Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times

Advertisements

Fabric sounds good.. If its small maybe king size sheets would work with peel and stick velcro. Ive never tried ths on glass but if you soak fabric in starch you can smooth it on the wall and just pull it off later.

You might also want to try glass wax. It can be tinted and sponged or painted on.. Ive used it to decorate windows and it comes right off. Spray on snow works too but its limited to white. Ive used it on windows and it comes right off too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Are the mirrors big panels leaving vertical seams on the walls?
If so, what about painting alternating wide horizontal stripes of cream and a beigey yellow perhaps even leaving a 'stripe' of mirror in the middle?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
I had the same problem in a house I rented. Good Lord they had these HUGE mirrors all around a garden tub....like I would want to see myself nude from all those various angles.

I went to Home Depot. They sell this film for widows that doesn't require glue or anything. It just sticks on glass/mirror. You can get stained glass print, etched glass looks, clouds, ivy, all sorts of choices. It cost around $20 a roll...so it isn't cheap but works wonderfully. You just cut and stick it up....it is totally forgiving so you can take several tries to get it straight. The best part is after you move, you can peel it right off and take it with you to use someplace else.

Oh...I found the link online:
Window Films - Window Treatments - Decor at The Home Depot (http://tinyurl.com/9ypy57 - broken link)

Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I had the same problem in a house I rented. Good Lord they had these HUGE mirrors all around a garden tub....like I would want to see myself nude from all those various angles.

I went to Home Depot. They sell this film for widows that doesn't require glue or anything. It just sticks on glass/mirror. You can get stained glass print, etched glass looks, clouds, ivy, all sorts of choices. It cost around $20 a roll...so it isn't cheap but works wonderfully. You just cut and stick it up....it is totally forgiving so you can take several tries to get it straight. The best part is after you move, you can peel it right off and take it with you to use someplace else.

Oh...I found the link online:
Window Films - Window Treatments - Decor at The Home Depot (http://tinyurl.com/9ypy57 - broken link)
oh yeah I forgot about that stuff! I have a 'frosted' window in my kitchen!
it does work great...just don't get the Gila brand window film, that stuff has a pretty nasty adhesive.

Also a similar idea is to buy rice paper or other kind of large 'handmade' art paper (not vellum) but if you go to an independent art store you'll find some really pretty stuff, anyway you can water down Elmer's white glue and paint it on the mirrors and affix the sheets to it. Once it's dry it looks great, and it could look really pretty with the mirror behind it.
Same affect as the vinyl static window films, but a whole lot cheaper since the art paper is usually about $4 a sheet
the largest size of the vinyl stuff can be about $40

the elmer's glue paper idea is very easy to remove with a spray bottle filled with water, just soak it down and scrape off with a squeegee. I've done this in 2 different houses and removed it easily before selling the last one.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,521 times
Lightbulb Now you see you, now you don't

There are several options you could try: 1) You could hang fabric from wire strung through grommets or velcro strips attached to top of mirrors, or 2) you can make frames (like a picture frame,) out of lightweight wood molding or trim wood, the full size of the mirror and cover with fabric or paneling (little heavier) and really do some interesting color treatments or self paint things on canvas and wrap around frames.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by papeggy; 01-14-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: did not see other posts that mentioned vinyl cling

Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 PM

200 posts, read 1,067,276 times
contact paper or frosted film. or cork tiles. i'd even glue wainscotting, wood flooring there (i did in my game room)

Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Im in the process of lining my stepback cupboard with burlap cause its not cool to paint the insides of antique cupboards I wanted a lighter backgound so my klediments will show up better so Im using light creme burlap. It comes in other colors tho. Red green yellow tan black white etc

If you use frabric I think you would like the burlap. Its heavy and it has a lot of texture. Stretched out flat it reminds me of wallpaper. Light weight unbreakable pics could be pinned to it. Or you could cut a slit and use a suction cup to attach pics to the mirror in behind the burlap..

Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Hmmmmmm attractive, heavy-duty suction cup hooks around the top with lightweight fabric hung from them? Or.....some of that attractive faux stained or leaded glass plastic film (high end) that's used to obscure windows? After all, your mirrors are glass, windows are glass.....could work! Besides, the fact that they're mirrors could make some of that film OR the fabric look very cool.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
What about double stick tape and some rice paper? or some other type of translucent paper? For that matter it would not have to be translucent - you could even use some type of gift wrap or art paper. Actual wall paper might work - if it's not too thick - I'm not sure it would be hold with just double stick tape.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
Another thought might be the spray frost. They sell it in the paint stores. (big box stores have it too) You could do a pattern with tape - it will look like etched glass. The only draw back is that it's a type of paint - you won't get it off! If you do anything like that get permission from the Landlord first!

One more idea might be the large window clings - they are made to cover windows. Can be purchased at the big box stores. They have several patterns. They are not that cheap - you might need to consider how many you'd need to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating