Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times

Advertisements

The correct term I believe is textone. It is applied with a weird looking roller which makes those swirls and designs giving the drywall texture. I have seen this as my stepdad was a house painter. I have lived in houses built in the 1950s all the way to 2004 and each home was textoned. These homes also happened to be in the South and Southwest, so maybe that's the difference. Dunno, I can only speak from personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 AM

596 posts, read 2,876,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Texture covers a multitude of sin, and contractors who do a bang up job.
I have textured ceilings and sloooooooowwwwwwwllllllllyyyyyyy, one room at a time am scraping them down and redoing. Even if I wanted to do 1/4" drywall I'd have to scrape them.
I got a scraper on a pole from the flooring section of the BIG BOX and bent it to the angle I need.
It's 12"? I think. And it does gouge ocassionally and I've had to spackle and prime.
These people aught to be shot who do this. Or at least be made to have a lifetime commitment to paint when it needs it. HA! Yeh, right.! What am I smokin'?????

Good luck, w.i.j.g.
Do you spray it with water or something first, or just sort of 'scrape away'? You place must be PLASTERED lol

Old 09-05-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I love popcorn ceilings, especially with glitter. Textured walls make great backscratchers for those who live alone.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miokie View Post
I've been buying and selling houses since 1978 and I've never seen a smooth textured wall, other than one prepped for -ugh- wallpaper. So that's what I think when you say "smooth walls". Double ugh.

I love richly mudded painted walls. And smooth textured ceilings. We had all our ceiling popcorn scraped - this very week, in fact. When I try to imagine our walls matching the smooth ceilings, all that comes to mind it b-o-r-i-n-g.
I love our walls, we've redone most of them over the past 5 years, and the texture IMO is deep and rich and lovely. The best way I can describe it is it's more like a classical plaster, nothing remotely like popcorn.
I'm very confused when folks say "the drywall is textured". Drywall is always smooth. Texture is applied over drywall.
It would be great to see a picture of your walls.

You mentioned that you had all your home's popcorn ceiling scraped in a week - how was it done so fast?! Is there a simpler, cleaner way than what I'm imagining it to be? I am picturing all of those white crumbs EVERYWHERE, and dust getting into every nook and cranny of my house! Thanks

Old 09-05-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miokie View Post
Having just this week had ours scraped off by professionals, I just have to say "not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin".
It's hands down the messiest, most stressful remodeling job I've ever been through, and I've been doing them for 30+ years now. The contractor and his crew were wonderful, I can't fault them. It's just an unimaginably tedious, messy process. I'm happy we had it done, and I'm elated it's over.
We always work "top-down" on major projects, and this is exponentially more important when redoing ceilings. Having finished the ceilings, we're now reworking electrical (ceiling lights, mostly) and the walls, and then the last step will be the flooring.

edit to add: forgot to mention the crown molding that had to be removed and then redone. But in all this weirdness, that turns out to be the simplest byproduct of having our ceilings scraped.
A-Ha! Well...ignore my last message to you because this note explains more and answers my question...

Do you think it would have been easier to just have removed the ceiling and have new ones tacked up there and mudded and painted? I just can't fathom scraping off the "popcorn"!! (Or I should say, picking it all up and getting it out of everything afterwords)

Old 09-05-2009, 04:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
This is just a dumb concept coming from a guy who doesn't own a home, but works in one of those big box stores.

The way I see it, there are two ways to changed a textured wall to a smooth one. Either scrape it down, as some have suggested, or adding something TO it. It seems to me that covering the wall with something like joint compound or plaster would also do to smooth the wall, and be less work in the long run.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM

162 posts, read 633,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
Do you think it would have been easier to just have removed the ceiling and have new ones tacked up there and mudded and painted? I just can't fathom scraping off the "popcorn"!! (Or I should say, picking it all up and getting it out of everything afterwords)
Not sure what you're asking. It's a common procedure.
Our ceiling guy and crew put plastic coverings on the walls and floors, then scraped the ceiling. They removed the plastic (scooping up the popcorn mess), skimmed (ie mudded) the ceiling, then cleaned - vacuumed, swept, mopped - the debris that escaped the plastic.
We're priming and painting the ceilings.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
You mentioned that you had all your home's popcorn ceiling scraped in a week - how was it done so fast?! Is there a simpler, cleaner way than what I'm imagining it to be? I am picturing all of those white crumbs EVERYWHERE, and dust getting into every nook and cranny of my house! Thanks
The contractor and crew took care of most of the mess. It didn't stray as much as I had expected; there wasn't much 'dust' as such since they wet down the popcorn before scraping.
The scraped stuff fell on the plastic they had put down on the floor. They scooped, wrapped, and carried out the plastic, then vacuumed and mopped to pick up stray debris.

We've had all sorts of stuff done in many homes. The messiest ever was cutting a recessed floor down to level, which meant jackhammering down about 6 inches of concrete at the doors. THAT left dust throughout the house. Ditto jackhammering up some concrete to level out a floor in another house.
Scraping the ceilings resulted in lots and lots of wet gloop, but it was localized as contrasted with the dry dust of those jobs.
Did I answer your question?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
It would be great to see a picture of your walls.
If I can ever find my camera again (after stashing away everything in prep for the ceiling scraping) and if it takes decent pix of the texturing, I'll post one.
The walls are really lovely, kind of thick and wavy, nothing like what the posters here are describing. There's a name for the technique; Mr. Miokie knows it, I can't remember. We didn't use it throughout the entire house, that would be overkill. In other areas, we used a more common texture - again there's a name for it that I don't know.
No way you could 'scratch your back' on any of our walls, not sure what those posters mean. Some of our walls have that thick, wavy thing, others have what I'd call a flatter, minimalist effect. I'll ask mr. mio what they call the the two different techniques, but chances those folks complaining here won't recognize the terms.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Miokie--we considered having our ceilings scraped and remudded--but the cost was HIGH--like 2.50 a ft--do you mind saying what you were charged---
our contractor said that even after they were scraped it might take work/time/cost to get the uneven areas eavened up--before they mudded
and our daughter took down wallpaper in her bathroom several years ago and just painted the wallboard--that was not cool to me but she did not mind...
on the walls we are having textured and painted after removing wallpaper--we are going for something that looks almost smooth--like cake frosting smooth--not lot of movement...and no high ridges...because they are in rooms like the dining room and master bath--
the guy who is going the work for our contractor says that he can go any kind of texture we want--the knock-down look, or the orange peel, or that they can match the original texture look in the bedrooms which is not as dramatic as the kind that you can use for a backscratcher--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating