Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:21 PM

110 posts, read 657,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Broad stripes of gold, brick red and navy or hunter green for all....or just for french doors? Gold with brick red trim for dining room?
Do you still think that I should go with the awning valance for the kitchen? My husband was impressed by that idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 08:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Redlove, I really would not introduce black unless its already a strong presence in the room. I would stay with the red/gold, since it is already in the room.
Its late, I will post some fabrics that would be perfect tomorrow.........the pattern on your furniture is the high point, everything else should be subtle, the window treatments should just be a counterpoint, you know?
If your bay were deeper, I would do the above window treatment, but its a VERY shallow bay......too big and deep a treatment, its gonna eat the space.........

Old 10-31-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Redlove, I really would not introduce black unless its already a strong presence in the room. I would stay with the red/gold, since it is already in the room.
Its late, I will post some fabrics that would be perfect tomorrow.........the pattern on your furniture is the high point, everything else should be subtle, the window treatments should just be a counterpoint, you know?
If your bay were deeper, I would do the above window treatment, but its a VERY shallow bay......too big and deep a treatment, its gonna eat the space.........
Actually the scallop valances would be for the two french doors, not the kitchen :-). But I agree with you that something light/subtle should be used for the living room. Do you have any other ideas/suggestions for the kitchen bay window?
Thank you very much. I look forward to seeing the fabrics tomorrow :-)

Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlove View Post
Do you still think that I should go with the awning valance for the kitchen? My husband was impressed by that idea
I really think the awning would be a great idea....and y'all are fashionable, but whimsical too! You have the perfect setting for something like that. Also, if, as Kshegirl said, the stripes would be too contradictory, the gold with deep red trim (tassels were definitely going through my mind...K) LOL would look fabulous on an awning as well!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I really think the awning would be a great idea....and y'all are fashionable, but whimsical too! You have the perfect setting for something like that. Also, if, as Kshegirl said, the stripes would be too contradictory, the gold with deep red trim (tassels were definitely going through my mind...K) LOL would look fabulous on an awning as well!
Now that you mentioned "whimsical", I am wondering if that kitchen project is a good choice after all May be not

Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 AM

256 posts, read 1,390,549 times
Redlove your floors are gorgeous. What are they made of?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
Redlove your floors are gorgeous. What are they made of?
Spanish tile (I forgot the name/style ;-)). It is not the best choice for "tuscany style" because it is shinny. But we wanted to choose something with easy maintenance :-)

Old 11-01-2009, 06:10 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Redlove,
There are some gorgeous fabric examples on High Quality Blinds and Best Price for Drapes and Home Decor . I was looking at the shorter rod valences, just for color inspirations. I know that kshegirl is the expert here,(you're awesome girl) but with your heavy furniture, I really think there are some muted stripes that would go incredibly well with your room. It's too bad you couldn't get a couple of throw pillows made from the same fabric to break up the print on your furniture. Although your furniture is absolutely gorgeous and to die for...it almost seems as if there's just too much of that same pattern. A large subtle striped pattern in a fabric (silk?) with a rich sheen, could be gorgeous! There are several on this site, but the "Whitney Sunrise" has a wonderful rich glow to it. The pages before that sample have some great inspiration samples too. Oh how I don't envy your dilemna. LOL

On Prettywindows.com there are a couple of other examples of some materials...Sorrento, Lucas? Not necessarily the fabric, but just the idea of what's available. Mind you, I don't know your exact taste, but when I first saw your living room and furniture, the first thing that popped into my head was the fact that I expected to see a rich muted striped pattern on the window valances and some throw pillows...something with rich heavy trim and fabric with a sheen to it. Although, if you went with the solid silk on the valences, the light playing on the folds of the fabric would give you that striped fabric without it actually being built in. That wouldn't work on the throw pillows though. Just some thoughts to further confound your mind.

Last edited by beachmel; 11-01-2009 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 11-01-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Redlove,
There are some gorgeous fabric examples on High Quality Blinds and Best Price for Drapes and Home Decor . I was looking at the shorter rod valences, just for color inspirations. I know that kshegirl is the expert here,(you're awesome girl) but with your heavy furniture, I really think there are some muted stripes that would go incredibly well with your room. It's too bad you couldn't get a couple of throw pillows made from the same fabric to break up the print on your furniture. Although your furniture is absolutely gorgeous and to die for...it almost seems as if there's just too much of that same pattern. A large subtle striped pattern in a fabric (silk?) with a rich sheen, could be gorgeous! There are several on this site, but the "Whitney Sunrise" has a wonderful rich glow to it. The pages before that sample have some great inspiration samples too. Oh how I don't envy your dilemna. LOL

On Prettywindows.com there are a couple of other examples of some materials...Sorrento, Lucas? Not necessarily the fabric, but just the idea of what's available. Mind you, I don't know your exact taste, but when I first saw your living room and furniture, the first thing that popped into my head was the fact that I expected to see a rich muted striped pattern on the window valances and some throw pillows...something with rich heavy trim and fabric with a sheen to it. Although, if you went with the solid silk on the valences, the light playing on the folds of the fabric would give you that striped fabric without it actually being built in. That wouldn't work on the throw pillows though. Just some thoughts to further confound your mind.
Hi Mel,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Could you please send the link for the "Whitney Sunrise" style? I could not find it on the site.

Thanks again,
Redlove

Old 11-01-2009, 12:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Redlove, here are a few fabric examples........
Hampton Russett, P. Kaufmann, Spice, Pepper, Fabrics

this stripe would work, notice how small the stripes are?

Oakville Stripe Cinnabar, Waverly

Poly rayon cotton diamond upholstery fabric. 1.4" repeat. 54" wide

Washed chenille tapestry. Perfect for any decorating project Lovely thick and soft fabric. 54" wide

I love this website, you can get samples from them, here are some trim examples.

lovelovelove this!
Sausalito Cedar Tassle Fringe

Gailla 106 tassle fringe

Onion Ball Cherry Grove NT4770
I would give the same suggestion as Mel, I do pillows out of the same fabric as the drapes onto the furniture. I would also work a bit of green into the design scheme, green is the best friend of red and gold!
Are the kitchen wondows visible from the living room? If they are, you might wish to give some thought to using the same window treatments in both rooms to give som continuity and flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating