Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:29 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've got this new living room and it's going to need an area rug. According to the listing sheet, the room is 11.5' x 19' although that would include the walk-through from the kitchen to the front door and stairs. How do I figure out what size area rug to look for? I figure I'll also get a runner for the walk-through.

I'm also trying to figure out what colors to look for. My palette is pretty much harvest tones. The walls are cream/tan, the curtains are rust-nutbrown. The loveseats are amber, and a wing-back chair is narrow stripes of cream and rust. My artwork is mostly Maxfield Parrish (although darker pics than his usual). I know I can punch up color with throw pillows and maybe a throw blanket on the loveseat (there will be 2). But what do I do for the area rug? It's over lovely hardwood floor, kinda light colored. Rusty reds? brown/creams? deep blue??? I have no clue how to decorate!

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:06 AM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
For the measurement, I assume that I'll have an area rug centered and with approximately a foot (at a minimum) of gappage from the walls. I don't worry about having a rug on pass through areas - in fact I prefer not to because high traffic areas collect dirt. It's easier to wipe down a wood floor than to clean a rug.

You could do with a typical 9 x 12 sized rug, or a size thereabouts.

Color - consider a color that you want to run through the kitchen or other rooms that lead into the living room. What you put on the floor should reflect other colors throughout the downstairs. This helps to make rooms feel connected and improves flow. Let's say you went with a blue-toned rug. Then run some of that color into the kitchen or connecting room with floor mats, linens, ceramics, etc.

Exciting, for colors that pop - I would consider doing an area rug that incorporates a lot of rich blue with rust accents. This is a bold move but deep blues really bring out amber and browns.
Blue 1
Blue 2

Harmonious, traditional blends - Try a green rug. Sage green is always safe but also consider emerald tones for a peppier combination. Red is a good option, too.
Green 1
Green 2

Monochromatic, soothing and quiet - do a beige, cream or brown rug. I'm getting a little lazy with links at this point (sorry) but I'm sure you can picture a rug or two in these colors...lol.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
If you can't find an area rug that you like, consider finding a carpet you like and have it cut and bound to the exact size that works for your room and your furniture layout. I recently bought a 9 x 14 remnant and had it bound. The underside of the carpet had a "fabric" backing of some sort that wouldn't scratch hardwood floors. In a few years, I hope to get new carpeting throughout my house. This remnant was a temporary fix after a brick hearth was removed and the room remodeled. I had it cut to 9 x 11.5 ft and bound for $160.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM

hmmm, interesting thoughts. I never thought about buying carpet and having it cut and bound. I'll have to remember that possibility. Who did the binding? I mean, can I go to any carpet place or Lowes/HD and do that??

Kitty, I love that second blue one! Ok, the kitchen is through the doorway - it's a very dark blue with white cabinets, appliances and 'wood' paneling. So definitely something that incorporates blue. DH's favorite color is blue, he'd be happy with that (I'm more the emerald or forest green). I had been thinking brown tones which goes with the walls... but then I'm very monochromatic in imagination I tend to think in terms of solids because I can't 'see' patterns in things - even clothes. yeah, I can be a little boring; I'm trying to break out of that.

Thanks! so I should be looking at 9x12? I'll have to look around, I hadn't seen that size - though to be honest I was only looking so far on ebay for ideas.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Hi Wanna - glad to help! Blue will also go with your M. Parrish prints, too.

A 9 x 12 is an average of sizes, like a ballpark figure. I came up with it because I knew your room dimension to be 11.5' x 19' and you need some space between the rug's edge and the walls. You can definitely go smaller than that, especially if you have to consider tilework or a raised hearth around a fireplace. Maybe a size similar to an 8 x 11? Actual sizes may be more like 7'9 x 11', etc.

I think it's better to show off some wood flooring than to try to fit the rug closely to the walls. As an example, in my family room, the room itself is 16' x 18', but I chose an area rug that's 9'10 x 12'10. This gives me a nice rug 'footprint' to nest my furniture around while showing off my wood floors near the window and fireplace. My furniture isn't crowded either because each piece straddles the rug and wood in some way or another, which softens the transition between rug and wood.

Check out these rugs from Overstock.com. I own two of these, one for the foyer and one for the dining room. They hold up really well and the finish is very soft. Plus it's not too expensive. Always a good thing!
Navy 1
Navy 2

Old 08-06-2009, 12:49 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Try these guys.

Rugs Direct - Buy Direct and Save.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
hmmm, interesting thoughts. I never thought about buying carpet and having it cut and bound. I'll have to remember that possibility. Who did the binding? I mean, can I go to any carpet place or Lowes/HD and do that??
Some carpet places do their own binding, some send the work out elsewhere. Call carpet stores in your area. I was quoted $1.75 per linear ft I think at one place and paid $2.50 I think. It was just easier for me to buy the carpet, have it bound, then delivered since I don't have a truck to haul the remnant from carpet store, to place to have it bound then back to my house.

I don't think Lowes or Home Depot binds carpet. I know I asked at Lowe's here and they didn't.

To save money, look at remnants.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Have one made to fit what you want.

Call David or Charlene Hunt, at the Vermont Rug Company,

Vermont Custom Rug Co in Bristol, VT 05443 - (802) 453-7160

Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 PM

wow, I wish they had a website, I'd love to see some of their work. I love buying 'local' (well, at least it's northern New England!).

any idea what their rates are? I mean, and are we talking making a complete rug, or rug binding of a remnant?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
We have been on David & Charlene to make a website for years, but they are the Nations top custom rug makers.
I can tell you from first hand experience, looking at his work, on the flooring message boards for the last 14 years, no one can match the quality and craftsmanship, put into their product.

They are known for there very custom rugs, hand sewn, borders and insets, serging and binding, but I'm sure they can and do bind a remnant, too.

Give them a call or e-mail David at... vtrugco@accessvt.com He has a lot of pictures of their work. It is impressive, to say the least.
and tell them Perry Wright down in Texas gave you their name & number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating