Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times

Advertisements

You've lived in a white world for 10 years. I say that you should give it a few days to get used to it. I'm in a similar situation. After 20 years of white, we have a new house that we are painting (no white). I'm sure it will be a shock to my system, but I'm really looking forward to a colorful life! If, after a few days, you don't love it, then try a different shade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
Here is a picture of how the bathroom turned out.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs221.snc1/6816_1243372325789_1273774060_30728332_6261813_n.j pg (broken link)

Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I know colors are hard to see (due to monitor variation) but that is really really lovely. I would consider adding either brown (funky/modern) or green (classic) accessories.

Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
OK... after more than 10 years of apartment life living in units painted various shades of beige, DH and I purchased our first home together last winter.

Having the ability to choose colors (wow! colors!!!) on my own is a bit of a shock to my system.

The house is a partially renovated 1940s bungalow with 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths.

The guest bathroom is a tiny, yet functional, space. It has the original black and white tile floor. The previous owners put up white wainscoting on the walls, and the toilet and pedestal sink are white with chrome hardware. The tub, however, is original and is a very light beige with a beige plastic-y surround. We have black towels and bathmat, with a white shower curtain up. The walls were painted a very blah bluish gray color. Not offensive in any way, just very bland.

As we are expecting houseguests in a couple of weeks, I asked DH to put up a shelf since this bath has absolutely no storage. I also asked him if he could patch up the holes in the walls left from the previous owners - they had a big cabinet on the wall that they took down, and left us with holes from the hardware.

Well, in the process of getting our shelf up, one of the pieces of the mounting hardware shattered as DH was putting it into place. He tried to remove it gently, but ended up tearing off a chunk of drywall.

So, after we patched and sanded the hole (and the former owners' holes - there were 4), we decided what the heck, let's repaint the room!

I thought I would choose a light lavender color for this room. We picked it off a paint chip, and DH bought the paint for me and got started while I was at work.

The first coat is now dry, and its a lot brighter than what I was expecting! It actually looks like the purple used on the Lady Speed Stick deodorant packaging (similar to this: Antiperspirant/Deodorant for Women, Sticks, Gels, Scented, Dry, No Residue | Lady Speed Stick®).

What are your thoughts - is it going to be "too much"? Have I gone into color overload????
Personally I would not go for very dark or vivid colors for all four walls, but think about it this way. A can of paint is relatively cheap. Much cheaper than new furniture, new flooring, or even new curtains. You can paint a room in an afternoon. If you paint a room and hate it, you can always paint over it.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
I think it looks great. Crisp & clean.
I have a very similar color in my guest bath & bedroom, but not as much white as you. I don't have the beadboard on the bottom.

Maybe a soft yellow, like spring crocuses that have purple with yellow & white.
In any case. It came out great. And I'm sure it being your first house, it was a work of love. Enjoy it.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for posting the picture. It is really really nice and actually the picture color looks a lot like the Sherman sample color.

I am relieved to know that you can rely on those color chips to get an idea of what the color looks like.

I actually like that color for a bedroom or even DD's room.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 AM

Thanks, plaidmom.

For now, we're keeping all of the accessories black and white... just being mindful of our budget as DH lost his job in January. Maybe I'll put a plant in there the bring in some of the green as you suggested.

I still can't believe how different the room looks. First thing I did this morning after I woke up was to go take a look at it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I know colors are hard to see (due to monitor variation) but that is really really lovely. I would consider adding either brown (funky/modern) or green (classic) accessories.

Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy!

Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 AM

Very true!

But now that I've got everything in there (towels, bathmat, shower curtain, and of course, the shelf!) I do like it a lot. The white of the beadboard really pops now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Personally I would not go for very dark or vivid colors for all four walls, but think about it this way. A can of paint is relatively cheap. Much cheaper than new furniture, new flooring, or even new curtains. You can paint a room in an afternoon. If you paint a room and hate it, you can always paint over it.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks, B4U. I think you and plaidmom are on the same wavelength with the idea of bringing in some flowers for a little extra color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I think it looks great. Crisp & clean.
I have a very similar color in my guest bath & bedroom, but not as much white as you. I don't have the beadboard on the bottom.

Maybe a soft yellow, like spring crocuses that have purple with yellow & white.
In any case. It came out great. And I'm sure it being your first house, it was a work of love. Enjoy it.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:47 AM

Thanks!

I think the color would be really pretty for a girl's bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Thanks so much for posting the picture. It is really really nice and actually the picture color looks a lot like the Sherman sample color.

I am relieved to know that you can rely on those color chips to get an idea of what the color looks like.

I actually like that color for a bedroom or even DD's room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating