Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 03:04 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

The weather doesn't change all that much where I live, but people still make changes in curtains, pillows, linens, location of furniture, fresh flowers and any other assortment of things in order to bring the summer into their home.

Do you make changes in your home decor to bring the Summer in???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 04:19 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Glory where I am now we dont want to bring in any more summer.

9 consectutive days over 100
8 consectutive days breaking an all time high temp.
Hottest June since records have been kept.

We are sick of it. Tomorrow might be the first break when we have a severe cold front coming in and it's expected to drop temps to about 96.

Summer decor? Yikes we have people putting aluminum foil over their windows trying to deflect some sun. Pick your color, black aluminum or natural aluminum.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,887 times
Yes. It's called "non-Christmas" decor.

I'm from Texas also and it's just too hot to care. I get into Easter, Fall/Halloween and Christmas but summer is my house at its most basic. With the window treatments closed to shut out all possible heat, the darkened interiors don't inspire me to play.

Maybe setting my sofa on fire would carry the summer theme indoors? haha.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
How do we bring summer in??? We open the windows.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
We have too many expenses ie our kids to worry about changing decor over to summer. The only thing I'll do is bring my palms out to covered porch. The interior stays the same.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Glory where I am now we dont want to bring in any more summer.

9 consectutive days over 100
8 consectutive days breaking an all time high temp.
Hottest June since records have been kept.

We are sick of it. Tomorrow might be the first break when we have a severe cold front coming in and it's expected to drop temps to about 96.

Summer decor? Yikes we have people putting aluminum foil over their windows trying to deflect some sun. Pick your color, black aluminum or natural aluminum.
We've had so much crappy heat until I'm sick of it already too! Luckily, I live on the second floor of a condo and all the exterior windows, plus patio, have great tree coverage. If I didn't have all that, I certainly would be out buying tinfoil myself!!!

My living room and dining room are all in white on white. I never change it except adding Christmas stuff. (Yep, I got a white tree too!)

Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Different bed coverings (and no flannel sheets!)
Lighter -- in color and weight -- curtains in all rooms
Lighter table linens
Fresh flowers from the garden
Vegetables and herbs from the garden
Grass clippings that stick to my shoes after mowing the lawn ... *sigh*

Old 07-06-2009, 05:44 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
My living room and dining room are all in white on white. I never change it except adding Christmas stuff. (Yep, I got a white tree too!)
A white tree against white decor is gorgeous! I had one for many years and have a lighting tip: wrap the center 'trunk' with 1 strand of 25 light, white (ceramic) C7 or C9 lights. This is in addition to the normal clear or multi-color mini lights on the tree. The tree will absolutely GLOW from within!

*sigh*...I can't wait 'till Christmas.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
I guess I'm lucky, I had my fabricator make me summer bedding, summer window treatments that are actually made from mosquito netting, and I do slipcovers on the furniture with different pillows. I roll up the rugs, change my florals, and make sure the UV film on the windows are all intact.
DH thinks I am insane........

Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I can't really keep changing things but every once an awhile I will pick up something to add a little boost. Like a new vase or sheets. I am not into fresh flowers but I think for people who are that would be a nice thing to add a little summer in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating