Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,713 times

Advertisements

Laminate floors are very easy to install with the type of locking system it now has. Laminate has come a long way and you can even get the type with faux graining on it. Seriously, anyone with a good eye and decent hands can do. Just make sure you stagger the seams. The delicate part is the molding on top and any kind of threshold you have (i.e., wood-to-wood, wood-to-carpet, etc.). Unlike carpeted floors where you can nail your threshold directly through the carpet onto the subfloor, a laminate floor requires a piece that's screwed onto the subfloor and then an upper piece that snaps on top. Sounds quirky but it's not that hard and looks really terrific as a finished piece.

With pets, laminate floors are great for their durability (the animal's nails). Also, if you live someplace with alot of sand, laminate is great because of how it resists sand (the enemy of wood floors).

I had a floor installed in an office of an old (1970s) building. The floor was part concrete, part brick, really lumpy and had gouges. We pulled up the old carpet that had glue that was insanely hard to remove. So we simply sanded down the floor. The laminate was great because it is a "floating floor" and once completed, you can't even tell how lumpy the old floor once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:59 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,766 times
How well does the flooring hold up. Like under a heavy couch or refrigerator. Does it leave marks from the legs or wheels?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:05 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,429 times
I just finished working on a foreclosure to "flip" and I put laminate floors in on the entire first floor. I did it myself and it is relatively easy and fast except for going around door jambs. I found the laminate at Home Depot on sale for $.79/sf!!! Here is a picture of the completed project.
Attached Thumbnails
Flooring on small budget-img_1509_1.jpg  

Old 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I just finished working on a foreclosure to "flip" and I put laminate floors in on the entire first floor. I did it myself and it is relatively easy and fast except for going around door jambs. I found the laminate at Home Depot on sale for $.79/sf!!! Here is a picture of the completed project.
Wow! Great job! Lookin' good

Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
How well does the flooring hold up. Like under a heavy couch or refrigerator. Does it leave marks from the legs or wheels?
Highly durable. I once dragged a steel file cabinet across my floor --- not a scratch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating