Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM

161 posts, read 563,585 times

Advertisements

i have always had a double sink. but i am loving the look of a single deep basin. how do you wash and rinse your dishes in a single basin sink? any thoughts on the pros/cons of a single vs. double sink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I have had both. I agree that the single sink looks better, the double works better. There's nothing quite like having a side free for draining stuff, washing hands, etc, while the other side is full of soapy water, just waiting for a dirty dish or pot. It's even possible for two people to do things at the sink at the same time.

If you ever need to wash out things like baby clothes by hand, a double sink is almost a must. Wash in one side and put the clothes in the other side for rinsing.

I think if you almost have to have a dishwasher if you have a single sink. Otherwise, you use a dishpan for washing, and rinse in the sink.

Having said that.....I thought I would like a double sink with a disposal in one side.....until I had to use one for a couple of weeks. Nope, I'll put my trimmings in the garbage and not have to worry about silverware dropping down into the wrong drain.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
We have a double sink in our house that is for sale in SC. Right now we are renting an apartment and have a single one that I HATE! I can't wait until we get a house with a double sink again. It is a pain with the single deep basin JMO. Maybe I am doing something wrong.LOL.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,967 times
I like a single sink. Much easier to wash larger pots and pans.

I did have a double sink that I really like - one side was larger deeper - and it is nice to have one side to rinse/wash/whatever when the other side has dirty dishes/pots etc in it.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
For me, I think it is more important to have a great sink fixture than the actual sink. One of the curved tall long neck fixtures are the best. They make it easier to fill the pots and wash with.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
We are redoing our kitchen and will be putting in a large, single sink, a nice shiny white one that is very deep. Since we have a dishwasher, we don't need separate rinse/wash areas. The only things we wash by hand are pots & pans, with the new sink they will actually fit!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
You can't beat those wide, deep farmhouse sinks. You can fit just about anything into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think if you almost have to have a dishwasher if you have a single sink.
You really don't even need a dishpan if the single sink is a small one. Just fill the sink with an inch or two of water, begin washing your dishes, and let the running rinse water fill the sink as you go. Follow the age-old advice of washing the least dirty dishes first.

I agree with you about the disposal, though. A glass breaks in the sink and some pieces accidentally get into the disposal? I never use mine anymore, either -- all vegetable refuse goes into the compost bin, and nothing else should go into the disposal anyway.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
We are redoing our kitchen and will be putting in a large, single sink, a nice shiny white one that is very deep. Since we have a dishwasher, we don't need separate rinse/wash areas. The only things we wash by hand are pots & pans, with the new sink they will actually fit!
I completely agree.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I agree with you about the disposal, though. A glass breaks in the sink and some pieces accidentally get into the disposal? I never use mine anymore, either -- all vegetable refuse goes into the compost bin, and nothing else should go into the disposal anyway.
I also agree about not needing a disposal. Our new house does not have one and I thought I would miss it, but I don't and am actually liking it better.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritle View Post
i have always had a double sink. but i am loving the look of a single deep basin. how do you wash and rinse your dishes in a single basin sink? any thoughts on the pros/cons of a single vs. double sink?
In the single sink, you either don't fill it very full, and rinse above the level of the water and put in drainer, or clean all dishes in soapy water, drain, and rinse...

don't like single sinks, either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating