Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times

Advertisements

We are pricing countertops for new cabinets in the kitchen. The area is 27 sq. ft. The whole kitchen, with the new cabinets would have about 60 sq. feet, but we don't want to replace all the counters at this time. Our thought was that we could get a "cheap" laminate for the new cabinets and then change everything in a few years. The problem is nobody wants to do such a small area, or we are getting prices of $50 or more a sq. ft. We were thinking around $800 ($30-35 sq. ft) to do the new cabinets in laminate. Does that sound unrealistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:34 PM

We were checking big box stores. After calling around, I think I found more of what we need.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We are pricing countertops for new cabinets in the kitchen. The area is 27 sq. ft. The whole kitchen, with the new cabinets would have about 60 sq. feet, but we don't want to replace all the counters at this time. Our thought was that we could get a "cheap" laminate for the new cabinets and then change everything in a few years. The problem is nobody wants to do such a small area, or we are getting prices of $50 or more a sq. ft. We were thinking around $800 ($30-35 sq. ft) to do the new cabinets in laminate. Does that sound unrealistic?
I dont understand your post. Are you adding some new cabinets but want to granite just that portion? Sorry it dont make sense but I will try. First off why do you not want to replace the whole thing now? Price? I will tell you why you were quoted $50 SF because you never read my past posts. Do not go to Home Depot or Lowes for your cabinets or countertops like you probably did. If you go to buy a new car you would not pay sticker/MSRP/retail price so why pay it for cabinets?

Where I am now granite is going for as low as $21 sf. We sell it for $29 and have nothing to do with it. We had a granite company put tops on all of our kitchen displays at NO charge to us. In return we send them all the business from anyone who buys our kitchens. And we get a grand ol kick back of $4/sf. Does this give you some idea what rapists HD and Lowes are?

Now.....take your total you came up with. And here are the hidden costs. The sink cut out costs you $150, faucett holes cost $50. $100 to polish all exposed ends that will not get a bullnose such as each side of the range. Those are just starters. Now the $50 sf quote becomes even more doesn't it. Also keep in mind if you need for example just 5 sf you will have to pay for $32 sf. Granite comes in about 4X8 slabs. You must purchase the whole slab even if you do not use it. And they keep the left over piece and sell it for bathroom vanities. Pretty sharp huh?

Your $35 sf for laminate is highway robbery too. We sub that out at $25 so HD and Lowes is taking that additional $10 as markup. Find out who they use and call them. Same job but price is about half when the big box store installed sales are not involved.

Lastly I find it hard to believe in this economic depression that people do not want to do even small jobs. The construction industry stands over 50% unemployment rate and that does not even count everyone.

Why dont you do granite 12x12 tiles? You can even buy the matching granite face edge lengths in 36" pieces. Try real hard though to buy 13x13 becasue your countertop is 25" deep and two 12s leaves you with a 1" strip which would look like hell. Cut the tiles right in half to make your 6" or 6.5" back splash.

I do not recomend laminate for many reasons but if money is tight go for it.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Ok. I'll try this again. I didn't say anything about granite. The projects we are planning total about $23k and the possibility of gaining more cabinet space came up. We don't have an additional $4k +/- to put into new and replacement counters. The new counter space is 27 sq. ft. There is no sink to deal with in that space. So, our thought is to do a cheap counter on the new cabinets and leave the old for now. Then, in a few years we would replace all of it.

The "recession" (we are far from a depression) does not seem to have hit this area (Northern VA)very hard. At least it doesn't seem that way. We found basic laminate for $17 sq. ft. installed. If they will actually do that for 27 sq. ft. of space, we would go with that for now.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
For $800, you could build a plywood frame and and tile the entire countertop.

How to: kitchen-backsplash-ideas for the perfect kitchen

It doesn't need to be as ugly as the example.

Buy whatever tile is on sale.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

We were actually just exploring this as another option.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Ok. I'll try this again. I didn't say anything about granite. The projects we are planning total about $23k and the possibility of gaining more cabinet space came up. We don't have an additional $4k +/- to put into new and replacement counters. The new counter space is 27 sq. ft. There is no sink to deal with in that space. So, our thought is to do a cheap counter on the new cabinets and leave the old for now. Then, in a few years we would replace all of it.

The "recession" (we are far from a depression) does not seem to have hit this area (Northern VA)very hard. At least it doesn't seem that way. We found basic laminate for $17 sq. ft. installed. If they will actually do that for 27 sq. ft. of space, we would go with that for now.
You are right, Virginia has not been hit as hard. Neither has DC or Maryland. But never assume because you are doing better that the rest of us are not in a depression because we are. I know the Virginia market now. We have several locations there and I lived there for many years. I miss it too by the way. Very much so.

I understand now. Eh..... go for it. If it's a straight run then go ahead and hit Home Depot or Lowes who both sell those ready made rolled laminate tops already made. They come up to 12 lengths. You do not want a seam so keep that in mind when designing the cabinet run. Just buy the ends and put them on with a cloths iron. DO NOT buy the cabinets there though or you will get raped.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Those red tiles are gross huh? And the pic with the green diamonds on the backsplash that you got from Beyond Belief Homes is horrible. The dumb azz put each green diamond right where the outlet is. I guess they were brain dead.

So much incompetence out there. No wonder why good contractors will always have an uphill battle to fight trying to win jobs.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But never assume because you are doing better that the rest of us are not in a depression because we are.
She didn't assume that. She was sharing information about her region.

Quote:
Those red tiles are gross huh?
Totally. That's why I tried to find some other pictures. I had to post the ugly red tile picture because of the great diagram.

Quote:
And the pic with the green diamonds on the backsplash that you got from Beyond Belief Homes is horrible. The dumb azz put each green diamond right where the outlet is. I guess they were brain dead.
I didn't even notice that! I was only looking at counters! I wanted to find pictures without backsplashes because the OP is trying to save money. I just quickly did some google image searches to come up with something less frightening than the ugly red tiles, but my time was limited.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 22,956 times
I have an island with wheels in my kitchen which is a stand alone storage cabinet on wheels. It has a laminated top which matches my counter top. I want to change the laminated top on my island because it is cracked and needs replacing. It measures 27 x 36. Because this is such a small project, we are having a problem finding someone to do the job. Therefore, we are thinking of doing the job ourselves. However, this would be a first for us. Is this recommended or should we continue to try and hire a contractor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating