Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times

Advertisements

That seems to be a "thing" now in many houses - even the house we are planning on buying [but that was NOT a selling factor for us - I think it will be dated in a few years, probably already] but..............

for those who HAVE this, how does it work for TV viewing? It seems the TV is a bit high. I think we are stuck because that is where the cable outlet is but personally I think I would hide it behind something.

Do they make a "wireless router" kind of things for TVs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I dont like a high TV...I would be putting a fishtank or something in there.
I had a high buffet for my tv and ended up switching it out for something much lower.
I get a stiff neck looking at that thing. Maybe i am too short for these modern times.
;P

Cable guy can move the cable for you.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,017 times
you could put a BIG painting over the hole. i don't like those holes either; it does seem high. my parents have their tv over their fireplace and i don't like it. my neck kind of starts to hurt looking up at it and i appreciate trying to combine focal points, but i would rather be comfortable watching a movie. can't really lay on the couch and look up and be comfortable.

i'm short too pitt, it's rough. haha.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:20 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
I dont know why they do it. Its very unattractive and a void. The friends of ours that have it use it to display stuff they normally put on a mantle.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
I guess like many "home improvements" it was designed by someone who does not actually use it -- you know like putting two bedrooms walls together without an intervening closet, cabinets that are built for the jolly green giant, windows in places that prevent you from arranging furniture, etc.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
I've seen them in newer homes. Looks like something you'd see in a sports bar or an OTB.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,441 times
When you put a flat screen tv above the fireplace you need to buy bracket to mount it too. When you go to the store to buy it you can pick out different types. We went to Sams Club. They had two different kinds. One of the types you can actually pull the tv off the wall like an accordion. The other one lets you tilt the tv down. We purchased the second one. The problem with the flat screen tv is they are light weight and you have to clamp it down to hold it in place. So even if you were to place it on a table or console you still have to have something to hold it down. Ours came with a recommendation from the manufacturer.

We love our tv over the fireplace. When you watch from your couch or chair you will look up but if the room is big enough it wont matter much. I guess its all a matter of taste preference.

Good luck with the decision,
roxy

Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
We had this same dilemma when we bought our new home in April. The family room opens onto the kitchen/dining area. I opted for a lovely painting in the alcove over the fireplace instead and have kept this room a bit more formal. We have a small 1st floor den/study and watch TV in there.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:15 PM

5 posts, read 27,954 times
We had the same structure in both of our homes. In the first home, we did have the opportunity not to place the tv in the alcove. So I bought a large cement urn and designed a floral arrangment in it. Then I placed this in the alcove.

The last house, we didn't have a choice. We had to put our tv up there. So when it was time to sell our house, I bought a large painting in front of the tv. I also enhanced the fireplace by adding brass sconces ( I painted them black) and put them on each side of the fireplace wall. It looked very beautiful!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
I am all for putting a flat screen over the fireplace. A builder we are looking into even compensates for height by lowering the fireplace a few inches for viewing comfort.

What I am against is the alcove itself. I hate the alcove design and don't think it was the brightest idea. The alcove space determines the size screen you can have, and many of them I've seen had odd shapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating