Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times

Advertisements

Perhaps someone can help.

I have a metal storm door on the front of my home. The door is fairly common with a window in the middle that switches out to screen. The door has a white, baked enamel factory finish. But I'd like to change the color. Heaven help me, I want to paint it!

Does anyone have any experience painting doors like this?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
If you have a steel door you can paint it. Product is available to accomplish the task.

I suspect your door is aluminum which is not paintable. When I say you can not, it's not because you can not. It means you are not supposed to and there are no products sold to do so. But if you read posts in the House forum we have people painting wall paper, glass, old wood cabinets, fiberglass, vinyl siding and all kinds of things that do not take paint. To many people a jury rigged discombobulated laughable handy Joe project is something to be proud of and that dont make them bad. It dont make it right though.

I suggest you just replace that old storm door. The most expensive you can buy is only $300 and they drop in price from there. I would not suggest buying the $97 one put at the end of the isle to fool shoppers. Go mid range and you can name your color and style.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 51,923 times
Makes no difference what type of material it is made, but different processes depending aluminum or steel. If steel, no need for oil based or alykds. If stell, use a DTM or Direct to Metal in any paint color your little heart desires. If aluminum, use an XIM oil primer first, then latex finish coat(s), that will last longer than the door it's protecting. Well, keep left-over paint for touch-ups say around door handles, but can easily be cleaned. Good Luck!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:57 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,724 times
i haven't had any experience but know that they can be painted. check Home Depot for details they do offer such services.

Jeanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating