Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,947 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have visited this site several times before, however this is my first post. I hope I am in the right place.
I am in the process of switching my otr microwave to a Kobe range hood (CH7930SQ). The problem is that my cabinets above my range are deeper (15") than the depth of the hood's top panel (12"). I would like to know how to go about aligning the hood's top with the cabinet front? I have uploaded some pics on picasa to help you understand this : Picasa Web Albums - Vini - range hood
I would also need to raise my backsplash or do something with the space above the current backsplash. Any ideas for that will also be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
There is only one answer and I dont like it and I suspect you wont like it. Let me first say that cabinet that comes out to 15 is a great design but it limits some hoods. Microwaves will all still fit with no trouble.

If you really really really want that kobe hood then I would like it pulled out 3" from the wall as the cabinet is. The front will all line up perfectly. Underneith you can have a sheetmetalist modfiy or just make a piece to fit the gap.

Hope that helps....

Old 06-11-2009, 12:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
I'm with Desertsun41, I doubt you will get a satisfactory result unless you mount the hood forward against the lip of the upper cabinet. You will have a gap at the back but it could be mitigated with trim much less noticeably than a big, glaring offset at the front of the hood.

Which model will you be going with? Your life will be far simpler if you select a model that has a rear exhaust option. Also, you may get lucky but you will probably need to have some custom ductwork to make the Kobe exhaust match the microwave ducts. A google search for "sheetmetal fabricator" should bring up some options in your area. Call at least ten shops if there are that many.

As for the backsplash, my wife would see this as an excellent opportunity to re-tile or attempt to leverage me into re-tiling, but I would want to do something really terrible like install a steel diamondplate hanger board for ladels, rags, spatulas, etc. etc. with a magnetic knife strip.

The cheapest, easiest thing to do may be to put a strip of complementary glass tile in there or you could try to match the existing tile, although that, for me, would be a very involved project to avoid any "seams".

Anyway, good luck and show us some pictures when you get it finished.

By the way, I think I have that same crockpot.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,947 times
Thank you both for your suggestions. The project is underway and I will post pictures soon. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating