Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
There is never enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to fix it.
OMG, I just dont even know what to say, talk about throwing good money after bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
There is never enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to fix it.
Very very good saying. I agree, probably because you are right !

Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
In one post you say the floors are ugly and beat up. In 2 other posts you say they are perfectly fine. Which is it? So why do you want to paint them?

They dont need redoing. They need replacing. Or just buy a damn rug and be done with it. You are moving to Kentucky so screw it. Let some one else worry about it.

Yes when there is a will there is a way but not when it's the wrong way.

I said they are horrid not beat up.

They are in excellent condition only about 16 or 17 years old just the finish is horrid. Big difference.

I'm going to combine the tile red and walnut. Wonder what I will get?

I'm doing it. I don't care what you folks think can't look worse then how they look now.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
This thread has deteriorated to the point where it may no longer be helpful.

I did catch this:

Quote:
To much for me to sand down and restain by myself. So I was thinking of painting them

Dear OP, in order to paint the floors with any sort of even semi-satisfactory resuslt, you will still need to sand and prime them.

So, if you are going to have to sand(that's the hard part)....why not stain and re-seal?
I think that is what is throwing people off here.

You say your floors are not the thin/cheap variety. Old, hardwood, parquet floors have been around for centuries (ever been to France? ) and many have been successfully restored.

The labor-intensive part is the sanding. You need a small orbital sander. It's not as easy as renting a big drum sander and having at it. I wonder if perhaps you could tackle one small section at a time?

Sometimes, when I am faced with a daunting task, it helps if I break it down into small chunks in my mind ( ask me about carrying ~2000 sq ft of stucco out of my basement sometime......).

Best of luck!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM

What ever

I'm doing it.

I want have to sand that much and I ain't going for perfection. IT will do I have seen lots of examples of them being done this way they are done alot in Europe and in New York apartments all the time or rather were. Alot of them still have the parquet floors.

I want do alot of prep work and that will be that. End of story

Plus a good clear coat can hide alot of imperfections. All is pretty cheap.

Another options would be maybe wood makers?
Be like I was in school again keeping it between the lines.

Then a nice clear coat and wah la.

Last edited by Beretta; 09-25-2009 at 08:55 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,979 times
I guess I don't understand what is so critical about fixing the finish on your floors. I can see doing a hack job on a plumbing repair or something that requires immediate attention to avoid further property damage. But this is just the finish on your floors. It's not upping your electric bill. It's not flooding the laundry room. It's just unsightly - not costing you any money. Why damage your property just to satisfy some urge to tinker?

Before you paint, get a few FREE quotes to find out your cost options. Find out how much it would cost to refinish the floors in their current condition and hypothetically, how much it would cost to refinish those same floors if they had several coats of paint on them. Considering you may sell your home in the next few years, it's important to not do things that will ultimately cost you more in time and money in the long run.

Money is a real and limited resource for pretty much all of us on the board and no one would knowingly want to ultimately spend 2-3x more on a project when there are ways to do the job and spend much less.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:35 AM

I thought I would post this site for all your wonder laminate owners.

How to Paint Laminate Floors | eHow.com
I read some place else you can apply the polyurethane sealer every two years for up keep.

By the way I'm looking a some laminate right now for replacement but unsure why.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:37 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
I like the comment at the bottom of the link.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Quote:
Or for someone with the right skills to buy the place at a steep discount and then rework it the right way

Great for them, not so great for the person who made negative-value "improvements" and wants to sell the place.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
I like the comment at the bottom of the link.
That comment was probably invisable on her page. But good eye motormaker. I would not have even read that far along on such an amature site. That is pretty funny though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating