Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times

Advertisements

Bout 10 years ago I purchased plantation shutters off the shelves at Lowe's and Home Depot to do an entire house....were about 30 bucks each. They carried 'stock' sizes for average windows....so if you had big designer windows you had to special order them.

Well, now that I have a new place I want to do the same thing for the front windows facing the road but Home Depot and Lowe's shelves are bare...but their "custom installation" desk is more than happy to take between $100 and $200 for them to do it.

I was fortunate to find them, for stock sizes, on HomeDepot.com and Lowes.com just 2 months ago. I got the first one, $60 bucks. Now I'm ready for the second room's....and they have vanished from their sites.

Seems companies won't let you just buy them anymore- THEY want to do it...as charge for measuring and installation. This isn't rocket science and these shutters for average windows are a simple task.

So now, I'm lost. Where do I go for 'stock' interior shutters? Anyone know? I wish I had kept the packaging from the ones from the .com so I could contact them directly but I threw it out.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Be patient. There's a reason.

The manufacturer stopped distribution in the United States.

Stores are looking for a Chinese vendor that can provide stable distribution to the United States.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
So now, I'm lost. Where do I go for 'stock' interior shutters? Anyone know? I wish I had kept the packaging from the ones from the .com so I could contact them directly but I threw it out.

Thanks for your help.
Try Googling "stock size plantation shutters" and you'll get a lot of options. Here's just one:

Wooden Shutters - www.BuyPlantationShutters.com

Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the info....been to that site already and for what used to be 60 bucks is over $200 on their site.

But I will be patient and keep looking.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 12,794 times
Thank you for your post. I found the perfect ready to order plantation orders at on-line at home depot several months ago. They were reasonably priced and ready to order, but I decided to wait to place the order. I tried a few days ago and they have disappeared. I do not need anything high-end or custom. The previous ones were perfect.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Crobin35- come back to this thread and let us know if you find them anywhere. You are correct in that they have totally vanished off the Home Depot site, just weeks after placing an order for room #1 out of 4 (was going to do them one at a time).

I simply refuse to get custom shutters when they are out there...stock. Trick is to finding the place.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Did you try to contact either places? This disturbs me too as we have a set of them in our living space and were looking to do our other rooms. It is on our list to go to one of those places, you saved us the trip, but now I am sooo bummed. We are on a ltd budget and this was one way we wanted to save by doing it ourselves.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
The company that supplied Lowes with the plantation shutters was Lewis Hyman (even though they were in the Basic Blinds packaging. I dont know if that helps any.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 AM

Bumping the thread-

anyone able to purchase interior window shutters from the shelves w/o paying an arm and a leg? I've started my renovations and am stumped! But I can't justify spending 3-4 times as much because the store removes them from shelves to classifiy them as 'professional install' when they just require 4 screws.

HELP!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Seriously, try Craigslist. We were looking for some too and they have them for sale on there from time to time. I figure people who are getting foreclosed on want to sell them and get what they can out of their homes. But, be quick because investors snap them up! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating