Old 11-17-2023, 07:43 AM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I've been told that 'nothing' isn't an option on a new build. Does it have something to do with a certificate of occupancy for mortgage purposes?

Yes- basically. AHJ’s can be rather stingy about that aspect of a build for many reasons.

I had one instance where I built a home for a couple that had their own flooring business. After quite a bit of wrangling with the Bldg Dept/Chief Inspector, we settled on a “temporary CO”. That got them through closing. They had 2weeks to finish the flooring for a permanent CO- or they would face fines.

This practice is not uncommon- but is mostly frowned upon by AHJ’s because they don’t want the hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating