Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 9,803 times

Advertisements

I am interested to know how much people have payed recently and have been quoted to have their house painted. I am a professional house painter who has worked for a local painting contractor for numerous years. A couple of months ago I got married and decided to step out on my own as far as painting goes. I have done a decent amount of jobs on my own, but I have quickly realized that many people are being charged too much by some companies and are being given sub standard quality. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Which is it?
Charged too much?
Or, sub-standard quality?

As the old adage goes- "You get what you pay for"
So, are they truely being over-charged? Let's see...
There's the marketing expense, payroll (sales, labor, office, etc.), insurance (w/c and general liability), supplies (painting and office), materials (ladders, brushes, sprayers, handtools, pressure washers, etc.), and taxes. Then, if anything is left over- you can pay yourself.

I don't think there is a thing as "sub-standard"- the quality of finish is determined by the level at which you hold the contractor responsible.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

I don't think there is a thing as "sub-standard"- the quality of finish is determined by the level at which you hold the contractor responsible.
I'll have to disagree with that.
If the painter does sub standard prep work, the finish will be sub standard.
If you are not watching the daily progress of critical prep work, then you will not be happy with the finished job and at that point it is sub-standard and too late...

Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
At my last house (cedar sided) I was quoted a little more than $4,000 to restain the house (2 story). That was one coat too.

It required no real prep other than a good wash down prior to recoat. It was the same oil based stain that the house was originally done in..

After that quote, I decided to do it myself and put 3 coats on the south- south-west side and two on the others.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 AM

5 posts, read 9,803 times
I think that there should be some level of standard that denotes it to be done right. I don't think that just because the home owner isn't watching every process or lacks understanding about what they should expect is any reason that they should be taken advantage of. Now if they are looking for a freebee and are trying to take advantage of the contractor that is a little different. In that sense either the contractor should reject the opportunity keeping his reputation as a quality painter or give the customer what they are paying for. For contractors in this economy who just need to stay busy the latter seems to be the obvious choice. The sad thing is that many people think that a paint job is a paint job and that is just not true. I have seen people paint there own homes and it looks horrible, but they don't seem to care much. I have also had many people try to do it on their own and later come to me to have it corrected and done right.

William

Mod Cut Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-16-2009 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating