Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 11:59 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about what bugs you on TV decorating shows, or just around your house.

1. How many home remodeling shows start in a house with an oven that hasn’t worked for 8 years, or they’ve been using a stove with only one working burner for 5 years? I’m watching one right now. Wouldn’t you think that a sensible person would have just replaced the oven or stove? On one show I watched, the couple were afraid of setting off the alarm in the house they bought, so they just never touched it. Remodeler came in and ripped it off the wall. Problem solved.

2.Why do The Property Brothers wear clothes that are one size too small?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 02:54 PM

23,328 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just wondering about what bugs you on TV decorating shows, or just around your house.

1. How many home remodeling shows start in a house with an oven that hasn’t worked for 8 years, or they’ve been using a stove with only one working burner for 5 years? I’m watching one right now. Wouldn’t you think that a sensible person would have just replaced the oven or stove? On one show I watched, the couple were afraid of setting off the alarm in the house they bought, so they just never touched it. Remodeler came in and ripped it off the wall. Problem solved.

2.Why do The Property Brothers wear clothes that are one size too small?
IMHO many of these shows aren't really about actually remodeling some house. They're veiled advertisements for manufacturers of building products and appliances. Sow dissatisfaction in viewers who have functional homes so they feel compelled to buy new stuff they don't really need. If some range manufacturer is paying them to showcase their product, voila, a range gets ripped out and the manufacturer's brand installed. So, the hosts can wear whatever they want, regardless how impractical. They're talking head shills that brandish a sledgehammer once in a while for dramatic purposes.

Old 09-21-2023, 02:58 PM

17,479 posts, read 66,104,344 times
Oh come on...
It's "ENTERTAINMENT"!!! Ain't about anything- Yada, Yada!

Old 09-21-2023, 03:29 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Those shows are staged... scripted in advance.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:29 PM

16,106 posts, read 10,771,225 times
Made you look!

The "love it or list it" show is the most duncey thing I have seen.

The house-hunter people are incredibly out of touch with reality. I hope they get paid.

Old 09-21-2023, 05:46 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,087,479 times
As to your first point ..

My husband's grandparents had a wall oven that stopped working sometime in the early 2000s. Then their built in cooktop lost a burner.

Mind you, these were old people who didn't want the hassle of workmen coming in and tearing things up and replacing them with stuff they were not used to.

But yeah, it does happen.

Personally I can't imaging going for over a decade without an oven.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:10 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,752,350 times
Yeah, I have watched both parents "let things go" in their homes like non-operational burners, "hot" outlets and the like, claiming that they can work around it for the time being and "eventually" get them fixed. And once they get used to "working around it" they see no point in wasting money to get them fixed. And as I get older, I see myself falling into the same habit.

I'm not even going to try to justify anything to do with those Scott Twins, though. Their 15 minutes ended years ago.

Old 09-21-2023, 09:27 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,882,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO many of these shows aren't really about actually remodeling some house. They're veiled advertisements for manufacturers of building products and appliances.
In the 1990's and early 2000's, it wasn't even about that. It was about heavy drama/fighting amongst the people renovating their home. Not unlike a different setting and characters for "Jersey Shore" or "Real World" (although the latter was more about sex than fighting... actually, 99% about sex). Very little on those remodeling shows taught viewers anything about architecture, appliances, or home renovation.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-21-2023 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: added context.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:21 AM

1,829 posts, read 810,819 times
I spent half of my childhood in a house where the stove had one functional burner & a nonfunctional oven, & a nonfunctional washing machine, making it necessary to go to a laundromat or more often, wash my clothes in a sink, so it does happen.

I only ever watched the very first Househunters shows, b/c at the time it was a unique concept & all the houses were in my neck of the woods. They didn’t even share the prices of the houses back then, which I thought was pretty strange. I think that was because of some kind of realtor syndicate.

Old 09-22-2023, 03:17 AM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Personally I can't imaging going for over a decade without an oven.
Lol... I personally know SEVERAL people who have remodeled and kept their kitchen up to highest standards with all the "most talked about" gadgets you can find on the market.
None of it was ever used. They don't cook at home. Ever. Don't know how, not interested to learn.
The kitchen it's just for show, when family and friends come over to visit. They live in their house 20+ years now.
Same with other things. They have the "must have, most trendy" stuff but never use it.

I don't watch those TV shows. They are staged, scripted and paid for advertisements. Fake and "influential". It's entertainment.
If l actually want to learn something, then I look for tutorials on YouTube.

Last edited by elnina; 09-22-2023 at 03:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating