Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 06:20 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Necessary? Only you can determine whether one or more TVs in your apartment are necessary OP! The fact that you live in a studio, that the studio is small, or what you'd have to pay for a TV really has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 06:30 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Do you really use the dining room table to dine on while (presumably) watching TV alone? I'd just eat in the living room with the TV unless I had guests over for dinner. I haven't sat down and eaten a meal (except in restaurants with friends) at a dining table since losing my family. I admire you if you do that, though, as it's very civilized! But living alone in a studio, I'd dispense with the "dining room" aspect altogether; maybe just use bar stools at a counter or island. That said, it's your place, and you can do whatever makes you happy!
The thing is, my dining room and kitchen connect. Not only can I watch when eating at the dining room table, but can also watch when I cook.

The main reason for me starting this thread is because I got anniversary points at work, and with those points, I can buy from a selection of merchandise. And there are some cheap TVs I can get with the points. So if I can get a free TV with my points and also have the added convenience of having a spare TV in my apartment, I figured, why not?

Old 02-20-2024, 11:16 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Do you really use the dining room table to dine on while (presumably) watching TV alone? I'd just eat in the living room with the TV unless I had guests over for dinner. I haven't sat down and eaten a meal (except in restaurants with friends) at a dining table since losing my family. I admire you if you do that, though, as it's very civilized! But living alone in a studio, I'd dispense with the "dining room" aspect altogether; maybe just use bar stools at a counter or island. That said, it's your place, and you can do whatever makes you happy!
We don’t hold many dinner parties either, but I do use my dining room table quite a bit to work jigsaw puzzles. We usually eat at our desk or we would probably use the table more for meals. I’ve never really liked eating in the living room.

I guess all this means is different strokes for different folks :-)

We had a TV in our kitchen way back in the 80s :-). It’s not a new idea.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:36 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I live in a studio apartment that’s an L shape. So while the living room and dining room are the same room, since it’s an L shape, I can’t see the living room TV when sitting in the dining room. And sometimes, I think it would be nice to have a small TV in the dining room to watch while I eat. But not sure if it’s unnecessary to have two TVs in both the dining room and living room when it’s only a studio apartment.
Do you feel it’s unnecessary to put a small TV in my dining room even tho I already have a large TV in my living room, since I live in a studio apartment?
My husband watches movies, etc. on the computer, two tablets and TV. He takes his tablets to the gym waiting room and watches while on some exercise equipment. If I lived alone, I don't think I would bother having a tv. Our cable bill is way too high. He charges one tablet while he watches movies on the other tablet. I told my husband if he goes first our TV will go shortly after him. I can think of so many other things to do with the $150 a month.

It is your home. Do as you please.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:29 AM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
The thing is, my dining room and kitchen connect. Not only can I watch when eating at the dining room table, but can also watch when I cook.
So you want to increase the amount of your screen time, it's not enough to just live life without it? I guess that's what modern life has come to.

I live in a similar dwelling as yours and once in a while fire up a movie and turn my monitor toward the kitchen so I can watch it while I'm cooking. Guess what happens? I get involved in cooking and food prep and am unable to watch or follow the movie with any concentration. I end up pausing the movie. Why would you want to do this? Chefs in working kitchens aren't watching movies while they're cooking, because they're cooking.

Put some music on and just enjoy cooking your food without trying to keep up with something happening on a screen.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:23 AM

256 posts, read 114,089 times
Wait for it -- unpopular opinion coming.

I think it's ridiculous!!!

With your points from work you can select much better merchandise. Two TV's in a studio apartment is impractical because it is essential to consider the space constraints. Every square inch matters and two TVs can quickly clutter up the limited space, making it feel cramped and chaotic.

I'll tell you what I have done in my dining area. I have a small table and a chair (I don't do any entertaining) and a very large, floor model bird cage. The happy, chirping from my pet birds brings me much joy, AND they are enough entertainment for me.

So, instead of staring at a screen, I get to listen to the healing powers that come from nature.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:46 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, for me! I cannot see the large television while I cook and so guess what... I decided
to buy a small TV to have in my kitchen. I hope I can find a red one to match my toaster!
Go for it!

Old 02-21-2024, 04:50 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
Quote:

The main reason for me starting this thread is because I got anniversary points at work, and with those points, I can buy from a selection of merchandise. And there are some cheap TVs I can get with the points. So if I can get a free TV with my points and also have the added convenience of having a spare TV in my apartment, I figured, why not?
I completely get this! When I'm in the kitchen either cooking or cleaning, I enjoy being able to have the tv on in the open floor plan we have. With a studio apartment you have to use the space to suit you and how you like to spend your time and there's absolutely nothing wrong with having the tv on.

There's so much good stuff you can stream or just watch a goofy "regular" kind of show that I know I would miss it if I didn't have the choice to have something on when I'm cooking, cleaning or just relaxing.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:41 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
I certainly can live without it for 15 mins, but like I said, it would be nice. That's all. TVs today are so dirt cheap, so I figured, what the heck!

What about getting an articulating corner mount so that you can see your big TV from either room?

Old 02-21-2024, 07:45 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
To me it would remind of being in a sports bar.

You would hate our house then! Downstairs in our party space, we have a TV on the wall of the mancave, and just outside the sliding glass doors, above the patio, we have two more mounted side-by-side so that we can see two or three different games or a race all at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating